10+ Year Old Account

"upgrading" my friends PC, wise?

So guys, I thought id sell my old PC hardware since i dont need it for "cheap" to someone I know.

His current PC isn't amazing, includes:

Nvidia 7100
    230W PSU
    2.8Ghz (Pentium 4 since he said its 4 core
    Acer MCP73PV mobo
    3GB RAM

So id would give him

Asus Gaming GT8600 used
    430W PSU used
    My £10 thermal paste for his CPU
    AMD CPU fan which i have no idea if it would work on a Pentium chip (i got the fan from my x2 555 BE never used ...)
    Blue Led Case FAN

All for £25 quid

thoughts?
    Last edited by Mister K; 2011-09-18 at 09:04 PM.
    -K

>get job
    >save money
    >buy badass gaming desktop
    >everyone is happy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immaguy View Post
    >get job
    >save money
    >buy badass gaming desktop
    >everyone is happy.
    This is for him, only temp upgrade for £25 ... He has job but he has PS3 so guess money on that and games.... At the end of the day, its you know me making money so im glad to sell the stuff, just wondering if it all fit well... which it should... and if its fair price ;3
    -K

Deleted
    Your CPU cooler is unlikely to work with his system. Different sockets use different measurements.

You need to check whether his computer's graphics card uses AGP or PCI-E, and compare that to the connection of your graphics card.

lol would probably be a good upgrade for him, though still really crappy o.O
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Your CPU cooler is unlikely to work with his system. Different sockets use different measurements.

You need to check whether his computer's graphics card uses AGP or PCI-E, and compare that to the connection of your graphics card.
    Already checked, his mobo supports PCI-E (from the picture lol) ... Cheers for replies tho

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    lol would probably be a good upgrade for him, though still really crappy o.O
    Yeah told him its temp fix ... He mainly plays Minecraft and Killing Floor afaik ....

cheers 4 replies
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    Pentium 4 doesn't mean 4 cores
    And the CPU probably supports dual channel memory, so 3GB aren't really good. He's better off with 2!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zkeya View Post
    Pentium 4 doesn't mean 4 cores
    And the CPU probably supports dual channel memory, so 3GB aren't really good. He's better off with 2!
    He has 4GB memory, 32bit Windows can only support up to 3.3GB.
    Yeh didnt think P4 meant 4 cores... but yeh his cpu is P4, 2.4Ghz. I was gonna give him my x2 Athlon 2.2Ghz with a brandnew stock cpu cooler which came with my 1100t (not really my 1100t but still ...)

Anyway had to get a molex to serial ata (i think) connector which i had at home since the mercury 400w PSU didnt have it. Also mobo 24pin converter ...

Will add it to his PC tmoz... if you see how much dust there was in .... holy cow... like spider living in there, a whole family infact lol :3

Also his 7600GT was onboard GPU, so now he will have dedicated 8600GT which should be bigger boost and take stress of mobo (i guess, common sense heh)...
    -K

10+ Year Old Account
    when I put the GPU you in and turn it on, the fan moves but I get no signal. Even after I installed latest drivers and disabled (also tried uninstalling) the onboard graphics. I took the 8600GT home and it works fine on my PC so it must be some setting on his PC.

He is using 7100 nForce630i onboard
    Iv fitted 8600GT 512MB
    His mobo is something Aspire 3XXXX.. or 5XXXX... from around 2004-2006
    He is using Vista32

Any suggestions what I could do? I tried to look for some gpu options through his bios but didnt find anything.... Maybe some jumpers on the mobo that disable onboard?

/bump
    -K