Thread: Corsair H100.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Smile Corsair H100.

Hello everyone!

I'm willing to get myself a new CPU Cooler very soon. I'm currently having a Cooler Master V8 and, to be frank, I didn't like it in the first place. The only reason I have this cooler, is because the shop wasn't giving me a wide variety of coolers back when I was buying for my new system build, and I had to pick the V8.

So, a while ago, I was trying to find a cooler that at least can be on par with the Noctua NH-D14 (performance wise), while maintaining a smaller size, so according to some reviews, the Corsair H100 seems to be 'the one'. I think I'm leaning towards the H100 so far, and I was wondering if someone that already has it could at least confirms me that it's, indeed, a very good cooler.

Also, I'm using a Cooler Master HAF X. I wonder if it would be possible to mount the radiator on top without removing the 200mm fans? I'd appreciate any advice or information.

Thank you.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have the HAF X too, I believe you could mount it on the under side of the fans.... though don't quote me on that. I'm leery about that. You'll probably have to take the fans out to install it anyways, but depending on how it works, you may be able to reinstall them after it is in.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Smaller. That totally depends. All-in-all, the H100 is probably bigger than the Noctua NH-D14. However, it doesn't occupy the same room around the CPU-mount. On the flipside again, it does run into compatability issues with some cases.

As for its cooling performance, you have no reason to worry. The H100 is at least on-par, but most likely better than the Noctua NH-D14. This coming from someone with the Noctua NH-D14.

I'm not able to answer the last question though. On top, you do mean in the roof, yes? I'm hesitant to respond, but I'm inclined to think 'no'. Don't take my word for it though, it was a long time since I saw a HAF X in person, and that wasn't what I was looking at, at the time.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Smaller. That totally depends. All-in-all, the H100 is probably bigger than the Noctua NH-D14. However, it doesn't occupy the same room around the CPU-mount. On the flipside again, it does run into compatability issues with some cases.

As for its cooling performance, you have no reason to worry. The H100 is at least on-par, but most likely better than the Noctua NH-D14. This coming from someone with the Noctua NH-D14.

I'm not able to answer the last question though. On top, you do mean in the roof, yes? I'm hesitant to respond, but I'm inclined to think 'no'. Don't take my word for it though, it was a long time since I saw a HAF X in person, and that wasn't what I was looking at, at the time.
    Some testers have shown it to just barely surpass the D14.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Some testers have shown it to just barely surpass the D14.
    Your confirmation to what I wrote has been noted.
    I'd say both coolers are pretty much already pushing the limits of what you can do with aircooling. There's not much room for improvements, larger than 'barely'.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    On top, you do mean in the roof, yes?
    Actually I meant the top while inside the case.
    "Those mortal shells that we call bodies, are not ours to keep. The body is a gift of earth that must, one day, be returned from whence it came"

Love my H100.

Have had it running for about a month now in my Lian Li K58W. A few weeks back you could get it on NewEgg for $90 shipped but now its back up to $120.

When I bought it I knew it would be comparable to high end air coolers but that didnt matter. I just wanted to get rid of the ugly bulky silver hunk of metal in the middle of my case. Looks awesome, the radiator is concealed in the top of my case and overall my computer just looks clean. The H100 is my favorite addition by far.

Quote Originally Posted by jfuze View Post
    Love my H100.

Have had it running for about a month now in my Lian Li K58W. A few weeks back you could get it on NewEgg for $90 shipped but now its back up to $120.

When I bought it I knew it would be comparable to high end air coolers but that didnt matter. I just wanted to get rid of the ugly bulky silver hunk of metal in the middle of my case. Looks awesome, the radiator is concealed in the top of my case and overall my computer just looks clean. The H100 is my favorite addition by far.
    That is awesome! How are the stock fans that came with it perform so far? I actually heard they're quite noisy and some people recommend getting either Noctua fans instead for even better performance or the Typhoons.

The stock-fans on the H100 is a huge improvement as far as the previous iterations of their Hydro-series. They can also be RPM-reduced (Yea, my English sucks at almost 7am, I need to go to bed)

I don't think you will dissappointed either way; Corsair/Noctua/GT. Personally, I find that the GT-fans are a good compromise between silence and performance. I'd recommend 1450 or 1850 RPM-versions. It might be a rumour, but I've heard I appreciate silent computers.
    If you run four Gentle Typhoon fans in Push/pull-push/pull and use it as exhausting air, you probably won't need that 200mm fan.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread. I've actually found a video, showing that it's possible to have to the 200mm fan while having the H100 underneath it. I'll get to the shop in a few hours, install it, then I'll check how things will go.

Once again, thanks everyone!

10+ Year Old Account
    Overclockersclub,com did a H100 review and test setup about a week ago. From what it looks like, stock settings just barely beat the NH-D14 on overclocked systems.

But I have a feeling with a push/pull config, the H100 would pull ahead by at least 5-6 C. Possibly more.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    Overclockersclub,com did a H100 review and test setup about a week ago. From what it looks like, stock settings just barely beat the NH-D14 on overclocked systems.

But I have a feeling with a push/pull config, the H100 would pull ahead by at least 5-6 C. Possibly more.
    Can't access the page. :| I'd very much like to read it.
    And what are the stock settings? Out-of-the box?
    And a push/pull-configuration doesn't inherently add more airflow as much as it increases the static pressure. Beat it? Likely. 5-6°C? Doubtful. In an extreme overclock, like pushing a Lynnfield to 4.2-4.4GHz (Sandy Bridge being a poor choice on account of how impervious to cooling it is, and Bloomfield being just silly amount of heat with HT on), I can actually see it beating it with as high as 1-2°C. Which is quite a lot (assuming four high-RPM fans on the H100 and three high-RPM fans on the NH-D14).

10+ Year Old Account
    Stock being the 2 fans it comes with on "Performance" setting, according to OCC.

And the H100 already beats the NH-D14 on the OCd 920 to 166x20 on the multiplier by 1 C. Add another 2, better quality, fans or just replace all 4 fans with better fans and you have a pretty amazing setup.

Overclock.net also has an H100 thread up and running about different scenarios and configs used by the posters. One I've noticed is there is an i5 2500k OCd to 5Ghz and doesn't pass 80 C on a push/pull with Noctua NF-P12s. Not sure exactly how great that is....if it's even considered great.
    Intel i5-2500k @ 4.6GHz 1.36v | Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler | ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) | MSI GTX 570 Twin Frozr III
    Corsair AX 850W PSU | Mushkin Blackline 8GB 8-8-8-24 1.5v | Coolermaster HAF 922 | ASUS VH238H 23" LED Monitor
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    Stock being the 2 fans it comes with on "Performance" setting, according to OCC.

And the H100 already beats the NH-D14 on the OCd 920 to 166x20 on the multiplier by 1 C. Add another 2, better quality, fans or just replace all 4 fans with better fans and you have a pretty amazing setup.

Overclock.net also has an H100 thread up and running about different scenarios and configs used by the posters. One I've noticed is there is an i5 2500k OCd to 5Ghz and doesn't pass 80 C on a push/pull with Noctua NF-P12s. Not sure exactly how great that is....if it's even considered great.
    166*20 is barely an overclock on a 920.
    The Noctua NH-D14 really shines in severe overclocks, so push the 920 to 4200MHz andthencompare, for more honest comparisons.
    I'm not saying the NH-D14 will win, I'm saying that you need to try it in realistic scenarios. Even stock cooler would work for 166*20.
    Sandy Bridges cool exceptionally on air, so there's nothing new with that. But frankly, apart from the different form-factor, I see nothing to warrant the big price-premium on the H100, let alone with the additional 2-4 fans to make it outshine the NH-D14 and its stock fans. The cooler already costs 50% more than the NH-D14.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2011-09-26 at 06:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know that the multiplier isn't that high, but there is a pretty decent possibility that the NH-D14 could be passed up by the H100.

Although, I do agree that having to add additional fans and, if you go crazy, replace all 4 fans makes the H100 a bit unrealistic. You're talking at least double the cost right there. Better to just go with what you know will work amazingly well.

Edit - Works amazingly well and doesn't require 2 120mm fan mounting areas on your case. Thus making it a bit more universal as long as your case is wide enough.
    Last edited by Muya; 2011-09-26 at 06:32 AM.
    Crucial m4 256GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account
    Having just built a rig with the HAF X and the Corsair Hydro H100 in question, although i armed it with 4 * Scythe Gentle Typhoon 3000 RPMs.

The thing cools amazingly well, overclocked @ 4.8GHz i7 2600K @ 1,4V the average core temp was 63 degrees C with a max of 72 degrees C on some cores when tested with Prime96 64bit Version 2.66

It makes noise though, not whiny or w/e, but rushing of air, the 20CM fan on top can remain where it is, but you WILL have to remove it to mount the H100 in the first place, afterwards you can place it back, it does help with inner case temps.

Update: Bought the H100. Got it up and running, and the temperatures so far are pretty nice (at least compared to the temps I had with the V8). Also I finally get to see the red eye logo from my Maximus 4 Extreme.

So, regarding the noise that comes from the fans.. guys, I'll have to say it's that kind of sound that's like music to my ears. I don't know why some people find it "noisy" but it's just lovely, at least to me.

Hopefully I'll be able to actually post a screen shot of it and share it with you guys soon enough.
    Last edited by Static; 2011-09-27 at 02:59 AM.

The H100 is subpar to the H80 unless you get 4 fans for push pull then its a powerhouse. H80 keeps things as cool as an H100 otherwise and cost's a bit less. the CM v8 is amazing Looking. Pre H80(push/pull) i was using an a70 which is pretty good on a i5-2500k given the haf 922 w/ 3 200mm fans i was able to push 4.5ghz no need for more personally.

However its not like 2 more fans is going to break your bank but it may break room in your case rofl. The CM v10 is just hilarious

I have been wanting to get one myself, but I am unsure of how well it will fit into my Antec DF-85.

Quote Originally Posted by Irloki View Post
    I have been wanting to get one myself, but I am unsure of how well it will fit into my Antec DF-85.
    Yes it will.

Check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAGaF...eature=related