Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Blood elf or Tauren?

What is better for ret/prot and why?

kinda depends if you are very serious about min/maxing and what will you use it for, for prot in pve i would have to say tauren, for pvp i would probably say belf cuz of the silencing racial

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. It depends more on what you want to do with your Paladin.

Both races have utilities that have essentially the same level of use- an AoE stun or silence. Both of these are useful in PvP, but I'd hold that the Blood Elf's has more of a function in PvE seeing as it gives a tiny mana boost. I'm not sure the state of Paladin healing mana problems, but it's an extra heal, maybe, if in a really bad spot. Hindsight, a Tauren would probably be best for tanking seeing as they have a health boost, however small it is.

I think, though, it really just boils down to whether you'd like to play a Bull that walks on its hind legs or an androgynous race of pretty boys.
    Last edited by MephistoXVIII; 2011-09-27 at 04:16 AM.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Tauren racials are more or less useless for paladins, especially compared to blood elves. An instant aoe silence/interrupt that boosts you enough mana to get an emergency heal off > short stun with a cast time. PvE and PvP. The tiny health boost makes little difference. 5% base is like 0.5% real health.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't BE have less STR base than Taurens?

Just asking

Quote Originally Posted by Caio View Post

Just asking
    Don't BE have more base INT though? Makes me wonder what spec this guy wants to be.

Just asking
    I think they normalized all of the base stats at 85.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    Don't BE have more base INT though? Makes me wonder what spec this guy wants to be.
    he says "ret/prot" in the 1st post

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 06:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Banzubie View Post
    thank you sir

In terms of racial; Blood elf.

Reason being that War Stomp shares DR with HoJ, so Arcane Torrent is superior by quite a lot. (Arcane Torrent works like an interrupt in PvE and restores a small amount of mana, which is basically useless for prot/ret. PvP-wise it silences for 2 seconds and prevents a DK from using any spells (This includes his interrupt.))
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Girls who play Warriors?! What the hell? My world was just turned upside down. Did they remove the Paladin from the game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzubie View Post
    cant find evidence that they did, in truly, i found the opposite

can you help me with this info?

I googlied and even wowwiki shows the stats...tauren have more str, BE more int

cant find evidence that they did, in truly, i found the opposite

can you help me with this info?

I googlied and even wowwiki shows the stats...tauren have more str, BE more int
    Yes, you are indeed correct, but the difference is miniscule.

Tauren base stats at 85;
    Strength 169
    Agility 93
    Stamina 157
    Intellect 102
    Spirit 116

Blood Elf base stats at 85;
    Strength 161
    Agility 99
    Stamina 156
    Intellect 109
    Spirit 112

As you can see, the difference is a meager 8 strength, which is nothing.
    Girls who play Warriors?! What the hell? My world was just turned upside down. Did they remove the Paladin from the game?

Do people seriously not read the first post before posting in threads? People asking what spec he wants to be when his post is 8 words long and says what 2 specs he is asking about.

Anyway to answer your question for ret it really doesn't matter, neither has any racials that are really worth anything in pve. Prot tauren has a small hp advantage.

Deleted
    Whichever you like better. I suggest tauren if you want a male character and BE if you want a female.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    Prot/Ret = Tauren.

especially better for prot because the stam bonus. Not to mention "War Stomp" is even better in PvE AND PvP situations as those specs (if you ever go holy go blood elf ).
    The tauren health bonus isn't even 2000 health at level 85, so it's rather negligible. Also using warstomp while tanking is fail because it has a casttime (that gets longer when you get pounded on) - and while casting you cannot dodge, block or parry.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    Tauren have a tiny bit of strength. Tauren have an AoE stun and Belves have a AoE Silence. Really just depends on your personal preference.

If you dont mind the blood elf "look" i suggest you go blood elf. For prot/ret the racials are negligible, but if you some day want to go holy, the blood elf racial IS usefull for holy. It's an instant 6% NOT BASE mana return.

Quote Originally Posted by Yourcatdead View Post
    Prot/Ret = Tauren.

especially better for prot because the stam bonus. Not to mention "War Stomp" is even better in PvE AND PvP situations as those specs (if you ever go holy go blood elf ).
    No, it's fiercely inferior in pvp because it shares diminishing returns with Hammer of Justice, which is bad. However, on the other side of the page, Arcane Torrent shares Diminishing returns with silences, but for those cases where you don't play with anyone who has Strangulate or CS/Spell Lock (CS/Spell Lock only blanket duration is reduced) Arcane Torrent is superior, so overall I would choose Arcane Torrent over War Stomp any day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desirie View Post
    Yes, you are indeed correct, but the difference is miniscule.

Tauren base stats at 85;
    Strength 169
    Agility 93
    Stamina 157
    Intellect 102
    Spirit 116

Blood Elf base stats at 85;
    Strength 161
    Agility 99
    Stamina 156
    Intellect 109
    Spirit 112

As you can see, the difference is a meager 8 strength, which is nothing.
    thank you!

8 str is something for me(i'm going to horde on my new server), think i'll reroll tauren for that...(yeah, i know...just 8, but its 20% of a gem lol)
    Last edited by Caio; 2011-09-27 at 01:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah quite, instead of 10K hit you will hit for 10050 for example, thats huge difference! /sracasm off
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Tauren, they look so much better in heavy plate armor, and the sunwalker kodos are adorable :3

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann