Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Rimworld released today.

I got this fantastic game as early access when it was released on steam like 3 years ago .... and so far it has given me over 500 hours of pure fun. and today it did get a full release.

This is to me how early access for a ( very small) developer is done in a good way.

To those that do not know what this game is ..... well it is a top down real time strategy survival single player game with heavy focus on base building and the social *life* of your settlers kinda a mix of The sims, dwarf fortress, farmville and mad max.

every colonist you have has a mix of good and bad taints with *skills* to do different things like crafting, cooking, shooting and so on.

at the games start you pick a *storyteller* that throws events at your base at random intervals and difficulty that is from enemy colonies attacking you to friendly traders to packs of mad rabbits roaming the area. or just plain illness hitting your settlers ( and much more ) you can at any point change storyteller and difficulty.

the game has also from the start been open to be modded and that has given us some really fantastic mods, that let you change the game as you like

this is the release trailer :

I know the look of the game might turn some people away but this is truly a case where gameplay and the way the game feels is much much better then how it looks.

i mostly type this up to see if we have other people here that is playing this little gem of a game but felt i had to explain what the game is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    And so starts my colony of cannibalistic, dagon-worshipping, slaver shipgirls.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    And so starts my colony of cannibalistic, dagon-worshipping, slaver shipgirls.
    Do not forget growing drugs ... harvesting organs from prisoners for profit or the *cat farm* where you make hats ....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Do not forget growing drugs ... harvesting organs from prisoners for profit or the *cat farm* where you make hats ....
    I only make my cowboy hats out of human leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I only make my cowboy hats out of human leather.
    fair point !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by joebob42 View Post
    It's too bad the game looks like trash. Sounds like a fun concept, but terribad execution.
    Someone clarly never played dwarf fortress.

It's too bad the game looks like trash. Sounds like a fun concept, but terribad execution.
    thing is tho .... over a million copies sold already in EA ( thru steam and directly on there website ) you can go look at the steam user reviews there is over 17k of them now, and you will not find many negative so those that did buy the game is happy.

i have many many triple A titles on my steam account but the 3 games i have used most time on is :

FTL
    Binding of Isaac
    Rimworld

all those games that are not pleasing for the eyes but they have SO much replayability and a solid core content.

Deleted
    So is this a game about rimming?

I'm doing a tribal start as my second colony in a boreal forest. I learned a lot from my first colony (technically second), with an extremely inefficient layout and a map with lots of hills and mountains, not to mention I thought I was lucky I tamed 2 Thromboses early on and started breeding them only to find out later that I made the game much harder for myself by making myself "wealthy", spending lots of work on them and reloading every time one of them managed to kill itself. This time I'll go with an open fields map to have plenty of building space, I'm going with indoor growing and I'll start selling statues the moment my perimeter wall is up and I can get wealthy with little risk. I'm getting some nice rolls on my starting pawns too. I'll start to breed polar bears the moment I can too both for hauling and pants/shirts.

15+ Year Old Account
    One of the best games ever made.

10+ Year Old Account
    Correct. I've never heard of that.
    See, if you saw dwarf fortress, you wouldnt be complaining about graphic.

gotta love rimworld
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zexism View Post

gotta love rimworld
    Lacks dementia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Usually not my kind of game, but after watching Sseth Tzeentach’s review of it I’m very tempted to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    Usually not my kind of game, but after watching Sseth Tzeentach’s review of it I’m very tempted to give it a go.
    gotta buy the book tho
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

You guys make me miss DF... ah well I'm really bored at work anyway, I'll fire it up.
    They always told me I would miss my family... but I never miss from close range.

10+ Year Old Account
    That feeling when you captured guy, cut of his arms and legs (and kidney) and few months later you get sieged, and he is among attackers.

And New Order - Elegia starts playing.

Deleted
    I have a moded colony where when I kill raids I take the bodies, butcher them, proccess the meat to make nutrient paste wich fuels a clone facility that clones my main pawn who has the best mental traits, then once the clones are made I replace their body parts with bionic ones and inject them luciferum to buff them as much as possible, finally I set them in cryptosleep caskets to, when I get attacked, release a bunch of super engineer soldiers to destroy anything that cames to me. And that is not even one of the messed up things I´ve done.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looks terrific, very similar graphical style to Prison Architect.

I love the concept of these sort of games, but I usually find them a bit intimidating. Despite having years of experience in old school roguelikes such as nethack and ADOM, I could never get to grips with Dwarf Fortress. Rimworld at least looks like it might be *moderately* more accessible : I've added it to my wishlist for the December holiday, thanks OP!

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanish4ever View Post
    I have a moded colony where when I kill raids I take the bodies, butcher them, proccess the meat to make nutrient paste wich fuels a clone facility that clones my main pawn who has the best mental traits, then once the clones are made I replace their body parts with bionic ones and inject them luciferum to buff them as much as possible, finally I set them in cryptosleep caskets to, when I get attacked, release a bunch of super engineer soldiers to destroy anything that cames to me. And that is not even one of the messed up things I´ve done.
    I love it <3