View Poll Results: Will the Auction House kill Diablo 3?

Voters
244. This poll is closed
  • No

154 63.11%
  • Yes

34 13.93%
  • I'm going to make SO much money!!

56 22.95%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    If they show up there and can be made a profit on, I can see that happening.

But then again, what's the problem? If somebody posts up on the gold AH an item and it sells, he makes a gold profit - and thus he's happy. Clearly that person didn't care about selling the item for real in-game money... otherwise he would've posted up on the RMAH.
    Yea but this will have an effect on people that would like to purchase items through gold and try to avoid RMAH.
    Last edited by Holy Popcorn; 2011-10-05 at 05:56 AM. Reason: typo

10+ Year Old Account
    The RMAH shouldn't be seen from a Diablo player view only, it about the bigger picture.

Community should have boycott this move, at least i'm doing it and although
    - i can afford it
    - i don't really have a problem with others buying items for real money
    i think that's games should be limited to retail price and maybe a monthly fee for maintenance reasons etc only and should not reward people according to their wallet because the time that we will be asked to pay for every single item in games it's not far, a premium-sub gaming is the last thing we need.

So yeah i was excited about Diablo II but i will just skip it since my only valid form of complaining is not buying the product.
    Α lot of interesting games coming next year that and don't ask for your money beside the game price.

Bottom line
    Will RMAH have an impact?
    - I really doubt.
    Should have an impact
    - Hell yeah.
    Last edited by Keosen; 2011-10-05 at 08:02 AM.

No, but I think its a little stupid. Might kill a bit of the gathering part of the game, but not the game itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Quote Originally Posted by aquzuqa View Post
    Just for clarification, You can not actually make money using the RMAH the system Blizz is having set up with paypal is you will only be able to withdrawl the amount of money you invested in the accout. I.E. If you never put money in the accoutn you can not take money out. But on the flip side you can use any money in that account to purchase any blizzard product.
    Source for this claim? Knowing Paypal, you can indeed withdraw money from that account that you didn't put in yourself. My understanding of the system is the following:

There are two directions that payments can go. From you into the game, and from the game to you.

Paying into the game: Your bank account --> Paypal account --> Blizzard bnet account 'wallet'. You can then use this cash on the Blizzard store, RMAH items/gold, etc.

Game paying to you: Someone buys an item of yours on the RMAH --> your bnet account 'wallet'. Then you can either use this cash on RMAH items or Blizzard store items. OR you can transfer it to your Paypal account (and be charged a minor fee). From there you can transfer it from your Paypal account into your personal bank account for a further fee payable to Paypal.

Now, I could be wrong, but this is what I was lead to believe after perusing currently available documentation on this subject. If anyone can dispute this with evidence to back up their claims, then feel free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by aquzuqa View Post
    Just for clarification, You can not actually make money using the RMAH the system Blizz is having set up with paypal is you will only be able to withdrawl the amount of money you invested in the accout. I.E. If you never put money in the accoutn you can not take money out. But on the flip side you can use any money in that account to purchase any blizzard product.
    Errrm... This is wrong.

When you list an auction on the RMAH you will have to choose at that time where your funds will end up. Once they enter your wallet you must use it om blizzard products, if you chose pay pal the auction will end and the money will go to pay pal. You don't have to spend ANY of your own money you can start from 0 and still make money, this has been stated several times so how people are still confused baffles me.

Deleted
    I will only use the in-game money auction house. I will stay as far away as possible from the real money auction house, that's just horrible.

Deleted
    There is no one forcing you to use the RMAH. Such thing wont ruin the amazing gameplay and lore, people are being too itchy with this.

And im 100% sure there will be plenty of wonderful items up for in-game gold since it actually cost a small fee to list items on the RMAH.

Quote Originally Posted by BishopXQ View Post
    Will the selling of gear in Diablo 3 for real money ruin the game?
    will the posting of silly threads never end?! i'd say let's just wait until the first DIABLO 3 KILLER comes out!

if your sense of enjoyment is based on comparing your virtual pixels to other peoples pixels the diablo 3 ah is the worst thing ever. if you enjoy playing video games for story/gameplay/rpg stuff then your fine :3
    Professor Membrane: anyone that would build a space/time object replacement device is a complete MORON "echo" Moron" "fadeing more" moron
    Invader Zim: GIR the space/time object replacement device is ready

For those who say "those who buy will continue to buy, it doesn't impact me" is incorrect. That concept is true only if you never use AH. If you will use AH at all, RMAH will have an impact on you.

The reasoning:
    1. There WILL be farmers. And we might see a whole new generation of "farmers". This new generation is farmers that go between AH and RMAH on top of the traditional farming.

2. There WILL be gold buyers. And you will end up competing against gold buyers.

Now back to how RMAH has an impact on every AH user. Usually when you sell something, you go on AH and check the prices on AH to determine how much that item can sell for. If you determine the value of an item this way, then you are already being controlled by RMAH. The reason is since there will be farmers and gold buyers then everything will boil down to gold/dollar.

Let's use item X as an example. Item X sells for 5 dollars on RMAH and you can buy 100g for 1 dollars, how much do you think you will see item X on AH? Keep in mind that you will compete against gold buyers and there will be farmers that periodically scan AH to buy things in order to make real money. Item X will ultimately end up on AH for 500g. If someone posts item X for 300g, farmers will buy it out and repost on AH for 500g or 5 dollars on RMAH. If someone posts item X for 700g, then you, as a player, can go sell 500g on RMAH for 5 dollars and buy item X for 5 dollars. As a result, you simply cannot sell item X for 700g. Prices will of course fluctuate once your item X is the only one left on both AH and RMAH but my point is RMAH ultimately controls the price.

Supply and demand still plays a role here. But let's say you don't like RMAH so you don't want to use it. So on your next quest to killing a demond, RNG happens to give you the world first zomfg legendary uber axe. You can use it, sell it for 5000g, or sell it for 50 dollars, which one would you consider if you don't want to use it? Why not sell it for 50 dollars and buy 1000g with 10 dollars? That way, you get 40 dollars + 1000g in game money.

Now keep in mind that everyone who steps on some uber rare equipment will think this way.

Again, if you never use AH then RMAH have no impact on you. But if you will buy/sell at all on AH, then you are being controlled by RMAH. Inflation rate is determined by how much gold farmers can farm and by how many gold buyers are out there buying gold. And I believe the number of RMAH users will increase as people get more familiar with the system.

But to answer OP's question, no, I don't think RMAH will kill D3.

No. I believe there will become to 2 types of Diablo players in the community. Buyers, and players.

Quote Originally Posted by surrounded View Post
    No. I believe there will become to 2 types of Diablo players in the community. Buyers, and players.
    Hehehe... too true. ^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazing, people already discussing the possibility of D3 being killed and it's not even released! Certainly beats the amount of time it took for the WoW doomsday threads to kick in. Personally I don't think this will impact the game at all in any major way, since it is not an MMO, but rather a single player progression where you can trade items with other players. This isn't game breaking in any shape or form and for some people, it may be their prefered gameplay style.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntardicus View Post
    Amazing, people already discussing the possibility of D3 being killed and it's not even released! Certainly beats the amount of time it took for the WoW doomsday threads to kick in. Personally I don't think this will impact the game at all in any major way, since it is not an MMO, but rather a single player progression where you can trade items with other players. This isn't game breaking in any shape or form and for some people, it may be their prefered gameplay style.
    That's how things evolve, one day we'll discuss how a possible game about [insert subject here] will be killed by [insert subject here] when such a game hasn't been even announced by anyone.

If the Battle.net experience from D2 is anything to go by, I will be thoroughly avoiding the community at large and sticking to private games with my friends, probably without ever using the AH and just trading amongst ourselves.

I don't plan to play it for longer than a month or two though, although I am totally ignorant as to its features so maybe it could be longer, but I don't see what would keep me coming back if I'm not doing the bnet progression thing.

I don't really understand the problem here. Does it really matter if the items are linked (direct or indirect) to realmoney or (duped) Stone of Jordans. In the end the result is the same, you find some item and want to trade it. It's your own decision whether you want realmoney or gold for it or just directly trade it with a player for another item.

The only difference the RMAH brings is that people can spend a lot of cash to get the best possible gear really quickly. As someone said before, those people will probably stop playing quite fast. Diablo is not about having the best possible gear on your char, it's about the gathering of the gear. Once your char has all the best items, there is not much left to do. If the people that spend lots of money on the RMAH will indeed quit playing, those items will no longer be on the market and the legendary items will remain rare.

I'm just going to ignore the RMAH, unless I will find like 5 legendaries on the first time I play Inferno difficulty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny, most people seemed to not think the RMAH would kill D3 or be the main focus of D3. I guess most of us were wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't necro an old thread, please. You should have posted a new thread with a link to the old one for reference before posting. Please review the forum guidelines at http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php