Page 19 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    As long as they keep pumping out new content at the pace that they have been doing it since release it will continue to be a good and fairly popular game. I really, really hope SWTOR follows that path and not WoW's patch every 6-12 month routine. I regret deleting both my 50s and giving away all my stuff or I would pick up Rift again.
    I don't think SWToR will be able to keep up with Rift's pace with all the storyline and voice actors that need to be used, but I think they can probably produce content faster then WoW, so basically I think SWToR will be somewhere in the middle which in my opinion wouldn't be so bad.

15+ Year Old Account
    The first expansion is a ways off. I'd give them 1 to 1.5 years before there's even word of a new expansion. That's plenty of time for them to start working on one or even the next two xpacs.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufcat View Post
    The first expansion is a ways off. I'd give them 1 to 1.5 years before there's even word of a new expansion. That's plenty of time for them to start working on one or even the next two xpacs.
    from what they have said they are already working on the expansion now. SO i do not think they are going to wait quite that long for it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    from what they have said they are already working on the expansion now. SO i do not think they are going to wait quite that long for it.
    Even better then!

Quote Originally Posted by turlockmike View Post
    Swtor will surpass wow one day as the most played mmo. Not only is it an overall better game, but it's freaking star wars.
    1. Just because it's "Star Wars" doesn't mean it will be good. The first Star Wars MMO failed hard.

2. If you take the average numbers of people playing WoW over the entire life span it's been out and SW:TOR can beat that in the same time span then I'll believe your "Swtor will surpass wow one day as the most played mmo". But my gut feeling is it won't. Why? Most of the WoW base seems to be from Europe and Asia and I don't believe Star Wars is as popular there. I could be wrong but another gut feeling.

I have tried out several MMOs over the past few years and my biggest complaint is the games control. The moving of your character around in the world and so on isn't anywhere near as smooth as WoW. Not sure why game devs can't get that simple yet important aspect of a 3D world correct. Good example: Aion. Graphics were awesome. Game wasn't half bad but moving around and flying were horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    Exactly. Unfortunately there will be ToR haters who will constantly bash the game if it doesn't reach WoW numbers. People from the WoW camp will keep saying that it failed even if ToR becomes the 2nd or even 3rd most popular game in the MMO market, they will be and are stuck on the whole one MMO to rule them all mindset. The funny thing about this though is that they will keep this mindset even after repeated quarter losses on WoW's part.

I personally feel that ToR will have no problem what so ever with securing a place on the top 10 MMO list and being able to hold that for many years.
    And those people would be....trolls, obviously. Why do you dictate your opinion of WoW players on the loudness of a few trolls on a forum? I would love it if ToR became 2nd or 3rd..or even 1st. And I will still play WoW, and probably ToR on the side.

Please stop espousing the opinions of a couple of trolls you read and probably responded to with venom on the forums as the opinions of everyone in the world..

Quote Originally Posted by mische View Post
    Roggles: Rift and Aion had terrible balance issues. Rift's soul system was pretty much impossible to balance, causing anger and outrage.

Um - what the heck you going on about? PvP in Rift is never about 1v1. PVP, like PvE demands you bring a good match of classes to the warfront. You need healers, ranged, melee, etc. It has and never will be about 1v1

Stop living inside your WoW bubble. Balance is not an issue in a game where there is no arena. Also, Rift has been a huge success for such a young mmo.

Do you have any idea how quickly Trion respond to bugs, and hotfix things?
    Oh, and by the way, have you checked the shard status on Rift? have you seen how active it is becoming? How it is growing every day?
    Have you seen patch 1.5? or have you played on release and then didn't give it another chance? A lot has changed.
    Have you seen the variety of play in PvP - the different style of battlegrounds?
    Have you seen the new players joining every day?
    The number of hard core raid guilds springing up?
    The existence of world PvP on PvP servers? - I regularly see 2 raids going head to head in a zone on my shard during events.
    The new content that gets pushed out? We have our sixth raid coming out already (in just over six months).
    EDIT: Patch 1.6 brings in even more - a huge - full new zone - specially for max level characters - more things to do.
    The things to do outside raiding when you log on besides dungeons and raids?

Hate to break it to you fan-boys, but Rift is growing. There will obviously be a lull in players after SWTOR, as with WoW, but until something better comes along, I'm quite happy with Trion. I personally prefer it infinitely more to WoW, the raiding, the PvP, etc. Just my opinion.
    For your own mental sanity I suggest just moving on when you see those comments. ToR fans need to learn also to do this because not too long after launch people who stop playing and have limited typing skills will use broad statements to describe ToR's population.

I'll piss my pants laughing if ToR does some of the more controversial things Trion has done like keep transfers free and put out content really fast and keep up the pace. That would piss off WoW hardcore fans bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive seen a very good launch called Rift. Although Rift didnt do it for me Im pretty certain Swtor will. Sufficient new features, like story telling, companions etc will be the key to do it. Pandas will burn.
    SWTOR: Loveray Legacy @ Tomb of Freedon Nadd | Toyboy • Spray • Loveshot • Thrilldrill • Seax • Penetro • Hotgun • Lustro
    FFXIV ARR: Thrill Drill | Odin EU
    • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
    Swtor eyecandy mm-mmmm! :Þ~

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    And those people would be....trolls, obviously. Why do you dictate your opinion of WoW players on the loudness of a few trolls on a forum? I would love it if ToR became 2nd or 3rd..or even 1st. And I will still play WoW, and probably ToR on the side.

Please stop espousing the opinions of a couple of trolls you read and probably responded to with venom on the forums as the opinions of everyone in the world..
    This is exactly what I wasn't doing, my comment was only addressing the trolls that act this way, the trolls that do in fact talk crap about other games saying they fail just because they're not number one all the while burying their heads in the sand when it comes to the fact that WoW did lose a chunk of people twice in a row. I have nothing against WoW or it's player base at large, I actually have full intention to play WoW into the future but strictly as a very very casual side game. Sorry if it looked like I was being overly hostile, I guess things don't translate very well over text on the internet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    For your own mental sanity I suggest just moving on when you see those comments. ToR fans need to learn also to do this because not too long after launch people who stop playing and have limited typing skills will use broad statements to describe ToR's population.

I'll piss my pants laughing if ToR does some of the more controversial things Trion has done like keep transfers free and put out content really fast and keep up the pace. That would piss off WoW hardcore fans bad.
    I'm so tired of this, really. Come on, guy, it is The Old Republic, not The of Republic. Sure, maybe some of you think I'm nitpicking but come on, do it right.

<infracted>
    Last edited by Buckwald; 2011-11-01 at 12:40 AM.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mische View Post
    Roggles: Rift and Aion had terrible balance issues. Rift's soul system was pretty much impossible to balance, causing anger and outrage.

Um - what the heck you going on about? PvP in Rift is never about 1v1. PVP, like PvE demands you bring a good match of classes to the warfront. You need healers, ranged, melee, etc. It has and never will be about 1v1

Um... when did I ever mention anything about 1v1? Do you honestly think that when I say balance I instantly move towards 1v1 pvp? Please, do not jump the gun and accuse me of saying things I didn't even come close to saying. And I'm sorry I got you so riled up over Rift... I'm the fanboy?

10+ Year Old Account
    There will be endless rage from players about the voice acting from quest givers. What Bioware thought was a selling point, will be the games undoing.

i dunno im more on the ship of another game that isnt so popular yet hasnt done much for advertising but looks way better/funner than SWTOR(which i believe will fail sorry sw fans) but go check it out www.firefallthegame.com looks really decent, has the wow style graphics, and an FPS style gameplay with spells and shit u can do. Also its F2P so no hurt in trying it.

Deleted
    There will be endless rage from players about the voice acting from quest givers. What Bioware thought was a selling point, will be the games undoing.
    Why do you think so?

Deleted
    that aside the vast majority of beta testers have also had very positive reviews of the game
    What? Every single major preview I've seen mocks it's lack of original features, sub-par voice acting, outdated graphics, asinine story, unlikable characters and all around mediocrity. The exact same counts for everyone I've heard of playing the beta. Played it for a few hours, got bored, uninstalled.

I want to like this game. But it's going to sink and take what's left of Bioware after the catastrophe that was Dragon Age 2 with it.

Post constructively. If you are going to make claims about "vast majority" of reviews, please link some because the true vast majority love the game.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-31 at 11:46 PM.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    every bloody post you make is doom and gloom for every game but wow. If you do not like TOR or GW2 then please stay OUT of their forums. All your doing is trying to start some flame war. Nothing you post is constructive or informational in the slightest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolisa View Post
    Why do you think so?
    What is the most used word by gamers to describe something?

Annoying.

The vast majority never read quest text, forcing them to listen to voice acting will "be annoying"

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thebunk View Post
    What? Every single major preview I've seen mocks it's lack of original features, sub-par voice acting, outdated graphics, asinine story, unlikable characters and all around mediocrity. The exact same counts for everyone I've heard of playing the beta. Played it for a few hours, got bored, uninstalled.

I want to like this game. But it's going to sink and take what's left of Bioware after the catastrophe that was Dragon Age 2 with it.
    please by all means show us all these places that mock the game. There is a thread on this forum showing how many different gaming news sites give it praise. If you do not want to play it fine, but do not sit here and say everyone when you yourself "Claim" to be in beta and left after a few hours.

Deleted
    Annoying.

The vast majority never read quest text, forcing them to listen to voice acting will "be annoying"
    Perhaps, although there's a crucial difference: reading is an active task, while listening is pretty much passive.

But indeed a large amount of unskippable uninteresting dialogue could prove very annoying, I think it all depends on how good and interesting it is.

I suppose that if it comes to that, they can just make it skippable.

The one thing that wow had that other competing mmo's didn't, is surprise success. SWtoR is being hyped as the next champion of MMO's. When something is hyped up so much, like SWTOR, Rift, Aion, etc, it had better deliver the goods. If there is any mediocrity whatsoever, you will see it fast. Wow wasn't really supposed to be the massive success that it was. It just happened. But one thing that is guaranteed 100%, is that you will see people flood SWToR from wow. People right now want to badly to teach blizzard a lesson. For personal reasons. People always want to see the people at the top fall. So it won't be the initial numbers that will prove what is better. It will be a year or so down the line.

So after the intial, "Lawlz wow is ded, SWToR is the new champion" that will inevitably happen, time will tell who will be on top. I hope SW is good. I play many games. But I'll still play wow. I'm having just as much fun in the game now, as I ever have.