Page 27 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YoFro View Post
    Aafter reading through a lot of these post I am very confused as to why people keep saying something along the lines of " I don't like a non fantasy type mmo" sci-fi and fantasy seem to go hand in hand to me. I believe the star wars movie series is even in the category of sci-fi / fantasy, but if the only type of fantasy to y'all is a game with orcs or unicorns in it maybe you could write your congress man and he could do something about it. :P

A little more on topic SWTOR will be successful and will most likely pull a decent amount of people away from wow. I'd imagine some players will keep both games and play them casually, but with bioware putting out an mmo based off one of the best rpg's ever made you would have to be crazy not to consider it a major contender. I'm actually hoping that SWTOR pulls a huge chunk of subscribers from wow that way blizzard will have to actually think about new content instead of what they are doing now. Competition keeps everyone happy
    Here's the thing about star wars. It's not really science fiction. Like if we were to compare it to someone like Heinlein or Asimov, it wouldn't even be close. It lacks the depth, it lacks the attempt to understand the human condition that you get from really great science fiction works. Really star wars is science fantasy that got labeled as science fiction. Its an important distinction but sadly one that will likely be ignored.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2011-11-03 at 10:50 AM.

Deleted
    The fantasy genre has evolved significantly over the years, not to mention a particular movie or game can consist of more than one genre - something a lot of people seem to forget. Star Wars is a pretty good example of a setting made up of various genres, so I have no issue making the transition from WoW to ToR when the time comes. Besides, it's not as if WoW has ever been a pure fantasy MMORPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    This game comes out in about a month and a half, yet we know only tidbits about it, released in some really ugly videos.

Why is the NDA taking so long to lift, if they have any confidence in their product?

I'm done with Cata, it's a horrible flop IMO but I don't want to invest in something that hasn't once made me say, "Oh! that looks cool" or, "OK that, looks damn fun, sign me up!" I didn't even expect, "Wow! That's brand new and I want it, NAO!!"

Where's the beef, Yo!

Quote Originally Posted by Uwibami View Post
    Hmmm, it's a pretty interesting thought actually.

Personally, I don't give a damned about SWTOR even though I've loved the SW universe since back when I were but a wee lad.
    But as you're saying, if it's a flop then the business has some thinking to do about how they'd approach new MMO's, and basically Blizz would keep on being #1.

If it succeeds, then Blizzard will most likely up their game even more, meaning more great content for me, in a try to get people to return.

Obviously many more outcomes are possible, but the future is the only thing that can give you an answer.
    Holy shit, ive found someone on these forums with a bit on sense.
    All the wow players that bash SWTOR to death, giving it the cloned shit talk and whatever need to understand that these other mmo's must at least wipe the floor/be much better than warcraft...why? it forces blizzard to wake the fuck up and bring the life back into the game, come out with some great content instead of side playing games like pet battles etc.
    Why dont people understand this on these forums.....far too much typing without thinking and i thought i was bad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BatteredSausage View Post
    Holy shit, ive found someone on these forums with a bit on sense.
    All the wow players that bash SWTOR to death, giving it the cloned shit talk and whatever need to understand that these other mmo's must at least wipe the floor/be much better than warcraft...why? it forces blizzard to wake the fuck up and bring the life back into the game, come out with some great content instead of side playing games like pet battles etc.
    Why dont people understand this on these forums.....far too much typing without thinking and i thought i was bad.
    Blizzard wake up and do what exactly? But more voice acting in the game? ToR doesn't really do anything abstract besides throwing in Bioware conversations.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Blizzard wake up and do what exactly? But more voice acting in the game? ToR doesn't really do anything abstract besides throwing in Bioware conversations.
    I really don't see NPC banter working in an MMO either. It's borderline annoying in the single player Bioware RPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    I really don't see NPC banter working in an MMO either. It's borderline annoying in the single player Bioware RPGs.
    from what i hear it's kind of annoying

tor will succeed, the last sw mmo that came out was a pile of turds and it still did pretty well and from what i hear it's pretty close to wow quality but has a lot less variety in quests (not that they won't be able to add more later)

Deleted

rift=SWTOR

im sure that there was same thread about rift and wow before 5-6 months....now no one talks about rift. same will happen with SWTOR

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Wake up and do something to keep players interested and playing between raids. Change the raid-or-die goal of WoW. And MOP is a step in the right direction, whether you like pandas or not. I expect to see more and more dynamic and sandboxy elements in WoW's future. And if BioWare has any foresight, they will realise that this something they need to pursue for SWTOR as well.

The story in SWTOR is great, but I will bet my boss' right arm that it is not going to be enough to keep people playing for longer than 3 months.

Deleted
    SWTOR will be successful but it wont reach wow in numbers before wow is eigher discontinued or Blizzard launches their new mmorpg.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvedogs View Post
    from what i hear it's kind of annoying

tor will succeed, the last sw mmo that came out was a pile of turds and it still did pretty well and from what i hear it's pretty close to wow quality but has a lot less variety in quests (not that they won't be able to add more later)
    SWG was actually pretty good at launch but very thin compared to EQ1 and AO which was also a sci-fi MMO of the era. I never played it myself but I could see its qualitys. The NGE is what killed that one and just the weird combination of EQ1 (the WoW of the early 2000s) and AO which was a really solid sci-fi game after it's first Xpac.

i see a lot of under-estimation about SWTOR from wow fans. Trust me, SWTOR has got wow really worried, and it should. It's shaping up to be a fantastic game in its own right, a real solid system, fluid gameplay, kick ass animation, and great execution, story-telling without compromises, a good lore realization without cuts, and where cuts are made, full explanations given unlike wow that leaves you making up your own reason.

However, SWTOR is drawing from the entire console world and beyond, STAR WARS is a household brand, it has market potential to crack 12 million subscribers, and it can do so without pinching off wow, what happens if it takes wow's fan base??

You see, every console player would have heard of star wars, lots of fans out there who likely have never played an MMO, they have the potential to blow open the market in this genre, and re-define it as astandard they uphold. More people have heard of Star Wars than warcraft, forget the wold sWG, wow has shown how you can make an MMO appeal to the masses.

SWG had the brand but not the system to appeal to the masses, now SWtOR has both the ability to appeal to both groups, giving it serious potential. When SWG came out, mmo's were not the 2IN" thing, WoW made MMOs popular, and SWG was pre WOW, SWTOR a much better product, is post. this is not like Warhammer - where plastic model fans would never consider picking up a video game, most star wars fans are well into their tech, and those who aren't are current enough to spot a new product. It is not the obscure brand like Aion which has no real backgrond, WoW at least had WC1-3 , diablo 2 all connected to it. Neither does it hope to resurrect a 20+ year old fad that died ages ago, like Conan, Star Wars afterall, 5 years ago finished their latest movie, have a running cartoon series means it is entrenched in the 6-35 year olds, it has a much bigger pull on our generation ...so, yeah, wow has everything to be worried about... a Lion just entered the market.

It's just a coincidence that within 120 days of SWTOR's release, Blizzard breaks away from the pack and introduces a contract.

Yeah. Nothing to worry about folks. Just sign your name on the dotted line, and take your free D3 game (pretty damn good deal tbh).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    i see a lot of under-estimation about SWTOR from wow fans. Trust me, SWTOR has got wow really worried, and it should. It's shaping up to be a fantastic game in its own right, a real solid system, fluid gameplay, kick ass animation, and great execution, story-telling without compromises, a good lore realization without cuts, and where cuts are made, full explanations given unlike wow that leaves you making up your own reason.
    I agree fully on these points. SWTOR is a very, very well made game and it will have a huge following and be the competition that WoW needs to improve A LOT. But SWTOR also has a few features (or lack of) that will drive certain MMO players away. I cannot wait for the NDA to be lifted for people to start discussing the pro and cons

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    The banter in dragon age 1 was so good.. what are you people smoking?

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    TBH...with Blizzard releasing about 2-3 major patches for WoW each year and other franchises like Diablo and SC on their hand AND Blizzcon, there will always be something Blizzard-related coinciding with the release of other games. And that means somebody can always conjure up a relation how Blizzard is scared about the new competitor xyz.

Bioware has made loads of good games in the past, so ToR will most like still be interesting to play. BUT:
    While I am a huge SW fan of parts 4,5 and 6, played Dark Forces and bits of other SW games, but an MMO in their universe just doesn't interest me. And the videos I watched did nothing to change that. And that is all there is to it. No ill feelings, no bad wishes. Just no incentive to play SWToR. We shall see how many others feel like that.
    Why would a company make a deal over a brand new game that people have been waiting a decade for if they expected to make more money without it? They have never offered a deal before, especially because they knew they did not need to. I am not saying wow is going to bleed to death but they are worried enough to try and keep people locked in. That in itself shows that they are already working for a possible damage control stance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    Why would a company make a deal over a brand new game that people have been waiting a decade for if they expected to make more money without it? They have never offered a deal before, especially because they knew they did not need to. I am not saying wow is going to bleed to death but they are worried enough to try and keep people locked in. That in itself shows that they are already working for a possible damage control stance.
    This exactly. You have to be blind NOT to see what Blizzard is trying to do here.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilim View Post
    This exactly. You have to be blind NOT to see what Blizzard is trying to do here.
    Can't really blame em though business is business
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

if swtor is successful I'm going to still be playing wow because I love warcraft.

All that proves is that blizzard is taking an intelligent stance. It would be retarded to be so arrogant that you think you are hands down the best.