Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    That's cool, I'm not offended that they don't appeal to you. As you mentioned, people tend to fall into one of two categories when it comes to music. They are either "lyrics" or "tune" people. Like you, my cousin really only enjoys listening to songs that have interesting, humorous, or thoughtful lyrics with the tune of the song being less important. I'm sort of the opposite, where I care more about how the song sounds than what they are actually saying. This is probably how I can listen to Japanese and Korean music when I don't speak a lick of either language. The only time lyrics bother me is when they are blatantly stupid and I feel less intelligent for listening to them.

In terms of how BFMV sings, I agree with you and that style actually happens to appeal to me xD I love screaming in my music but only as a supplement to the singing. I don't like death metal and rap for the same reason: neither really sing. Since I'm a tune person, I can't get behind a song that isn't melodic, even if the lyrics are mind blowing. I think part of that stems from the fact that I don't have a good ear for picking out what people say. I'm notoriously bad at understanding people with foreign accents and sometimes get lost in movies featuring British characters. It really just depend on how thick the accent is.
    I feel everything's important but I do put emphasis on the lyrics and vocals in general, yea. I like many bands that sing in languages I cannot understand; it's generally metal (or sub-genres of sorts) though, because mostly if the instrumental work is good and the vocals complement it I can enjoy it either way, German, Swedish, Finnish, Gaulish, French, Amernian, etc.

Depressing lyrics, so to speak, tend to bother me a lot. I won't say "emo" but lots of metalcore bands the likes of August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, My Dying Bride, newer Linkin Park/Lost Prophets/etc. have really, really bad and repetitive lyrics (from my personal, very limited knowledge), they just talk about teen angst, problems with a society that seemingly refuses to accept them for who they are, not wanting to live in a world like this, etc. Killswitch Engage, on the other hand, I have no problem with, they have great songs and their lyrics are certainly not terrible. They're still pretty much strictly metalcore.

Note I don't mind depressing songs, though, Elliott Smith was extremely talented and 99% of his songs deal with (getting over) depression and our everyday problems, many other well known artists of many different genres like Tom Waits, Everlast, Johnny Cash, Deep Purple and tons of others. I really like these songs. I guess the way the metalcore/screamo bands sing theirs and the themes they deal with just don't seem remotely honest or heartfelt, if you will, compared to all these.

Quote Originally Posted by Letmesleep View Post
    Haha I agree, he sounds a little whiny there. I feel his voice changes in some of his later music. Yeah I feel like a lot of the classic stuff that people rave about had singers that sound like the one from Dragonforce; he sings very high and uses vibrato frequently. I feel like a lot of metal singers do that or just strictly growl. I like something in between that. If there was a group who's singer sounded like Ben Burnley from Breaking Benjamin but also shredded on their guitars and pounded away at their base drum, I'd be all over that. I guess that brings me back full circle to liking metal from an instrumental standpoint and not from a singing standpoint. In terms of BFMV, I like "Fever" (their newer album) better than "The Poison" (the one they are more famous for) because Fever employs more singing where as The Poison is more growling. I like both though. Who knows man, I'm a walking contradiction anyways :P
    There's lots of genres you can branch out to if you like heavy instrumental work with cleaner vocals; anywhere from random Industrial bands to stuff like Devin Townsend and Porcupine Tree like Kerath mentioned, Opeth. Thrash like Anthrax, Kreator, Mastodon, Meshuggah, I don't know, Folk and similar "mixed" genres if you're into that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerath View Post
    I can't see the bands that Obe posted, damn work machine >.<
    Have you ever listened to Devin Townsend? Man has a godly voice - ranges from awesome metal screams to classical tenor. Gives me the goddam chills sometimes. Give 'Addicted' a try - it's a good starting point I think. Not too 'out there'. Some of his stuff is a bit nuts, but I love pretty much all of it.
    I linked Introspection by Ihsahn (from Emperor) which is actually with Devin doing back-up vocals. I absolutely agree, his music is ridiculous (lots of it in the literal sense even) and Addicted is a great album. I personally really love Ocean Machine, every song there is amazing. Terria's good too and I feel it's quite underrated because none of its songs are remarkable by themselves, it's just really absorbing and introspective as he put it.

His albums with Strapping are fantastic too but it's a completely different thing. City, Alien, New Black etc. are all top notch.

Also Porcupine Tree - how the hell have I not listened this band before... got some of their stuff on itunes over the weekend. Seriously nice.
    Porcupine Tree are so very consistent. I don't think they have a single bad song, I don't know if I've listened to all of them but I believe I have at one point or another in time and I can't recall a bad track. Their newer record actually sounds a bit like some of Opeth's mellower tracks (both old and new) but that's certainly not a bad thing - their music in general is not really my type but it's impossible to dislike a band like them.

inb4

Deleted
    stop showing so much cleavage in your ava digglett please.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/UPVYN.png[IMG]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    stop showing so much cleavage in your ava digglett please.
    >Mione
    >Anti-lewd.
    What.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obelodalix View Post
    Depressing lyrics, so to speak, tend to bother me a lot. I won't say "emo" but lots of metalcore bands the likes of August Burns Red, As I Lay Dying, My Dying Bride, newer Linkin Park/Lost Prophets/etc. have really, really bad and repetitive lyrics (from my personal, very limited knowledge), they just talk about teen angst, problems with a society that seemingly refuses to accept them for who they are, not wanting to live in a world like this, etc. Killswitch Engage, on the other hand, I have no problem with, they have great songs and their lyrics are certainly not terrible. They're still pretty much strictly metalcore.
    My little brother is very much into metalcore (as well as a whole massive range of other stuff) and has been trying to convert me. I'm not sure what it is about it that I don't quite take to. I can't say I have a problem with screaming vocals - I listen to a lot of stuff with screaming vocals, growls, and ofc, clean vocals too. I can't put my finger on it, but I just can't get into it. There are a few songs that I like, but as a whole? Not for me, it seems.

Note I don't mind depressing songs, though, Elliott Smith was extremely talented and 99% of his songs deal with (getting over) depression and our everyday problems, many other well known artists of many different genres like Tom Waits, Everlast, Johnny Cash, Deep Purple and tons of others. I really like these songs. I guess the way the metalcore/screamo bands sing theirs and the themes they deal with just don't seem remotely honest or heartfelt, if you will, compared to all these.
    Not sure if I'd say depressing so much as... melancholy, mournful, sometimes kind of wistful. I dunno, kind of stuff that makes me look at what I have and feel glad for it.

I linked Introspection by Ihsahn (from Emperor) which is actually with Devin doing back-up vocals. I absolutely agree, his music is ridiculous (lots of it in the literal sense even) and Addicted is a great album. I personally really love Ocean Machine, every song there is amazing. Terria's good too and I feel it's quite underrated because none of its songs are remarkable by themselves, it's just really absorbing and introspective as he put it.

His albums with Strapping are fantastic too but it's a completely different thing. City, Alien, New Black etc. are all top notch.
    Oh nice, I'm home now so will have to listen
    Personally very partial to physicist and synchestra, although as I said, I don't think I've heard anything by Devin that I don't like (includes much of the Strapping Young Lad stuff too). Ziltoid the Omniscient is great for when I just want to indulge in some balls-out ridiculousness.

Porcupine Tree are so very consistent. I don't think they have a single bad song, I don't know if I've listened to all of them but I believe I have at one point or another in time and I can't recall a bad track. Their newer record actually sounds a bit like some of Opeth's mellower tracks (both old and new) but that's certainly not a bad thing - their music in general is not really my type but it's impossible to dislike a band like them.
    Can't believe I've only just 'discovered' them... and they've been around for like, 15 years?! Mellow is a good word for them, definitely - and I did pick up on some sections of some songs that made me think of Opeth.
    Also what's with telling me off on Steam then disappearing before I have a chance to come up with a suitable rebuttal, git :P
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    Also what's with telling me off on Steam then disappearing before I have a chance to come up with a suitable rebuttal, git :P
    I am very much online! And I can see you typing, yet I get nothing. Bastard of a program.

Quote Originally Posted by Meari View Post
    and what is that white liquid..
    Semen. Ban her for being a lewd dude with 'ttude.

and what is that white liquid..
    It's not jizz

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    It's not jizz

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    You forgot Sayaka.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Theres no such thing as a Best anything in Madoka.

Unless you mean Best baka show.

Meanie
    :<<<< It was mainly whiney because of pickleys presence

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Why are you so mean my neighbour to the north?
    You are the Canada of the UK.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Ok, ok, you have redeemed yourself
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Quote Originally Posted by coldstrife View Post
    [IMG]http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/26505230.jpg[IMG]

So, how is everyone today?

then i'd also have to ban you for bad taste. are you sure you want that?
    Please do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes ban him.

I don't know guys.. I think I'm in love.

You wouldnt ban me.
    You respect me too much.