Thread: Razer Nostromo?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Razer Nostromo?

Hey there people

For a while now I have been looking at the Razer Nostromo (im not allowed to post links yet)
    i wanted to hear if any of you guys/girls out there, got any experience with this product that you could share with me.

Would it be a good idea to get this, og is it a no go.

please say why you say that its either bad or good

I picked one up not too long ago. Its pretty awesome. The program it comes with is amazing. You can set up any macro with it. Keybind the keys to anything. You can have tons of profiles set up. It feels awesome on the hand. The only thing I don't like about it is not having all of the normal key binds from the keyboard. I miss having some key binds close by such as the map, bags, auto run, etc. You have to set up another profile for out of combat for all of those things, so it's not that bad. When I first opened it it was very intimidating. I had no idea how to set it up. When you finally get everything situated it takes some getting used to for sure. But coupled with a mouse with a couple buttons (I have the naga) on it you will never be a clicker again!

Deleted
    Thnx for your feedback! Its nice to hear how other people think that its a good product. Now i realy want to go buy one.

Deleted
    I have had mine for 2 years now and I love it. The key to success with it is finding the modifier keys that work for you. For example I use the thumb button above the D pad as Shift and 2 buttons on my mouse for Alt and Ctrl this allows me to have 36 very easy to use keybinds not even including the D pad. The Dpad i found irritating for movement so instead I use them as extra keybinds. Example of uses for the D pad are i use right D pad to Target and the other 3 for class action bars like stealth or stances or even shape shifting with help of a modifier for least used forms. Because I used W and R to strafe before I had to incorporate that into the pad and sacrificed 02 and 04 for strafing to make the transition from keyboard to keypad less of an issue.

Take some time and set it up so its just right for you and you will be amazed at how good it actually is.
    Last edited by mmoc436a444510; 2011-10-05 at 11:05 AM.

Swifty did a pretty cool review about it awhile back. It's what made me want it in the first place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvBrYgSn9iA

---------- Post added 2011-10-05 at 06:12 AM ----------

As far as my key binds. I use the wasd for movement only(along with mouse turning) so that leaves you with 10 buttons which I key bound to shift 1-10. One of my wow bars are all of these key binds. The D-pad is my main 4 spells and the button right above it is my main cool down. That is another wow bar right there. The scroll up is to switch profiles to my out of combat one. The big button on the bottom is my jump. My third wow bar is my naga buttons which are all my reactive spells(which are key bound to ctrl 1-=). With the 17 buttons on my mouse I don't really need any modifiers like romandix good idea though.

I tested the old version (Belkin n52te) briefly in a store. After fooling around with both for few minutes I chose to buy Logitech G13 instead of n52te and haven't been disappointed yet.

Would recommend trying out both in a store and get whichever fits better for your hands.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-10-05 at 11:25 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tried it. I don't particularly enjoy it, though it does it's job very well. I'm just not a huge fan of hand-keypad-things.

Deleted
    I love it, got it as a christmas present back in 2009. Was the reason I bought my naga as well, that combo is really nice, with all the different keybinds you have within range

Deleted
    bought it returned it the next day. useless equipment is useless

I can't stand mine. Worst purchase for myself. I was unable to test it in the store but after bringing it home.. it does not fit my hand what-so-ever. I have long hands and it makes it difficult to reach the lower row of keys, however when I adjust the wrist rest, I have a hard time hitting the upper row. It's a lose lose. The keys also have way too much travel. As someone who PvPs and needs to keep his reactions quick this becomes a problem. No longer am I hitting the ability near instantly but the travel time is causing me to hit it twice as slow, sometimes you miss those important interrupts because of it.

Try first, buy later. It truly is a personal preference purchase.

Deleted
    If you don't use the dpad for movement it's not that useful, it's basically like a keyboard except your thumb has a couple of more buttons to press.

Imagine you are tanking and want to strafe diagonally back and hammer out your rotation at the same time, now two of your fingers are occupied and pressing 1-5 or any surrounding keys except Q or Z feels really awkward. I'm sure if you think about it you can come up with a dozen of more probable scenarios.

Deleted
    Thnx for your feedback every one. After listening to you all and your opinions, I have decided to try it out. going to make my purchase tomorrow

Just so you know since a lot of people are saying that their hands and too big. The nostromo is kinda adjustable. The hand rest and two different slots you can put it on to further the hand rest from the buttons or the other way around.

if u want ur normal keybinds on it go for logitech g13. i got it and it's ace. feels and looks more solid then the razer one aswel

Quote Originally Posted by brakke View Post
    feels and looks more solid then the razer one aswel
    That's the common complaint about n52te... It's too plasticy and squeaky and flimsy. Maybe the new version is more sturdy construction.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Hey...

I recommend the Logitech G13 over the Nostromo. Both have similar design although the ergonomics and some of the buttons might be different. Personally I love the G13's LCD panel that tells me all my WoW stats. Do I need it? No. Do I want it? Hell yah! No one actually needs the Nostromo or the G13 but it can help some people with macros and you can almost bind just about everything from character movement to most of your macro'd abilities on either device. Either one is great butI prefer the G13 just because of the game panel. Also, i'm unsure if you can change the light-up buttons on the Nostromo since I always see it in blue, but the G13 can be any color you desire. Mine is set for red just like my Alienware Area-51 X-58 lights and the preset lighting on my Alienware M18x that should arrive in about one week!
    "Quit rolling your fat, greasy, cheetos grubbing fingers all over the keyboard!" - Random Burning Crusade Raider circa 2007
    "...tinkering with hardware...more or less electric LEGO for masochists." - Partial quote from Joel Johnson of Kotaku.com
    1/11/06 N/A Ten Day Guest Pass Expired = Vanilla Veteran Proof! (Haters still gonna hate)
    Never forget, that you were warned about the Mists of Pandaria. YOU were WARNED! (10/21/11)

Imo the Nostromo is more about comfort and the G13 is more about "omg buttons." I owned the Nostromo for a brief time and loved it. I borrowed my friend's g13 recently and used it once for about 20 mins. It just felt garbage. The outermost buttons were impossible to hit.

Deleted
    I have a Nostrom + Naga and i bought it since I started to get so much pain in my arms from my not so ergonomic keyboard. I really like the nostromo from the ergonomic point of view it does its jobb very well. I play al roles in wow pve and for pve Tanking and Dmg dealing the nostromo is really good. But when it comes to healing i have problem with it. It is related to movement and healing, the over al best way i found to move the char with the Nostromo is to use the Dpad for it. Now the "North West NE SW SE" directions on the pad aint working properly (if they havent fixed this yet dunno about that) so i have turned those of and use the forvard, backward togaether with strafe left right on teh pad. This means i need the mouse to turn and well since i need the mouse to also hover over unit frames it makes it really hard to move in a controled way while healing.

Now i admit this has alot to do with my setup but i really prefer to have a simmelar setup for al classes/roles and for me healing is the one getting a bit left out. Sometimes the pad can get "stuck" and the char continue to move even if no keys are being pressed, anoying as hell.

The device is very plastic and light wich can be anoying at times when it can move on the table easly. The software for it is great tho and it works really well with the naga bar addon.

But be warned it takes alot of time to getting used to dont expect do be best frined with it the first week of usage.
    Last edited by mmoc1e556d9553; 2011-10-05 at 12:07 PM.

I bought one of these a couple years ago, tried really hard to get used to it and I just couldn't. It was uncomfortable, hard to use and in the end I just gave up and it's been sitting in its box ever since. It just comes down to how much effort you put in and whether or not it feels comfortable with it. Pretty much the only way to find out is to try it I guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    Been using mine for about 8 months now. Very well built product, shows almost no ware. Its comfortable and looks wicked. However, i would only suggest it if you play more than MMOs, like shooters and RPGs as well.