Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Anonymous to tackle the NYSE

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...-protests.html

"Anonymous, a group of self-styled hacker-activists behind attacks on corporate and government websites, vowed to support the Occupy Wall Street protests by erasing the New York Stock Exchange “from the Internet” on Oct. 10.

The group posted a video message on YouTube declaring war on the world’s largest stock exchange in retaliation for the mass arrests of Wall Street protesters, and posted a link to the video on one of several Anonymous Twitter feeds.

The two-minute message didn’t elaborate on the threat or whether it referred only to an attack on the NSYE website, which would have no effect on trading.

Anonymous has launched several so-called directed denial of service attacks on websites over several months, including actions in December against the sites of MasterCard Inc. (MA) and Visa Inc. (V) Members of the group use specialized software to launch the attacks, which can slow or crash the site for a short period of time, according to court documents.

Richard Adamonis, a spokesman for NYSE Euronext (NYX), which operates the exchange, said the company doesn’t comment on rumors or security matters.

NYSE.com includes corporate information, press releases, trading notices, the company’s rules and bylaws, and access to services for companies whose stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. The trading systems are run separately through a secure data center in Mahwah, New Jersey.

Stocks listed on the New York Stock Exchange trade on almost all U.S. exchanges and other systems where investors can buy and sell securities, including electronic communications networks, broker-dealers and dark pools, or private venues that match orders without displaying prices in advance."

I wonder if they're going for the website as the article hopes for, or if they're going after the NYSE itself. Also wondering what impact it will have on the Exchange and if it will hinder Occupy Wall Street. I understand why Anon wants to do this, but I feel that a lot of their methodology tends to do more harm for their cause than good. So far the OWS has been peaceful and I fear that if Anon is successful that ruins any hope of the movement being taken seriously and calmly.

What are your thoughts, MMO-Champ?
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

15+ Year Old Account
    So they're going from nuisances to terrorists. GG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    My concern exactly. If they DDoS the website that's fine. Taking down the NYSE, however, benefits nobody.

Have you paid any attention to what the police are doing? THEY are the terrorists...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Careful there Fuzzzie they may see your comment and decide to hack mmo next.

This is why we can't have nice things, some idiot comes along and decides to make a point to wreck them.

What Anonymous is threatening to do isn't the right thing, but it is justified.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

That's how it seems. Hopefully they'll be using this as more than a retaliation for arresting some protesters (who probably should have never been arrested in the first place, as far as I know it was all peaceful). I hope they'll use this a way to get a message out on an economic fix or something. Deep down, I hope that they use this seemingly evil act as a way to also do some good. Or maybe I'm just extremely optimistic in hoping that people will do good.
    Last edited by Slammin Shaman; 2011-10-05 at 06:03 PM.

Lol... This time Anon doesn't know who they're fucking with. This time they're fucking with the rich. And the rich don't like being played with.

10+ Year Old Account
    They honestly have no idea what they are getting themselves into and the impact it will have on the world IF they actually succeed.

10+ Year Old Account
    HActivists my ass, they are full blown terrorists now. I want these guys shut down before they screw stuff up more.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bluesphere View Post
    Have you paid any attention to what the police are doing? THEY are the terrorists...
    good lord..really? just stop. This shit is getting so old and its not even been two weeks.

Anon isn't doing nada...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bossphd View Post
    They honestly have no idea what they are getting themselves into and the impact it will have on the world IF they actually succeed.
    Was about to say something to this effect. My concern is if they manage to succeed and crash the NYSE, how badly is that going to impact an already fragile world economy? I sincerely hope they stick to the website, for the good of everyone. There are better ways to stick it to people; affecting the uninvolved doesn't make this better. I've noticed though that Anon likes to drag people that have no involvement in. I understand the reasoning of everyone needs to understand why this is wrong, etc but it just makes people angry and less inclined to help the cause. I'm looking at you Operation BART. :/

They have repeatedly said that they have absolutely no intention of attacking NYSE. Stop spreading the false rumor.

Terrorists? Hardly. That term is thrown around too often nowadays.

Far left-wing activists is more appropriate.

it wouldn't have as much impact as you all seem to be thinking. they have backups of everything as this is all extremely important data, it would just be an interruption of service at best. i don't think any targets as high profile as the NYSE haven't thought of the extreme likelihood of being hacked before. it in and of itself is not enough of an economic impact to cause stocks to nosedive or anything (not like they even could while the systems are unreachable anyway) and it's not like wall st. is unaware of many people in the world being unhappy with their exploitative/parasitic behavior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxi View Post
    HActivists my ass, they are full blown terrorists now. I want these guys shut down before they screw stuff up more.
    Shut down who? They are just a bunch of unrelated idiots who dont know who Guy Fawkes was. Its not like they have a hide out or hold meetings. Anyone can buy a V for Vendetta mask (take THAT corporations!) and pretend your actions mean something.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Lol... This time Anon doesn't know who they're fucking with. This time they're fucking with the rich. And the rich don't like being played with.
    I beg to differ the rich might know money. But they don't know shit about computers. And all their money is tied up in computer systems

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlow View Post
    I beg to differ the rich might know money. But they don't know shit about computers. And all their money is tied up in computer systems
    You are so wrong. I mean EXTREMELY wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrolepsy View Post
    Terrorists? Hardly. That term is thrown around too often nowadays.

Far left-wing activists is more appropriate.
    Terrorist is actually the exact term for what they are doing. They are attempting to invoke fear and panic in order to get what they want or to do what they believe is right. They think that they can make the NYSE fear them enough to get their points across. In reality, they are just going to piss everyone off and get caught even faster. Nobody on the internet is anonymous. Not even them.