Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is it possible to be addicted to music?

Hey all

I've been thinking about this for a while, since I'm listening to music pretty much all the time when it's possible, when taking the public transportation, in the gym, at home, etc. Here's a quick recap of how my day could typically look like:

Wake up at 5.45, turn on the computer to put some music on the speakers. Leave around 6.10 to catch the bus.
    Ear plugs in the iPhone from home -> school, which is approximately 1 hr 40 min~
    Sometimes we've got 1½ hr spare-time inbetween lectures, so we're usually a few people hooking up at the library to read up on next lecture, so I plug in my earplugs again on low volume.
    Get home from school (another 1hr 40 min~)
    At home, turn on the computer and put some music on till I pretty much go to sleep around 23-00 - that is, if I'm not with friends, working out at the gym, or at work (though at work I've got my earplugs as well, since it's pretty boring from time to time, so it's possible to listen to it).

That long travel from home to school doesn't really bother me, since I enjoy sitting in the train studying, or just chillin' to my music, so when I'm @ school I sometimes catch myself thinking how much I can't wait to get out of here to turn up for my music, sometimes it even itches in my fingers, lol.

So am I the only one who's listening to this much music? :P

Deleted
    Nope, I turn on music pretty much whenever I do something. Dubious about whether you could consider it an addiction however. Even if it is, there are worse things to be addicted too.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it can qualify as an addiction unless there's a negative effect to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction

YES, ever since I watch jersey beach i listen to the techno every minute of day!!!

Deleted
    Been searching on the internet for music addiction, and I've found this article that's really interesting.

http://theheckdoiknow.blogspot.com/2...-to-music.html

Once tasted by the soul, a craving begins.

---------- Post added 2011-10-10 at 10:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    I don't think it can qualify as an addiction unless there's a negative effect to it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction
    Hmm, well music DO have the ability to make me wanna drop everything I do/have to do, just to listen to a few tunes; y'know, the "this'll be the last one, then I'll go do <insert thing to do>" :<

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Negative is u lose hearing very much if you listen to too much music for too long too loud. It sounds like a stampede of big animals who are very scary and now I have to use hearing aid to hear grandmother and she not use anything. Also can throw out shoulder if fist pump too much or break leg like scary undead at blizzcon

Deleted
    I've even bought a guitar to learn how to play it, and turns out to be really relaxing, even though it sounds like shit =D

It's possibly a minor addiction at worst. I've definitely got that. If I don't have noise around me, I get panicky.

Deleted
    yes, yes you can jesus its a drug for me!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    YES, ever since I watch jersey beach i listen to the techno every minute of day!!!
    Same, instead of talking to people on long trips or during waits, I listen to some trance. It can be addictive, as it does have a negative effect in the eyes of people that think being anti-social is a negative effect.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Roos View Post
    Been searching on the internet for music addiction, and I've found this article that's really interesting.

http://theheckdoiknow.blogspot.com/2...-to-music.html

Once tasted by the soul, a craving begins.

---------- Post added 2011-10-10 at 10:49 AM ----------

Hmm, well music DO have the ability to make me wanna drop everything I do/have to do, just to listen to a few tunes; y'know, the "this'll be the last one, then I'll go do <insert thing to do>" :<
    damn, your too fast, i was just about to say that lol or when i start to make music, i cant stop lol

Deleted
    Well this day's there is an addiction for everything...

But more seriously, it just seems you found a away of isolating yourself with music and use it to be in your confort zone while listening to it.

I guess your young, so that's pretty much normal beahaviour, can't see why it would be a bad thing.

Deleted
    Its ok, until you rob and kill your family for money to buy new songs.

You would be addicted to music if lack of music would cause negative psychological effects.

I'm the same way, in class I sometimes stop what listening to lecture because I spontaneously hear a verse in my head, and I just roll off of that. 5 minutes later I remember I'm in class and I have to ask what I missed :/

Music just became a huge thing for me, probably because in high school I had 3 and a half hour bus rides everyday, so I needed something to fill in the time and I just got hooked... it was gradual though, not super quick like most addictions.
    The only down side is probably that I play it too loud and I think I caused some damage to my hearing, so I'm learning to hear everything at a lower volume.
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    it's pretty hard to find a good girl in the sea of whores that is my country, brazil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by laggspike View Post
    damn, your too fast, i was just about to say that lol or when i start to make music, i cant stop lol
    Haha, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by yman View Post
    Well this day's there is an addiction for everything...

But more seriously, it just seems you found a away of isolating yourself with music and use it to be in your confort zone while listening to it.

I guess your young, so that's pretty much normal beahaviour, can't see why it would be a bad thing.
    Turning 20 in a few months, so I guess you're right

Quote Originally Posted by Spartakus View Post
    Its ok, until you rob and kill your family for money to buy new songs.
    LOL! Nono though I'm starting to prioritize my buying-decisions even more; Should I buy that kebab & coke, or should I save it to buy Rise Against' newest album? :P

psykologicly you're possible to be addicted to anything.

Deleted
    I'm actually starting to get daily headaches, so from now on I'm focused on not raping my volume button too much :P

Quote Originally Posted by TordFish View Post
    psykologicly you're possible to be addicted to anything.
    You're addicted to air, water and food!! But that's not how it works.

Unless you experience any negatives effects because you don't hear music that only go away when you start listening to music, it's nothing you call an addiction.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?