Page 1 of 3
LastLast

I have trouble with running

A lot of advice I see from people here is to go outside and just start running, now I'm not out of shape or at least I like to think I'm not, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and work out for 30 minutes (I jog fine on the treadmill), and walk every night. I just went for a quick run around my block which is usually a 15 minute or so walk -- I come back and I'm coughing my lungs out, and I feel a burning in my throat while running. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or do I simply push through it?

Deleted
    It will feel better after a few times

Deleted
    This happened to me when i started my marathon training, never had issues on the treadmill/cross machines but the second i started running on the streets i could barely do anything. Theres alot more factors that tire you out compared to the gym e.g. wind flow, dodging people, hills. And the ground is often less giving. The only way through it is to pace yourself and keep it up and eventually you'll get better as you go on. Just don't get discouraged that you feel like your doing less than normal.

You must be pushing yourself a lot harder than on the treadmill? If you jog on the treadmill often making the transition to running outside should result in that kind of reaction without some other factors involved.

Deleted
    Have you tried using your legs i find that it aids movement better

Quote Originally Posted by gridalien View Post
    This happened to me when i started my marathon training, never had issues on the treadmill/cross machines but the second i started running on the streets i could barely do anything. Theres alot more factors that tire you out compared to the gym e.g. wind flow, dodging people, hills. And the ground is often less giving. The only way through it is to pace yourself and keep it up and eventually you'll get better as you go on. Just don't get discouraged that you feel like your doing less than normal.
    That makes perfect sense, I'll just keep trying. :>

All you need is a bear. One big, hungry, slightly slow bear. Running will come naturally once you see him chasing behind you. Inspiration is never more than a bear away.
    Chronic Sufferer of A.D.H.L.A.S. (Attention Deficit Hey Look A Squirrel)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gridalien View Post
    Definitely add air temp and air quality to the mix. Air quality is usually better in a gym (lots have huge filters to remove stinky stuff from the air-better air is more efficient to breathe) and the air temp inside is usually on the cool side. 60 degree clean air > 75 degree smoggy air.
    I don't argue to be right, I argue to be proven wrong. Because I'm aware that the collective intelligence of the community likely has more to offer to me by enlightening me, than I do to an individual by "winning" an argument with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    I don't always wear tennis shoes, but when I do, I speak Russian. In French.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    That makes perfect sense, I'll just keep trying. :>
    One of the most frustrating things isn't it? I thought i'd be fine due to my gym experience but was completely blind sided by it, huge moral blow but once you get into it it feels fantastic again

Depends on where you live. The air outside of any gym where I do is much cleaner, and I suppose - more enriched with oxygen and less with CO2 (given the forest-like city layout). If that's the case familiar to the OP, my suggestion would be to start spending more time outside. Naturally you will become more accustomed to the fresh air in a few weeks.

As many people have said, there are many factors when running outside - Air quality, temperature and humidity, ground and ground stability (concrete/dirt/sand etc.) as well as transitioning between types, avoiding people, hills, dodging pissed off birds.

If your goal is to improve your outside running, just do more of it. Your body should acclimatise to it eventually, meaning all those factors won't have such a detrimental effect on you.

If your goal is to improve your running/fitness, then I would suggest doing interval training at the gym.
    I personally do the following:
    - 2km run at 10-11km
    - 200m walk at 4
    - 600m sprint at 14 (although depending on your fitness level, do anything from 11+ - You want to go as fast as you can, but sustain that pace for the full 600m)
    - 200m walk at 4
    - 600m sprint
    - 200m walk
    - 600m sprint

It is incredibly hard, you will sweat like you've never sweat before, and you will notice a massive improvement in your running/fitness.

Sidenote: Depending on the quality of the treadmill you use, you may need to do 300m walks - Some will go from 14+ to 4 in the space of 20-30 metres, others will take 100+ - for the lower quality treadmills, give yourself an extra 50-100m walking space, or you may find you won't be able to complete the full program.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

Just keep at it, OP. Push through it, the first time I went for a run the symptoms you described are what I had but after like the 2nd or 3rd jog you do in a row it just gets easier and easier. If you have a smart phone that can download apps I suggest you get Runkeeper. It's free, tracks your time, how long you've jogged for, the altitudes you've climbed and your average time per mile/km

Deleted
    Just keep trying, you will improve fast. I started like this, now on my cardio days i usually do around 15-20 kilometers. However, there are a few tips i can give you
    1. Think of your breathing and nothing else. Just get into the routine.
    2. Choose the least populated route, i hate dodge-ing cars, dogs, elder people, children, other running people, bikes, etc, etc.
    3. Choose the farthest away from ANY cars route, breathing exhausted gases while running (expanding your lungs to maximum) is probably the easiest way to get a lung cancer, God forbid.
    4. Buy running shoes. This really HELPS!!! And proper attire, you need running "equipment".
    5. Gradually increase the distance/time. So if this week you run 20 mins, next one run 25-30. If you run 3km this week, do 4 next. Stuff like that. If you reach the level when you cant continue anymore - good. This is when the real workout begins (this is true for any exercises)
    6. Drink a lot of water. Around 3 liters a day.
    7. Dont eat/drink before going out to run. Reduce the sugar, salt and fat, not eliminate, reduce.
    8. If its cold/hot outside, choose your attire properly.
    9. Always sleep well before working out. This is prety much it

10+ Year Old Account
    google c25k

grab an ipod, some of the "podcasts" (they're in mp3 format so any mp3 player would work)

you can't just "start running", that's like cold turkey (but the opposite)

try http://www.c25k.com/ for some basic information, if you can't find any of the music you like you can make your own

the basis is walk and run, walk and run for intervals, building up to more running, less walking, the "podcasts" usually give audio prompts about when to start running/walking, though you can easily make your own with the music you prefer if you want

edit: even if you "ignore" the timings/distances, or adapt them to more suit yourself, you can't just dive into something like this, it could cause more harm than good
    Last edited by Rixis; 2011-10-07 at 06:15 AM.

I go through phases where I run 4-6 times a week for a few months then I might go a month or 2 without going at all... My throat normally feels like it's burning the 1st couple of times after I start again, particularly when the air is cold. After a short while the problem goes away, at least for me.

Deleted
    Just keep trying, you will improve fast. I started like this, now on my cardio days i usually do around 15-20 kilometers. However, there are a few tips i can give you
    1. Think of your breathing and nothing else. Just get into the routine.
    2. Choose the least populated route, i hate dodge-ing cars, dogs, elder people, children, other running people, bikes, etc, etc.
    3. Choose the farthest away from ANY cars route, breathing exhausted gases while running (expanding your lungs to maximum) is probably the easiest way to get a lung cancer, God forbid.
    4. Buy running shoes. This really HELPS!!! And proper attire, you need running "equipment".
    5. Gradually increase the distance/time. So if this week you run 20 mins, next one run 25-30. If you run 3km this week, do 4 next. Stuff like that. If you reach the level when you cant continue anymore - good. This is when the real workout begins (this is true for any exercises)
    6. Drink a lot of water. Around 3 liters a day.
    7. Dont eat/drink before going out to run. Reduce the sugar, salt and fat, not eliminate, reduce.
    8. If its cold/hot outside, choose your attire properly.
    9. Always sleep well before working out. This is prety much it
    P.S. 10. Warm up before you start running.

This plan works amazingly well See if its a fit for you. It is couch to 5k in 2 months. (Eep I cannot post links yet due to my post total) The site is at coolrunning dot com and you can find the information under the couch to 5k plan. Its a great plan for non runners to get started running.
    - well behaved women rarely make history

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe you just build up a tolerance. Just jog and not sprint.

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    A lot of advice I see from people here is to go outside and just start running, now I'm not out of shape or at least I like to think I'm not, I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and work out for 30 minutes (I jog fine on the treadmill), and walk every night. I just went for a quick run around my block which is usually a 15 minute or so walk -- I come back and I'm coughing my lungs out, and I feel a burning in my throat while running. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Or do I simply push through it?
    Running on the treadmill is MUCH, much easier than running for real. The treadmill "cheats" for you, if you want to think of it that way. What you can do to start transitioning from treadmill to running outside is increasing the treadmill's inclination. On most treadmills there are buttons to raise and lower the front, so it feels like you are running uphill. This is (in my long experience with gym equipment) the only way you can come close to the difficulty of running outside.

That said, running outside is far better, so just keep trying!
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Herald of the Titans MrKnubbles's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    It could also be the temperature, is it cold outside?