Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

This has convinced me 100% to play GW2

I was moderatly interested in GW2, then i found out how W V W PVP worked and I had flashbacks back to my Dark age of cameolot days. I rememebr fondly massive 3 way battles that determined if a faction (in this case a whole server) would get a bonus due to this massive battle. GW2 appears to be doing something VERY similar. If this carries through and works as it did in DAoC this will make servers VERY tight communities which I think is very important to a healthy MMO.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World_PvP

read up and tell me what you think I am very interested in what you have to say.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://tap-repeatedly.com/2011/09/30...olin-johanson/
    Tap: I found out recently that you began you career at Mythic, I don’t know how I didn’t know that already. Has it in any way helped shape WvWvW, from your experiences with Dark Age of Camelot?

Colin: Mike Ferguson and Matt Witter are our two lead designers working on the WvWvW project, from a lead design perspective. Both of them are ex-Mythic employees. Mike was heavily involved in Dark Age of Camelot back when I was at Mythic. Mat was heavily involved in Warhammer Online and so the two of them have a lot of experience with world PvP. We also have a lot of staff who give them a great deal of feedback and suggestions. We are big PvP players across the board. I played a lot of Dark Age of Camelot. Our lead designer Eric Flannum would say one of his favourite games of all time was Dark Age of Camelot. We certainly draw inspirations from those areas, but we want to take that and make it our own too.

Wow there is so much talent being put into this game, former people from Blizzard and Mythic working on this MMO and just so much....anything else i'm missing ?

Thank you for this confirmation...I smiled then i almost cried... I had so many good times in DAoC because of the tight community this brings me hope that I may feel the same way that i did about the first mmo I ever played...*cries*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthoren View Post
    Wow there is so much talent being put into this game, former people from Blizzard and Mythic working on this MMO and just so much....anything else i'm missing ?
    Ummmmm..... Felicia Day is the voice of Zojja (main Asura character)

---------- Post added 2011-10-04 at 01:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Geronis View Post
    Thank you for this confirmation
    Glad to help

Quote Originally Posted by Geronis View Post
    Thank you for this confirmation...I smiled then i almost cried... I had so many good times in DAoC because of the tight community this brings me hope that I may feel the same way that i did about the first mmo I ever played...*cries*
    It's ok, just let it all out.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Colin mentioned in TotalBiscuit's Guardian 2 video that the staff and alpha testers play WvWvW every day for at least a few hours and that they're really enjoying it. This gives me a lot of hope. I can't imagine the WAR dev team and alpha (and maybe beta) testers put months testing (playing!) their world pvp and if they did, that they actually enjoyed it. I was bored with it and saw huge flaws within a week of being high enough level to participate in sieges. I'm optimistic about the world pvp in GW2. Can't wait for the official reveal with all the details!

10+ Year Old Account
    World vs World vs World looks like it's going to be revolutionary.

One of the best MMO's-elements ever implemented in a MMO Hope it really is epic!

I love how there are also dynamic events within WvWvW. It's really going to round out the experience and get everyone involved. You can probably just chill in your home map and treat it almost like a leveling zone if you are looking for a more relaxing experience, well at least until it gets invaded and set on fire.

Deleted
    As promising as this seems... Please let somebody confirm that Guild Wars 2 won't be balanced around this system!

Balacing classes around PvP never works. That's a fact.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Ummmmm..... Felicia Day is the voice of Zojja (main Asura character)

---------- Post added 2011-10-04 at 01:04 PM ----------

Glad to help
    I'll probably receive hate for this, but I don't think she did a good job with her voice acting at all. As a matter of fact I don't think she's very talented.

....anything else i'm missing ?
    The art director is also the face of Father Grigori from Half Life 2!

That's gotta count for something, right?

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post

Rofl! That is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Lihonessa View Post
    As promising as this seems... Please let somebody confirm that Guild Wars 2 won't be balanced around this system!

That is in fact how it will likely work if we take GW1 as a basis. "Guild" "Wars" is a PvP game first and foremost. It also has a lot of PvE. However, differently from WoW, spells and skills act completely different in PvP than in PvE and they also have PvE only skills as well as PvP only skills. The game is extremely balanced and they work very hard on making it that way. I have no reason to assume GW2 will function any differently as it is their major draw.

Deleted
    Jennifer Hale (fem shep/bastila from KotOR) is doing voiceacting for them (eg. in the first trailer)

The way WvW PvP is going to work in Guild Wars 2 is definitely going to make it much more entertaining. I just cannot wait for it!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post

:O That guy's Romanian! Wow, finally my people did something right, well done... although this is proof you need to leave the country to do something good, but well done fellow romanian!

Deleted
    ArenaNet has their own way of balancing stuff.
    For example some spell does X amount of damage against PvE monsters, but against players it might do a bit less or more damage.

Also PvP version skill might have a higher cost or longer cooldown.

I'm sure they will implement this system into GW2 also as it works really well.

Deleted

Anet sperate PvE and PvP completely. Skills act completely different in each. That's how you balance PvP.

As for WvWvW balance, no chance. colin himself described it as massive unbalance PvP, it could be 30 players vs 300 players.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Anet sperate PvE and PvP completely. Skills act completely different in each. That's how you balance PvP.

As for WvWvW balance, no chance. colin himself described it as massive unbalance PvP, it could be 30 players vs 300 players.
    Skills won't be completely different, they try to have them be as similar as possible but they can have separate effects, damages, or whatever.