Graphics Card for SWTOR and Photoshop

so im looking at buying a new laptop, and I'm wondering how powerful of a graphics card ill need

ill be playing swtor and using photoshop,and other adobe programs

with a Intel Core i7 2630QM(2.00GHz) processor and probably a 7200 rpm 500g hardrive

do i need a NVIDIA GeForce GT 560M? or will like a 540M suffice?
    looking to get atleast 40-45 fps with max settings

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 10:18 PM ----------

also is 6 gigs of ram worth it?

I don't think SW:TOR is even in beta yet. I could be mistaken, but it's impossible to tell what kind of GPU it will require. The 540M isn't great though, the 560M is of course better... I wouldn't skimp on the GPU if you're gaming at all on the laptop.

And yeah, I'd definitely go with more RAM. I've used up all 8GiB in my machine many times, gonna move to 16GiB with my next upgrade (IB/BD, this PC's going to the wife.)
    Super casual.

The beta has been out for a long, long time, Nellah. I would know, I've been in it for at least three months now :P But to answer your question Han, I am running it on max graphics except for AA (which hasn't been enabled yet) on a GTX 470. I think it only really uses up 4ish gigs of ram if that, but I do suggest getting 6 because a lot of programs use that much. An i7 is more than sufficient, I think it only uses around 60ish percent of my CPU (I use an i7)

10+ Year Old Account
    Asus G74SX-A1,

560GTXM 3Gig
    7200RPM HDD's (2TB)
    12Gig 1333mhz DDR3
    i72630QM (Turbo-Boost 2.0-2.9GHZ)

Om nom nom most games, although I hear you can find models with 580M's, which is more Price / Performance boost than the 540 to 560. Although the 560 performs pretty admirably though. :3

Only ran about a grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kannable View Post
    The beta has been out for a long, long time, Nellah. I would know, I've been in it for at least three months now :P But to answer your question Han, I am running it on max graphics except for AA (which hasn't been enabled yet) on a GTX 470. I think it only really uses up 4ish gigs of ram if that, but I do suggest getting 6 because a lot of programs use that much. An i7 is more than sufficient, I think it only uses around 60ish percent of my CPU (I use an i7)
    Ahh, I did not know that. I don't follow it that much. Your 470 is much more powerful than either of those laptop GPUs though.
    Super casual.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellah View Post
    I don't think SW:TOR is even in beta yet.
    lol what?
    SW:TOR out Dec 20th. >_>

I would go for the 560m over the 540m regardless if the 540m can handle it. More longevity for the laptop that you probably won't be able to upgrade down the road.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    Asus G74SX-A1,

560GTXM 3Gig
    7200RPM HDD's (2TB)
    12Gig 1333mhz DDR3

Om nom nom most games, although I hear you can find models with 580M's, which is more Price / Performance boost than the 540 to 560. Although the 560 performs pretty admirably though. :3

Only ran about a grand.
    +1
    But i would suggest paying for the upgrade to the 8gig at 1860mhz.
    I own the aforementioned laptop but with the SSD and faster Ram. As for the "580M" i think this is not true as the GPU is integrated not stand alone. (Although someone may have performed a really good mod and I want)

I run all settings on ultra and in raid on 17.something" screen i get around 110 FPS yes i know wow is capped but ctrl R says 110.

Quote Originally Posted by Joathen View Post
    Asus G74SX-A1,

560GTXM 3Gig
    7200RPM HDD's (2TB)
    12Gig 1333mhz DDR3

Only ran about a grand.
    ]

where at? newegg? amazon?

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    ]

where at? newegg? amazon?
    I went to btotech dot com and paid nearly 2.3k for mine. I would be suspect on 1k pricing.