Poll: How many alcohol do you drink a week?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How much alcohol do you drink a week?

My roommate has recently started to think / tell other people that he is afraid I am becoming an alcoholic. I drink at most 4 days a week (on my days off), only 1-2 drinks a night unless I am out with my friends, at which time I do occasionally binge drink (5 or more drinks in one night.) In total, I probably only drink 5-6 drinks a week on average.

My question is: how much do you drink a week? Do you drink every night after work? Do you drink alone or only socially?
    Last edited by fooser; 2011-10-12 at 05:37 AM.

Deleted
    Depends on what you mean by "drink". Consume any type of alcohol? 5-6-7 days a week. Get drunk? Never.
    I like a glass of wine with my food and won't shy from an after dinner drink. Just one, for the sake of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends what I'm doing. If its just a normal week, no party or anything similar, I'll have less than five (sometimes I won't have a drink for a month if thats how I feel). Sometimes its alone, other times its with friends. In a normal day situation alcohol is merely a drink, nothing more. At a party if I don't have to drive I can go through a twelve pack of Sam Adams in three hours easily.

Rule of thumb for addiction : If you can cold turkey for a week without going crazy, you aren't addicted and can quit forever. And you have to actually be able to do it not just "Oh, I could if I wanted to but I don't want to right now" crap. If you have doubts, give it a shot and see how you do. If you actually try and can't make it a week or you start having withdrawal symptoms, it may be time to worry. (Note: This is by no means the scientific or medically accepted way of diagnosing addiction but it is a simple way to test it.)
    Last edited by Jodah; 2011-10-12 at 06:35 AM.

Right now I probably drink like 12 beers over the course of a few weeks. I went through a phase after I hit 21 that lasted for almost a year I think, and I'd drink 2-4 beers a night 4-5 days of the week (especially if it was a raid night, fucking ICC lol). Then one day I just started slowing down without trying/thinking about it, it turned into a 6 pack a week, and then after that pretty much where I'm at right now.

I don't consider 6 drinks a week to be an alcoholic, but that's because I've been there and I know what's it like, and I know people that were truly alcoholics. You drink a ton more than that if you're an alcoholic.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2011-10-12 at 06:48 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I very rarely drink at Home and only ever have 2 or 3 if I go out, which is maybe once every month or 2.

dont really drink during the week... if theres a party i can go into the 20s

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe 3-5 days a week I'll have a beer.

A beer.

Ok, one of those days I might have 2-3. But I rarely even get buzzed. I'm not against getting inebriated. But it's not high on my priority list. Drinking more than 2-3 in a whole night only happens 1-3 times a year.

I got a lot of that out of my system in my 20s. Getting older, getting married and having kids will settle a man down a bit. (or should)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only drink when people come over, if it's family, i'll have 1-2 Singapore Slings, if it's friends over anywhere from 2-4. I literally drink nothing but Singapore slings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.

none i dont drink at all. ive had my fun and gotten into my trouble

Deleted
    I don't drink now i'm with my girlfriend. But a year ago i used to drink every friday and saturday, and i'd drink anything i could get my hands on, whilst out with my friends. Also, any night my friends were having a drink on a week night, or smoking some weed, i'd do that also.

10+ Year Old Account
    A shot a day keeps the pain away.

Deleted
    "How many alcohol do you drink a week?"
    Am i the only one who doesn't get the question :P ?
    What does alcohol stand for ? a beer ? a shot ? a what ?

1 or 2 every other day usually, sometimes go a couple of weeks without drinking, sometimes have the occasional binge. What you've been doing doesn't realy sound like "alcoholic" type volumes, but I guess it depends on if your just having a drink because you enjoy it or because you depend on it (if its the latter, maybe tone it down a bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Aterons View Post
    "How many alcohol do you drink a week?"
    Am i the only one who doesn't get the question :P ?
    What does alcohol stand for ? a beer ? a shot ? a what ?
    Just a typical drink. Generally a shot (mixed drink with 1 shot), 12 oz beer, or 5 oz of wine all have about the same amount of alcohol in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aterons View Post
    What does alcohol stand for?
    Is that an honest question? I'd assume asking how much alcohol you consume a week would mean just that. Alcohol is Alcohol now matter what form it comes in.

As for me I don't drink, unless you include the little bit that might be in some medications which in that case is whatever small quantity you get from a single dosage two or so times a day over the course of a week or two of the whole year.

I worked with a concrete guy a few years back on a large city project and he had no license (from drink driving) who would be driven home by his apprentice every day. On the way home he would stop and buy a case of beer, and continue to drink that case on the way home and when he got home till he passed out every night. Your hot like this so you clearly have no problem.

Deleted
    I chose >15, and that's only untill recently (last 4 months) that it's been like that, on an average weekend, buuut there is a good explaination for that!

I graduated from my Business School this summer, so we've been celebrated that. I've also been to 3 weeks vacations in total (2 in Crete with best friend of mine) and the other week we were 6 dudes with shit loads of alcohol, living in this summer house in this party area, so the summer has been intense.

Just as you would think things would go back to normal, I started uni right off, and we've had so many introduction-days/weekends with sleepovers and Thursday-bars, and because our schedual is fucked up (sometimes we don't have to go to school on a weds, sometimes friday etc) In one week I went to a club weds, had a lecture or two on thurs around 15-16~, head straight down to the thursday-bar, hit the clubs later on, no school friday/soothe your hangovers, introduction-party @ school saturday, introduction-trip on monday -> weds with free beer the first two days.

Untill last week, that's how my week would probably look like, which is around 1½~ month of intense drinking, lol. Shit costs a lot, so I'm planning on slowing down (hey, not planning on going this week either!), but damn it feels like I've been with my school for multiple years, when its barely been two months yet

---------- Post added 2011-10-12 at 10:09 AM ----------

Oh, and to actually answer your question: Sometimes when the weather is good, we're often a few people heading down to one of the bars @ school to have a few before leaving. It's really "hygge" :]

If you're drinking alcohol on a daily basis you have a problem. It doesn't matter if you're feeling tipsy or full drunk.....it's simple not good for your body, lots of calories and it harms your organs (mainly your liver) because it's constantly having to try get rid of the alcohol from your system.

I clicked "I Dont drink alcohol". Its rare for me to drink, maybe once every couple of months. Even then its 1 bottle of beer.

I rarely EVER drink, only on social occasions and at parties.
    However, if my week has been particularly bad, I admit, I will crack open a bottle of Baileys or a glass of wine.