10+ Year Old Account

Using my Mac as a temporary reciever?

Hey guys, So I've ordered my computer and I should have it by tomorrow or Monday. The question I have for you is, Can i use my iMac as an internet receiver for my soon to be new desktop? I have tried to google it but I'm not quiet sure what they talk about, and it seems it is possible.
    Thanks for your help!

An internet receiver? What is that supposed to mean?

What exactly do you want to do?
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe I worded that wrong, My desktop won't have wireless capability, because the computer itself is maxing out my limit. I was wondering if i could use my iMac, that I am currently on using its WiFi or 'airport'. Could i use an ethernet cable and connect them and have internet on my desktop?

Deleted
    I know this is 100% possible Windows -> Windows, but I have no clue on Mac -> Windows.
    If it's not possible, throw bootcamp on it and use it as a Windows machine to channel interwebz to your main rig.

Deleted
    Let's get this straight.

You got a windows computer, but no router? But your iMac is connected to the internet using a cable.

If that's the case, you can make a new network and connect to that on the windows. Kinda like if the iMac was a router.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhoodexe View Post
    Let's get this straight.

You got a windows computer, but no router? But your iMac is connected to the internet using a cable.

If that's the case, you can make a new network and connect to that on the windows. Kinda like if the iMac was a router.
    Pretty sure that he just doesn't have a wireless network adapter for his PC, but owns a router. His Mac is wirelessly connected to the internet.

I have no idea about mac to windows. You may run into some compatibility issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lets see if I understand the situation. You have access to the internet from your Mac via WiFi, but your PC lacks a wireless card. So you want to use your Macs WiFi connection on your PC via a wire connecting the two? It CAN be done, but you would need a cross over cable to connect the PC to the Mac via their ethernet ports and then configure the Mac as a router.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/26/how-t...-a-nat-router/
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks Kujako! I'll read that and see if that doesn't work

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Lets see if I understand the situation. You have access to the internet from your Mac via WiFi, but your PC lacks a wireless card. So you want to use your Macs WiFi connection on your PC via a wire connecting the two? It CAN be done, but you would need a cross over cable to connect the PC to the Mac via their ethernet ports and then configure the Mac as a router.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/03/26/how-t...-a-nat-router/
    Actually crossover cables are no longer needed for these types of use's. I had to use a crossover for pc-ps2 then xbox 360 came out and normal cat5 worked fine. So you likely donot need a crossover cable. In terms of difference crossovers are one or a few wires wired differently in the end of the Ethernet jack but still a normal cat5 cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Actually crossover cables are no longer needed for these types of use's. I had to use a crossover for pc-ps2 then xbox 360 came out and normal cat5 worked fine. So you likely donot need a crossover cable. In terms of difference crossovers are one or a few wires wired differently in the end of the Ethernet jack but still a normal cat5 cable.
    Quoted for truth.

Most modern hardware (don't know about the apple) does support Auto-MDI(X) and thus crossovers internally if two "active" devices are connected. (hint: 1000Base-T devices all do.)
    So a simple cat5(e) patch cable or better should suffice.