Poll: Would you P2P for GW2?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If we're talking quality versus other subscription modeled MMOs, then yes, I would pay $14.99/mo for GW2. Needless to say, ArenaNet is developing a game that visibly outshines most current MMOs; the combat looks fluid, the environments are rich, and they're innovating in areas that other MMOs will not.

However, one of the biggest selling points for Guild Wars 2 is their no subscription model. If I'm thinking forwardly, I'm not sure that I would pay for Guild Wars 2; if the game grows as large as expected, it should lead the charge for non-subscription MMOs in the future. MMOs would be a lot more accessible if subscriptions weren't so common.

The B2P is one of the many reasons I'm saving up for it, but if it was cheaper than WoW, I would gladly pay it, if only for additional amazing content.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Deleted
    No

1:10

Honestly, the sub fee is becoming pretty old business model. It was mandatory back in the day, where the server cost was high and competition on the market was not as intense. But nowadays? I mean there are kids that are able to host 4k players in WoW private servers on their basement and new MMOs popping up every month or s...

Although up until now I was a fan of P2P over F2P, I find sub fees not flexible at all, especially since a lot of quality P2P MMOs are F2P now. The B2P + MT that GW is using is the best imo.

To answer you question: It depends on how good GW2 will turn out to be. I am between "I wouldn't be happy but more willing than to pay for WoW" and "No".

10+ Year Old Account
    Only if there was no competitor game that was P2P that I was enjoying more. To keep my wallet in tact I only allow myself one subscription-based game.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

No, and not because of money problems but because the current model doesn't force the developers to include some kind of "end game" grinding to artificially make the customer login regularly to justify the subscription.

Yes of course. I am not rich but I respect the hard work and if subscription help the developers to sustain the quality of the game and even make it better why not? If the game makes true only the half of what it promises even then it would be an epic game and would deserve subscription..

other thing is that lot of games that are free after a while are going to a dangerous way for adding "virtual goods" for real money and I don't mean vanity items..I support vanity items but some games, like lotro for example, are also selling things that directly affect into gameplay...so a subscription is a safe way for the game to avoid searching for money with "other ways"
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

I wouldn't mind tbh. It's Guild Wars, I was gonna play it anyway since I played GW1 for some years and I know GW2 will be awesome!

I think the game IS good enough to be compared to in quality with other subscription based MMO's. I think that is what the question is getting at but I really don't want to pay a sub fee anymore. That video got me thinking was Firelands worth $105.00? No, is any expansion that takes that long worth that much? No, that is almost as much money you would pay for a collectors edition of something.

NO
    because there are going to be micro transactions pets mounts etc so there shouldn't be a monthly fee

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonKing View Post
    I might be a little crazy or abnormal but I personally don't mind the gear treadmill, I actually kinda like it. I like the system that GW2 will be using as well, but I think both styles have their place at least in my opinion and it is the whole reason why I'm going to be playing GW2 alongside another MMO to get my fix with both ways of doing things.
    There's a psychological reason why people put up with it and even think they enjoy it. You should watch penny arcade's web episode on skinner's box for an easily understandable explanation of the concept. It will also make you wonder if perhaps the games we play are going a bit too far in this regard. Here's a link to it for ya.
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-skinner-box

Who is John Galt?

Its fairly similar in the current setup.

take for example.

WoW, 6 months subs- 1 content patch
    total: $90
    GW, couple months - 1 content patch to buy
    total: $60

Only dif is you dont have to buy the patch if you dont want to, but can still keep playing.
    A man chooses, a Slave obeys. OBEY! - Andrew Ryan, Bioshock

Quote Originally Posted by Vaelkyri View Post
    Its fairly similar in the current setup.

take for example.

WoW, 6 months subs- 1 content patch
    total: $90
    GW, couple months - 1 content patch to buy
    total: $60

Only dif is you dont have to buy the patch if you dont want to, but can still keep playing.
    Also chances are they will not be able to put out major content bundles worthy of boxing up for an expansion every month or two. For an MMO a 6 month dev cycle is prety much a minimum to do an expansion justice and even then you almost need more than one dev team working on separate expansions to maintain that pace. I'd rather pay $60 every 6 months or so for expansions that add alot of content than pay $90 over 6 months only to find that all the devs could scrape up in that time was 7 measly bosses and a quest hub. IF the firelands patch had been boxed up and offered to you for $90 as an expansion how many of you would have payed for it? Personally I woulda laughed in their face and told them to pull the other one.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    There's a psychological reason why people put up with it and even think they enjoy it. You should watch penny arcade's web episode on skinner's box for an easily understandable explanation of the concept. It will also make you wonder if perhaps the games we play are going a bit too far in this regard. Here's a link to it for ya.
    http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-skinner-box
    I don't think I enjoy it, I know I enjoy it. I know that it's a skinner box, but honestly I don't really care. I will say though that I do like it in moderation and there has to be many other things to keep me engaged in what's going on. Like in WoW for instance things are just starting to feel like getting gear for the sake of getting gear, I'm a big lore nerd, but WoW doesn't really do a good job of presenting their lore directly in the game. Without this direct integration into the storyline I'm starting to feel rather detached from it. Getting new gear can be fun as long as I find the method of getting it to be fun.

Even GW2 is going to have a gear grind, but they are moving away from stats at least at level cap and are instead moving the gear grind in favor of aesthetics. Getting more aesthetically pleasing gear is going to make GW2's gear treadmill to be worthwhile. It also helps that the world, characters, gameplay, story of GW2 all look very enticing.

Been payin' a sub to play various MMOs since 1998, wouldn't hesitate for a second for this game. Now the GW1 fanbois on the other hand.... would flip a shit and probably try to boycott the game if they did this.

Ironically, the only way I would consider playing SW:TOR at this point would be if it was B2P.
    Last edited by Drakhar; 2011-10-17 at 05:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Merendel View Post
    I'd rather pay $60 every 6 months or so for expansions that add a lot of content than pay $90 over 6 months only to find that all the devs could scrape up in that time was 7 measly bosses and a quest hub.

IF the firelands patch had been boxed up and offered to you for $90 as an expansion how many of you would have payed for it? Personally I woulda laughed in their face and told them to pull the other one.
    This x 100

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, Guild Wars 2 defiantly looks like a great game, although, I will never leave WoW for it I would be willing to pay for it due to the fact that I saw germen gameplay of "The Shattering" boss fight and it was really epic.

Yes, because I'm NOT one of the people who are only buying the game because it's B2P. I'd be more than happy to pay a subscription fee for the quality of MMO that I'd be receiving. The fact that I don't have to is just a bonus.

I mean, if I'm willing to pay a subscription fee for WoW, I should be willing to pay one for GW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    NO
    because there are going to be micro transactions pets mounts etc so there shouldn't be a monthly fee
    Sounds familiar.

15+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Don't have a lot of time to game these days, and I can't justify paying a subscription for a game I play once a week. Subscriptions are the reason I quit MMOs, so I'm happy this one doesn't have it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I would. But the B2P model is better since they can just ignore the whiners completely as they already have bought the game. :3