Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Fallout: New Vegas

So I've been thinking about getting this game for some time now, but I'm not completely sure.

Should I?

I've enjoyed it so far...but I've been playing in between league of legends and wow so I am not very far into it. If you liked fallout 3 you will probably enjoy it as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Deleted
    It has a great freedom of questlines and adventuring yet it is filled with tiny things you would think it could have been different. If you've played Fallout 3 it will probably be the same experience yet it feels like it's rather an expansion then a new game as for the mechanics. If you loved Fallout 3 it will be as simple to get mesmerized by this game as well. If you're new to this game, to any bethesda games then you will need a big share of patience to unfold what the game is truly about.The best addition is the hardcore mode which require you to sleep, eat/stay hydrated and actual doctors to fix broken limbs + everything will be alot harder. (Read Cazadors >:[ )

10+ Year Old Account
    Cazadors are a joke post Old World Blues though.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

I felt like there was actually not enough combat in it, compared to Fallout 3. The main plot is all about interacting with different groups and I think they do it as well as they could, but I really didn't feel like there was any suspense or proper build-up compared to Fallout 3. On the other hand, Fallout 3's main story was very much divorced from what else you could do around the world, so it had this scripted story that sort of apprehended you for a few hours, said "Okay, you're now doing the main plot, you can go back wandering in a few hours once you get out." New Vegas is more along the lines of "Everything you do in some way generally will relate back to your main goals, but we're not as scripted."

A few mods fix that up. Check out A World of Pain (adds like 90 something new dungeons / new weapons / new enemies) and Project Nevada. Project Nevada is nearly an entire overhaul of the game, adding a lot of stuff that could make the game easier (and it's already not a hard game), but it's fully configurable so you can just take what you like, such as the grenade hotkey, sprint, new weapons, etc).

I'd really consider playing Fallout 3 GOTY first since it's likely cheaper and has all of the great DLC packs attached (one of them is actually defending Anchorage from the Chinese!) and they talk a lot more about the history of the world, while New Vegas not being nuked really gives them a whole different outlook. That and in 6 months or a year, NV should have all its DLC out and a package deal will be likely cheaper.

Deleted
    If you liked Fallout 3, then go for it.. If you haven't played Fallout 3, then get that

Quote Originally Posted by Fengore View Post
    Cazadors are a joke post Old World Blues though.
    I hate them because they are almost impossible to snipe. Easiest way to kill them is to get mid / close range and shoot the wings in VATS.

They can still kill you pretty fast if you get caught off guard.

It's a really fun game, but I can't compare it to Fallout 3. The DLC is weaker and the story is very short - Playing on Normal I can start a new character and be done inside 10 hours, 2 Hardcore clears that didn't take more than 20 hours each. If you haven't played Fallout 3, though, definetley pick up the Game of the Year edition before considering New Vegas - Fallout 3 is a 95/100 for me, Vegas around 80.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

After disappointment of FO3, New Vegas was very awesome game to play and is certainly worth picking up. The only thing that sucks with it is the awful Gamebryo engine it is running on
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I hate them because they are almost impossible to snipe. Easiest way to kill them is to get mid / close range and shoot the wings in VATS.

They can still kill you pretty fast if you get caught off guard.
    + the additional poisoning you get. If you don't have any antidote you're screwed or wasting alot of healing supplies. In comparison the Deathclaw is a much easier target because of their size and their moving pace when it comes to an anti-materiel rifle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly at this point, I'd say wait a couple more months for them to release the GOTY edition, which would include all the DLC for only $10 more. No proof that they're doing this, but they did with Fallout 3, so I'd assume they'll do the same with New Vegas.
    And now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by sp13 View Post
    Honestly at this point, I'd say wait a couple more months for them to release the GOTY edition, which would include all the DLC for only $10 more. No proof that they're doing this, but they did with Fallout 3, so I'd assume they'll do the same with New Vegas.
    I agree, most of the DLC was rather disappointing, but Old World Blues was a truly great add-on!

I've played over 100 hours of the game, and it truly is fantastic, and of course with the modding community I could easily start a new game (or continue an old one) for another 100 hours!

15+ Year Old Account
    Sure, why not, though the game is not for everyone, it's under 20 bucks almost everywhere so it's safe to try it I'd say. Haven't played it myself, still trying to get through Fallout 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sp13 View Post
    I guess it depends on whether or not New Vegas won any Game of the Year awards? I thought that was kind of the point of a GOTY edition.

Anyway, if you liked Fallout 3 you'll like this. If your PC can run it, you should definitely get the PC version, because that will let you run mods; getting the right mods can make the game much more fun. You definitely want Weapon Mod Expansion and Project Nevada to start.
    Thank you dubbelbasse for the excellent sig!

It's a great game, but since you've already waited, I'd maybe wait a bit longer for a version of it to come out that includes all the DLC. If you buy it now and buy all the DLC separately, it's going to cost quite a bit.

Deleted
    Fallout 3 bored the hell out of me, but that was because I was comparing it to 1 and 2. I hear New Vegas leans more towards the feel of F1 and F2 though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haturo View Post
    + the additional poisoning you get. If you don't have any antidote you're screwed or wasting alot of healing supplies. In comparison the Deathclaw is a much easier target because of their size and their moving pace when it comes to an anti-materiel rifle.
    Again hence why OWB makes Cazadores a joke, you come out with +damage bonuses to them and immunity to poison. Just take them out in VATS.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Its a awesome game. I beat it once with good karma and a second time killing everything in my path.

Also it makes the game a lot funner if you do it on hardcore mode, so you have to eat, sleep etc and stimpacks heal over time instead of instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Its a awesome game. I beat it once with good karma and a second time killing everything in my path.

Also it makes the game a lot funner if you do it on hardcore mode, so you have to eat, sleep etc and stimpacks heal over time instead of instantly.
    I was kind of miffed by the Hardcore mode in a sense that the game still felt extremely easy, I can't ever remember situation where any of those limits would've actually meant something if you played even a little bit smart. :/

Expesially the drinking thing should've been far more harsher, considering it's a post-nuclear desert, now there was everything around plentily, even purified water.

Now it really felt more like a tacked on feature with no real thought put out. Scavenger styled gameplay would've been awesome if the world actually had shortage of stuff.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    I was kind of miffed by the Hardcore mode in a sense that the game still felt extremely easy, I can't ever remember situation where any of those limits would've actually meant something if you played even a little bit smart. :/

Expesially the drinking thing should've been far more harsher, considering it's a post-nuclear desert, now there was everything around plentily, even purified water.

Now it really felt more like a tacked on feature with no real thought put out. Scavenger styled gameplay would've been awesome if the world actually had shortage of stuff.
    Your right, it really didnt make it that much harder, except for the stimpack thing in a tuff fight.

It mostly made a difference at the beggining of the game, but after you got your self some caps it wasnt too much of a hassle to get your character fed and stuff. I just think it adds to the fallout feel.