WoW Down to 8.3 Million Subscribers
Activision Blizzard's press release states that World of Warcraft is down to 8.3 million subscribers. This is a loss of 1.3 million, down from 9.6 million last quarter. Most of the loss came from the East once again.

  • Blizzard expects to have less subscribers at the end of the year than they do today.
  • Most of the decline in subscribers came from China.
  • There has been less engagement by casual players.
  • Blizzard is going to work on improving the experience for returning players.
  • Blizzard All Stars and Titan will not be released in 2013 according to the slide below.
  • Heart of the Swarm was the #1 PC game of the quarter, selling 1.1 million copies in two days.
  • There has been increased competition with F2P games in Asia.
  • Players consume content faster and subscribe and unsubscribe as new content is added.

This article was originally published in forum thread: WoW Down to 8.3 Million Subscribers started by chaud View original post
Comments 905 Comments
  1. Deirhese's Avatar
    Lol, some games are thriving at 200k players and some think 8.3 mil is the end of the game.
  1. afonze30's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vosz View Post
    Ouchhh didn't expect this. (even though I quit a few weeks ago too)
    I quit almost a year ago. sad to see it drop so much but I finally got my life back.....minecraft is awesome!

    LMAO!!!
  1. McNeil's Avatar
    Imagine the next quarter.... don't think 5.3 will impress people enough to stay subbed.
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Will be interesting to hear their explanation.
  1. Suggs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sargerus View Post
    that's only natural, wow will keep bleeding subs until next xpac
    So what your saying is people buy the expansions, play half of it or just the first tier then quit then wait till next expansion and do the same???

    Sick of seeing people type that bullshit, stop kidding yourself with such verbal bollocks.
  1. ringpriest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thyrial View Post
    People are going to completely blow this out of proportion. I wish Blizz would release regional numbers so people would see that the US and EU servers haven't really fluctuated anywhere near as much as people think.
    '

    That would involve letting people know that a good chunk of their subscriptions are from the much less profitable Asian market.
  1. Nirron's Avatar
    With the increase in player base the community went to shit. A decrease will only improve the quality of the community.
  1. Mrjhova's Avatar
    I am a statistic now!! Woooohooo
  1. Sky High's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    does anyone else want to admit that MoP was a good expansion or throw out their illogical opinion that we'll look back and say MoP was great... that person, whoever you are... you are wrong. WoW is nothing like it used to be and people are finally realizing that. I'm glad, I really am... no one deserves to make money off of a game when it was amazing and then turned to crap and made into a cash cow. Lets wait for Q2... maybe subs will be under 5 million.
    yes because what YOUR opinion is should mean anything to MY opinion. but go ahead keep tooting the WoW is dead horn and wishing for it's demise forgetting that there ARE people who still play and enjoy it. get over yourself.
  1. Yunru's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Galaxeon View Post
    Wow, wasn't expecting anything that big. It's not like there's a lack of good content causing it.
    Good continent for them are dailys . No fly zone on thunder isle was probaly a final nail in a coffer for some ppl.
  1. Ryzzen's Avatar
    We will see if they break down the numbers, but my guess is 1 million+ from "the East" and the other 300k or so from the Americas and Europe. The game is old, there are new things to try, and in all seriousness who expected Wow to keep 10 million+ subs going when they are approaching the 10 year mark?

    I like this Xpac. The raiding has been well done, but it was very unfriendly to alts, and some people like to play multiple toons. We will probably get a bump with 5.4 and then another drop until the next xpac.

    I agree with what someone said earlier, I could see wow losing subs until about the 5 million mark and then stabilizing for a long while.
  1. Noctus78's Avatar
    East burning out faster with the double reset in 1 week?
  1. Aerialslayer's Avatar
    Not that big of a deal. There are still more than 8 MILLION people playing the game. On top of that we had SC2: Heart of the Swarm release which was the #1 selling game this year.
  1. Tornainbow's Avatar
    More dailies! More reputation farming! More raid bosses! More tokens to acquire! More point farming! MORE!


    /ormaybethatisourproblem
  1. Ellesarr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    jeez, don't take your anger out on me... I'm sorry your game isn't as good as you like to believe it is... just because you're mad doesn't mean you have to show hostility towards me.
    explain to me how a 9 year old game that has 8m subs is bad.

    nice logic
  1. Osmeric's Avatar
    Stock now down 5% after hours.
  1. Nibu's Avatar
    Yeah weird, since the game is the best it's ever been. However, I do agree with the low pop issues that needs resolving quickly. I play on a low-populated server and it really feels kind of dead compared to before. Recruiting is difficult and the last 5-7 recruits we've had have been found on other realms. (This is good for Blizzard though, more transfer money - tinfoilhat).

    All in all, the only thing that's making the game not enjoyable is the lack of people around on certain servers. Fix it soon!
  1. |Dexter|'s Avatar
    Most of the loss came from the East once again guys.... unless you got a ton of people on your server that are from the east you where not really affected and your server was not as well!
  1. Mouri Kogorou's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Get over yourself. The MMO market in general is shrinking. What accounts for slumping numbers for newer games ? If your theories are so accurate.
    Age of wusho having massive amount of subs.

    games that turned free to play are gaining a steady amount of players.
  1. isadorr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    This was....disheartening.
    They cant make the game like they used to because people will cry too much about the difficulty of the game. They keep nerfing everything for the bads/casuals and the game is becoming crap. What happened to getting better so you can down more bosses? Try recruiting out of this abysmal talent pool, i know lots of guilds called it quite because of just that. They nerf everything so people never have to improve to get better which leads you to a horrid player base to try and recruit from.

Site Navigation