Thread: Dota 2

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Dota 2

Just got into the beta, and I got to say, I'm not fully impressed with it, I hate to say it because I've been avoiding LoL, but LoL has alot more to offer at the moment, I know Dota 2 is a work in progress, but if it doesn't change, I do not see a good future for that game.

I'm going to slide this over to the Video Game Forums.

I'm super jelly. I've been signed up for the beta for months. But on a related note, It really depends on the person. I didnt really get into LoL, i played it for a bit. but it just wasnt my cup of tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Safushi View Post
    I'm super jelly. I've been signed up for the beta for months. But on a related note, It really depends on the person. I didnt really get into LoL, i played it for a bit. but it just wasnt my cup of tea.
    Its almost exactly the same game as Dota was, just with newer heros and ALOT of returning heros.

I am by no means saying LoL is better then Dota, just saying it has way more to offer with maps/heros, I really hope its not Pay 2 Play, It would seriously benifit so much more from F2P.

(give me your key)

Quote Originally Posted by Aerisot View Post
    Its almost exactly the same game as Dota was, just with newer heros and ALOT of returning heros.

I am by no means saying LoL is better then Dota, just saying it has way more to offer with maps/heros, I really hope its not Pay 2 Play, It would seriously benifit so much more from F2P.
    I know what you mean. And yeah, I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    (give me your key)
    You can buy my entire steam account for just a merely 20.000 euro Lysah! ~

To OP; I agree with you, DotA2 lacks a lot in it's current state, for me in terms of most fun to play: HoN > LoL > DotA > DotA2
    I am not shitting you, DotA is better than DotA2 in it's current state :<
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

What people seem to forget is that Icefrog only took over an already made dota map from guinsoo (the guy whos making LoL at riot) and Eul.

All he did was balance the map in the War3 map editor, he has no proven record of making games from scratch and just because he was a good map balancer and maintainer does not necessarily mean he'll make a great game from scratch at valve.
    Last edited by Yalingo; 2011-12-21 at 08:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

Quote Originally Posted by Yalingo View Post
    What people seem to forget is that Icefrog only took over an already made dota map from guinsoo (the guy whos making LoL at riot) and Eul.

All he did was balance the map in the War3 map editor, he has no proven record of making games from scratch and just because he was a good map balancer and maintainer does not necessarily mean he'll make a great game from scratch at valve.
    True... but the fanbase worships him as a god... for whatever reason. Didn't he got kicked from both riot and S2 for outrageous demands? Like being head developer or something? Might be just gossip though... I am going off topic here ><
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

Deleted
    im in the beta too and i have to say its awesome

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Icefrog took over the game long ago, and has created many, MANY new heroes. He has done a great job, there is no denying that.
    Also, yes, it's in Beta, it won't have all of the heroes DotA 1 has. That said, it will be exactly the same game with better engines and support and such.
    Also, other than a few heroes and slight changes HoN is pretty similar to DotA, and to me LoL really only uses the same gametype and is a very different game that is hard to compare to DotA(leveling up between games, cycling of heroes, etc.).

I love DOTA 2 as someone who didn't really like MOBA games before it. I prefer the DOTA mechanics than the simplified LoL ones, and DOTA 2 also has one of the best competitive interfaces ever made. You can actually spectate games while in matchmaking and spectate mode actually allows commentators. I'm very impressed with it.

Yes, it is in beta and heroes are still being ported over. There are updates every thursday with usually one new hero per week and other additions.

10+ Year Old Account
    All he did was balance the map...
    And it is enough to deserve DotA player's respect. Balancing MOBAs is a very hard task.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUntsAhts View Post
    Also, other than a few heroes and slight changes HoN is pretty similar to DotA, and to me LoL really only uses the same gametype and is a very different game that is hard to compare to DotA(leveling up between games, cycling of heroes, etc.).
    Can I ask you when you last played HoN? Because the way you say it brings me back when HoN was in BETA..! Either that or you haven't played DotA2 yet! :P
    ◕ ‿ ◕ uguu~

Deleted
    I wasn't interested in it, but got beta access to it and after doing a couple of matches wasn't all too impressed honestly. For someone who has played 522 hours on Heroes of Newerth and 481 on League of Legends (Tracked hours anyway, so not all of them) I wasn't shocked by DotA 2 in the slightest.

It will likely at least kill Heroes of Newerth, purely based on popularity and name, but it won't really offer much of a different experience. I honestly prefer Heroes of Newerth at this stage if I wanted to play something like that (Because it just has way more in it right now) - as they play identical. Myself I'm more a League of Legends fan, and prefer the advancements they have made there. But for someone who prefers the more "classic" MOBA game I suppose DotA 2 will be right up your alley. It won't bring anything new though.. Not yet, anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's not supposed to be a different experience; it's going to be a graphical update with small gameplay changes
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

People who are impressed or unimpressed by the gameplay, can you be more specific and more detailed here?

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    It's not supposed to be a different experience; it's going to be a graphical update with small gameplay changes
    This is great for returning veterans of the Dota but what does this game offer for a brand new player who didn't catch on to original Dota, or LoL or HoN?

And I certainly hope Valve has improved the commentating feature during the match, from what was shown during Gamescom, the commentary lags into oblivion when the game lags.
    Last edited by zaoly; 2011-12-21 at 08:18 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a brand new game to them then. It's similar to the Starcraft -> Starcraft 2 changes

If the original DotA, HoN, or LoL didn't hold your interest then there's not going to be anything for you in DotA 2
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

What exactly do you not like about the game might I ask? What more does LoL offer to you than Dota does at the moment?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Something that seems to be looked down at these days. It's taken Sega many years to realise what Sonic fans want IE not werewolves and knights