View Poll Results: Shaolin Monk Vs. MMA fighter. Who would win?

Voters
469. This poll is closed
  • Shaolin Monk

318 67.80%
  • MMA Fighter

151 32.20%
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    They just hide from Chuck Norris.
    If Chuck Norris was the pupil of Bruce Lee what does it mean?

Is Bruce Lee the equivilant of god? And Chuck Norris is the equivilant of Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Do people really believe that the monks know a '5 finger exploding heart technique'? Thats TV stuff guys. Monks are holy artists. Not great deadly warriors. . . . .
    No-one is saying that, but monks train their whole life, learn all sorts of techniques and abilities seemingly impossible for the average human, for example, I watched a documentary on the shaolin monks, and there was one that could do a 1 finger handstand, one that could literally bend his ankle about 180 degrees, heck one was balancing on his stomach on a spear tip, with all his body weight on it. Monks have a great deal of mental discipline as well.

Where they can actually mentally make their strikes(punches/kicks) stronger than usual.

Judging by these guys flexibility & speed it would not matter if a mma fighter did get him on the ground in a hold lol

Oh, I think we know the outcome of that.
    what i meant to imply was that we will never know the outcome of that because the very nature of jesus who was about peace and forgiveness and non violence (at least thats what the book tells us, isnt it?) that "jesus" would not be "jesus" anymore would he agree to the fight. that would be like spiderman spawning scorpid claws and stinger, loosing spidy sense and gaining hardned shell skin. he would simply not be spidy anymore. chuck on the other hand is not known to slap peacefull people no matter the disagreement.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rushofcrazy View Post
    I have to lol at all these people saying "oh, you living a dream man, stop watching movies, mma ftw...shaolin monks only train for show, flashy but ineffective moves." Ummmmm learn your history. They just didnt do this shit for no reason, they trained in order to defend monastaries from fucking ninjas. Holy damn all you MMA fanboys. Not a contest, Monk hands down, before the MMA guys can put on his stupid little gloves.
    So, why did their monastery get sacked repeatedly through out late medieval Chinese history? Were they incompetent?

Honestly though, so is BBJ. That's why these hybrid systems are becoming so prominent. By combining Muay Thai, Kyokushin, BBJ, and Sambo to name a few, you can mitigate the short comes of each. This, of course, creates other short comings in terms of specialization.
    I'm not preaching that BJJ is any different, everything has flaws. That is why an MMA fighter would probably defeat a Shaolin Monk. As far as I know Monks don't train in an Art that can be flawless and cover the vastness MMA does. However on your comment about how BJJ is outdated I think you may be wrong, its actually a very new style, but Its of course you need good striking as well.

I don't really care what you call me, you can even call me cold...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cardoc View Post
    If any regular shaolin monk can destroy a normal mma fighter..then wouldnt the greatest shaolin monk destroy George?
    Finally, someone who has seen a shaolin monk take on an MMA fighter! Did you happen to capture any video footage of this feat? Any news article? No?

You haven't seen the best shaolin monk. Nobody has. In fact if most supporters of this thread are to be believed, almost nobody has seen a "true" shaolin monk because they keep to themselves - let alone seen them fighting.

But we HAVE seen the best MMA fighters.

So saying the Shaolin monk would win is like saying pink elephants exist purely because nobody can disprove it.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    what i meant to imply was that we will never know the outcome of that because the very nature of jesus who was about peace and forgiveness and non violence (at least thats what the book tells us, isnt it?) that "jesus" would not be "jesus" anymore would he agree to the fight. that would be like spiderman spawning scorpid claws and stinger, loosing spidy sense and gaining hardned shell skin. he would simply not be spidy anymore. chuck on the other hand is not known to slap peacefull people no matter the disagreement.
    Chuck is the reason the Second Coming hasn't happened yet. Nobody judges Chuck Norris and lives.

Find a monk that can take out Silva, and I'll be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by skyclops View Post

Judging by these guys flexibility & speed it would not matter if a mma fighter did get him on the ground in a hold lol
    Flexibility cannot save you from a choke though. and the flashiest and most impressive part of that video was the sword exhibit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godshot View Post
    I'm not preaching that BJJ is any different, everything has flaws. That is why an MMA fighter would probably defeat a Shaolin Monk. As far as I know Monks don't train in an Art that can be flawless and cover the vastness MMA does. However on your comment about how BJJ is outdated I think you may be wrong, its actually a very new style, but Its of course you need good striking as well.
    Eh, it's newish. It's about as old as most of the Karate systems out there other than Shotokan and the old Okinawan stuff (i.e. 60ish years old.) But that's not really what I'm getting at. I just mean that BJJ (I don't know why I always type BBJ. Weird.) and MMA have really exploded on to the global fight scene together. Other than the first couple of UFC tourneys in the early 90s, everybody who has wanted to fight competitively in MMA has had to learn how to deal with BJJ, either through learning it or learning counters. So, a lot of work has gone into figuring out how to beat BJJ fighters, almost to the point that being a pure BJJ grappler is as much of a liability as being a pure striker in anything but Muay Thai. (Look for the same to happen to Muay Thai over the next 5 years or so.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    No-one is saying that, but monks train their whole life, learn all sorts of techniques and abilities seemingly impossible for the average human, for example, I watched a documentary on the shaolin monks, and there was one that could do a 1 finger handstand, one that could literally bend his ankle about 180 degrees, heck one was balancing on his stomach on a spear tip, with all his body weight on it. Monks have a great deal of mental discipline as well.

Where they can actually mentally make their strikes(punches/kicks) stronger than usual.
    And I can make pizzas at speeds that should be impossible for the average human - by that logic I must be able to beat MMA fighters. So should all extreme stuntmen, like those who freeze themselves in ice and come out fine - those people should REALLY be able to stomp MMA fighters for sure!

What I'm saying is that everything you listed is about as relevant to fighting as my pizza-making skills. They also need to meditate for several minutes to pull off those feats. An MMA fighter doesn't need to meditate in order to utterly wreck someone.

I actually feel bad for the monks who genuinely know how to fight - their image has been ruined by people like you who go around chanting "I've seen a monk walk on lava!". It's like they're part of a circus or something.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-02-28 at 10:10 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly though, so is BBJ. That's why these hybrid systems are becoming so prominent. By combining Muay Thai, Kyokushin, BBJ, and Sambo to name a few, you can mitigate the short comes of each. This, of course, creates other short comings in terms of specialization.
    Pretty much, and people point to there "pain tolerance", a lot of people can train that way? Ever seen "Human Wrecking Ball", they destroy houses..... with their bodies. You can train pain by taking hits, muscle's remember it, bones get bruised then heal in such a way that they are "heavier" than the average person's skeletal system. Bones are filled with porous material (forgot the name), which causes the bruise/pain, to prevent it after the bone bruise the bone hardens and becomes "stronger".

Also, if the they (monks) where the end all, special forces units would train in them, not Krav Maga, Sambo, etc. If I would combine arts would be a form of Krav Maga/Sambo/Pradal Serey/BJJ.

@ Godshot
    And monks are not trained to deal with choke holds etc rofl thats a good one seriously

Anyway, i'm going to say an MMA fighter would generally beat a Shaolin in a street fight. I think most people are voting for the monk based off these coreographed exhibits that are meant to impress you with flashy movements...

Quote Originally Posted by Runenwächter View Post
    you try to refute a generallized conception with what? a single instance or occurance under mma rules? go troll somewhere else. how about that nice global warming thread, i heard you are still welcome there.
    i dont mean to say this is the one single instance it happend in mma. im saying that even though the giant oaf lost, and even though several guys with big physical builds like kimbo slice for example got their ass handed to them by smaller framed people, the general argument still stands. it is a simple matter of physics that is not proven as wrong just because there are exceptions to it.
    seeing as you have no idea about practicing martial arts yourself except that one karate course in 6th grade that made you feel immortal for a few days until you got your ass handed to you by bigger bullies, you drew the conclusion that if you had practiced for one more year you certainly wouldnt have lost. you would have taken the world instead.
    please spare us such nonsense. people are not equal, they are not born equal, they dont grow up equally and they can not until their deaths overcome certain differences, even though in a dark moonless night a cunning 12year old may have knocked out the world heavyweight champion.
    I was pointing out the fact that the bigger man doesn't necessarily win. Go find Stefan Struve fights, he is larger than most of his opponents yet he is 23-5. Hong Man Choi is 5-3 in MMA and 12-6 in kickboxing. Pretty much every "big" fighter loses to smaller fighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Godshot View Post
    Flexibility cannot save you from a choke though. and the flashiest and most impressive part of that video was the sword exhibit
    one second.... pay close attention to the kids at the 5 min mark...

Quote Originally Posted by skyclops View Post
    @ Godshot
    And monks are not trained to deal with choke holds etc rofl thats a good one seriously
    Monks aren't training to fight they train because its a part of their beliefs and meditation, neither of us and probably 90% of people in this thread have no fucking idea what monks know and don't know

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Todgruppe View Post
    Pretty much, and people point to there "pain tolerance", a lot of people can train that way? Ever seen "Human Wrecking Ball", they destroy houses..... with their bodies. You can train pain by taking hits, muscle's remember it, bones get bruised then heal in such a way that they are "heavier" than the average person's skeletal system. Bones are filled with porous material (forgot the name), which causes the bruise/pain, to prevent it after the bone bruise the bone hardens and becomes "stronger".

Also, if the they (monks) where the end all, special forces units would train in them, not Krav Maga, Sambo, etc. If I would combine arts would be a form of Krav Maga/Sambo/Pradal Serey/BJJ.
    What's interesting is that all those arts other than Pradal are hybrids already. It points to how modern martial arts are really becoming super refined and picking up the best techniques from all over the globe. Punches from Europe and Japan, kicks from South East Asian, grappling from South America and Russia.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Hard to say without context or a who vs. who,

one thing I'd like to note though is that as much as Hollywood likes the small guy beating the big guy, physical discrepancy is actually very difficult to overcome.

If we're talking about a 120 pound chinese vs. a 250 pound wrestler, I'd side with the wrestler.
    I take it you never saw early ufc events right? there were no weight classes and very few rules, big guys always got dropped fast as hell. The game/training has changed a lot since then though so really depends on people not size.