Thread: Real Money

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Cash shop items have an effect on overall wealth and relative power; cash shop salvage kits, MKs, repair kits and so on.

There is an advantage to the cash shop. It's just that GW2 isn't competitive in any way that the advantage is one over other players.

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    I personally plan on getting by with out spending a dime on the cash shop. Not because of any moral outrage or anything but simply because there is very little if anything on there that I see even worth my money. Simply my opinion, but I can tell you I dont feel cheated or at any disadvantage at all. Some guy gets to 80 Before me.. um ok grats man. Someone has a sweet looking top hat.. um ok cool, grats im glad you like it.

The game is structured in such a way that absolutely none of the items in that shop matter in anyway in the long run so for me its very easy to resist. If your into vanity items them awesome, im glad they are available to you.

All this ZOMG in game bonuses!! I think you might just need to look into how those actually affect the game before you get your undies in a twist over it. But then again I think most of the people spouting this are just looking for some issue to grief the game on. If it was in ANY way pay to win or really mattered I would not play. However its not so I could care less. More power to em.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    Lottery items for rare gear and high end upgrades (chests drop in the field, keys to chests have to be bought with gems as you get a lot of chests and only a small handful of keys from gameplay).
    I never got any gear in all the mystic chests I opened (about 50), only Dyes, Boosts and sometimes another Mystic Key. I think you can only get Gem shop stuff with the Mystic chests.

I'd consider buying rez orbs and repair kits, if for no other reason than so that if I'm off exploring and don't want to worry about running back from a waypoint if I die...I do wonder, though, if we can receive mail while dead (anyone know?)...if so it'd be viable to not even buy them until you actually need them, though I expect you can't.

Other than that, character slots, bag/bank space...we'll see what else if anything else catches my eye

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Oglok View Post
    I never got any gear in all the mystic chests I opened (about 50), only Dyes, Boosts and sometimes another Mystic Key. I think you can only get Gem shop stuff with the Mystic chests.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Chest
    Correct.

Unless I'm mistaken, no data from the BWE showed that Mystic Chests gave any gear whatsoever, not sure where he's getting that.

Quote Originally Posted by Oglok View Post
    Yup #FirstWorldTyriaProblems

---------- Post added 2012-06-29 at 02:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Chest
    Correct.

Unless I'm mistaken, no data from the BWE showed that Mystic Chests gave any gear whatsoever, not sure where he's getting that.
    Lucky_ likes his FUD

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Most items are either vanity or worthless. A few things are actually usefull, but out of those things only 1 is actually reasonably priced. And thats extra character slots.

The boosts are quite minor, as the bulk of your experience simply doesnt come from killing mobs. And there is not really any advantage to being higher level anyway. PvP scales everyone to lv80 anyway, and content scales you down. Considering what they cost, its a rip off.
    The vanity items are basicly that, my gripe is that they are quite pricey and only work for 1 character.

The self-res is a slow self res that doesnt work in pvp. So, you die doing a DE and slowly res yourself. Considering how rediculous many waypoints there are all over the place it wouldnt suprise me if running is sometimes even faster. Just a small QoL improvement, same goes for the repair canister. Lets face it, you could spare the ingame equivalent of "spare change" to hop back to town instantly, repair and teleport back. So this thing saves you a little time and a little bit of ingame currency, but dont even work in dungeons. Keep in mind, these all take up bagspace aswell. And again, quite overpriced.

You can also buy stuff that lets you access shops or banks from out in the world. But again, saves you a little bit of time and a handfull of coppers as jumping waypoints back and forth is all it takes.

Extra bank tab or bag slot, both usefull. But my god, how expensive. 5$ buys your character 1 extra bag slot... no, not all your characters, 1 character. Really? My god...
    So for one part i am very glad with this gem shop because of how nothing gives you an advantage and stuff is at best a small quality of life improvement. But 90% of the stuff in there is straigth up to expensive for how small of an impact or benefit it actually is.

10+ Year Old Account
    The boosts in GW2 are similar to being able to buy champions with RP in LoL.

And even then, the most important factor that everybody needs to remember in this discussion is that you can trade gold for gems through the commerce window. You don't have to go up to other players to get those gems. The gems are automatically priced based on supply/demand through this system, on people spending gold to get gems. I don't remember if you can trade gems for gold or not, but I highly doubt it.

The point being that anything sold for gems, is also available for in-game currency. You want that experience boost, but don't think it's worth real cash? Then buy some gems for gold instead.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-06-29 at 06:52 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Deleted
    Cash shop sell 2 kinds of items, Vanity items, and items that save you time.

If the ability to pay to farm less is unfair to you, then you won't approve.
    If you instead find it alright that players with less time with the game can still enjoy it, then you will think it's alright.

Simple as that really.

---------- Post added 2012-06-29 at 07:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post

And even then, the most important factor that everybody needs to remember in this discussion is that you can trade gold for gems through the commerce window. You don't have to go up to other players to get those gems. The gems are automatically priced based on supply/demand through this system, on people spending gold to get gems. I don't remember if you can trade gems for gold or not, but I highly doubt it.

The point being that anything sold for gems, is also available for in-game currency. You want that experience boost, but don't think it's worth real cash? Then buy some gems for gold instead.
    Ofcourse you can trade gems for gold. How else would a supply and demand system work? You trade your gold for someone else's gems.

10+ Year Old Account

um no

its exactly like buying IP and EXP boosts in lol

whered you get the jump to champions?
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

I don't remember if you can trade gems for gold or not, but I highly doubt it.
    You can trade gems for gold and vice versa. It's a two way system like many Eastern MMOs from China and Korea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilong View Post
    I have a question :O.

Are these "prices" for gems for real already? Will the Unlock Bag Slot be 400 gems for 1?

(actually a few questions haha)

Do you happen to know how much is per additional character slot? and is there a cap for an account of how much you can get?

Is there any word of how much the gem store will store per bulk of gem (real money?)

Thanks
    when the NCsoft gem store website got leaked a few months back the price for a stack of gems was 800 gems for 10 bucks,, 5 bucks for 400, and 20 and i THINK 50 dollar options as well

but its 400gems:$5 last we've seen

---------- Post added 2012-06-29 at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    You can trade gems for gold and vice versa. It's a two way system like many Eastern MMOs from China and Korea.
    important fact to note: can only sell to players you cant generate new gold by selling gems
    The Original Ganksta

Yah but in the auction house. So its a supply and demand thing. When you think about it the gem store is less intrusive then the blizzard store is in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    like many Eastern MMOs from China and Korea.
    I was going to make the smartass remark "as opposed to Eastern MMOs from North America", but then I remembered TERA

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    important fact to note: can only sell to players you cant generate new gold by selling gems
    If I remember correctly there was an option to exchange gems into gold. Though the exchange rate seemed quit poor.

Or has that been removed?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kakokun View Post
    If I remember correctly there was an option to exchange gems into gold. Though the exchange rate seemed quit poor.

Or has that been removed?
    yes, TO PLAYERS. that exchange was to sell gems to players

the rate was poor b/c Anet gave everyone 2000 gems to test with. everyone had a shitload of gems and everyone didnt have shit for coin
    The Original Ganksta

Actually, the market is similar to how ectos worked in GW1 at the mat trader. If more people buy with gold the price in gems goes up and vice versa. This keeps it at a steady price and ensures that it's not just a bunch of people selling gems to inflate the economy, or people would see that gems are cheap and spend gold to take it back out.

yes, TO PLAYERS

the rate was poor b/c Anet gave everyone 2000 gems to test with. everyone had a shitload of gems and everyone didnt have shit for coin

That's not what I meant.

There was an option in the cash shop menu to change gems into gold. Where does other players come into play there?

That's not what I meant.

There was an option in the cash shop menu to change gems into gold. Where does other players come into play there?
    You're not directly selling to players, but the price is based off of how many people are selling/buying.
    Means that extra gold won't be pumped into the economy. If no one is spending gold on them, they won't be worth it to sell for gold and vice versa.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what I meant.

that never existed. it was always to sell to players
    The Original Ganksta