Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Personal responsibility, something people here have no grasp of.

With the amount of home invasions we have had lately in florida i dont want people coming up to my house either. Im sure someone on the other side of the world will link a blog proving me wrong...

You follow rules or suffer consequences, thats how it is as an adult.
    Someone came to my door yesterday with a bunch of kids. They were looking for a pool party. There were about 10 of them.

Shoulda fucking shot them, someone tried to break into my house once, those bastards were asking for trouble.

Oh... wait, no, people that are breaking in usually don't knock on the door, say "yeah, i'm a salesman for x", then WALK AWAY TO LEAVE before you shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Oh... wait, no, people that are breaking in usually don't knock on the door, say "yeah, i'm a salesman for x", then WALK AWAY TO LEAVE before you shoot them.
    Do you know what casing is? This is why i dont trust salespeople, they see how many people are in your house and other details you dont want them knowing. The worst are those people who leave things on your doorknobs, only to come back in 6 days to rob the place because its still on your door and they know your out of town.

People here are so nieve its comical.

Btw can we stick to realistic exmaples?

Do you know what casing is? This is why i dont trust salespeople, they see how many people are in your house and other details you dont want them knowing. The worst are those people who leave things on your doorknobs, only to come back in 6 days to rob the place because its still on your door and they know your out of town.

Do you know they can do that without you seeing them? Or that people actually do have legit reasons for coming to your house that you may find annoying.

Either way, shooting someone that has clearly identified themselves AND is leaving, then coming back and shooting "for effect"... no. You're not in fear for your life, you're not "defending you're property". You're shooting someone because you can at that point, and this is coming from someone that's pro-gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    Do you know they can do that without you seeing them? Or that people actually do have legit reasons for coming to your house that you may find annoying.
    Come on man. If i have a no tresspassing/solicitation sign on my door they have no legit reasons for coming to my house. Setting up an appointment isnt the same thing, which is where i think your going with that example.

Come on man. If i have a no tresspassing/solicitation sign on my door they have no legit reasons for coming to my house. Setting up an appointment isnt the same thing, which is where i think your going with that example.
    If you have an electrician come to your house unannounced (it happens) would you shoot him for casing your house because he didn't have permission? What about a JW? Or a girl selling girl scout cookies? Public services like tree cutting for power lines? Delivery men?

The sign doesn't give you a licence to murder. It gives you the ability to prosecute if necessary. Just like having "beware of dog" doesn't mean that once they get on your property you can tell the dog to attack - all the sign does is let people know if that there IS a dog, so if they get bitten by intruding (and the bite wasn't prompted by you) you can say you warned them even if you weren't there. This is mostly for public workers and such.

Deleted
    Why is this 22 pages long? Some mentally challenged idiot shots a person for fun and is currently facing charges. People defending this guy are just as bad

10+ Year Old Account

Must suck to live in an area where you need to be that paranoid that just opening the door to let someone have a quick glimpse is asking to get robbed/mugged.

You should move to somewhere more civilized where opening the door to a talk to an unarmed salesman is safe.

Thank God I live in Canada. You hear about a shooting or some nut job shooting up a school etc seemingly every week. I hate the gun laws in the States. Yes, I agree it's great to be able to protect yourself, but at the same time, people abuse it beyond belief. It means any one can get a gun. Get in an argument, hey let's go grab a gun and threaten someone with it. I hate the gun laws and no one is going to change my my opinion of it. It's much safer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Aerimae View Post
    Please refrain from turning this into an American hate thread, this had nothing to do with the country itself, maybe the laws but not the country, and please do not stoop so low as to bringing up past massacres just to get back at someone in the thread.

This thread is derailing into nation bashing, lets keep this on the topic of the shooting and less on the topic of America, If this stays this way, I will either close this thread or contact a moderator- Thank you

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/2...QtV334E.reddit

"A man in Cape Coral, Florida on Wednesday was arrested for shooting and killing an unarmed door-to-door salesman on his property.

Kenneth Bailey Roop, 52, has been charged with second-degree murder for killing 30-year-old Nicholas Rainey.

A co-worker who witnessed the shooting said Rainey had knocked on Roop’s door, but received no answer. While Rainey was walking down the drive-way, Roop pulled up in his pickup truck and asked why Rainey was at his house. Rainey explained that he was selling steak and seafood. The witness said Roop then pulled out a black handgun and shot Rainey. As Rainey lay on the ground, Roop fired another bullet into the back of his head.

Roop later told police that he shot Rainey in the head “for effect” and that he had three no trespassing signs on his property. Roop said he feared for his life.

“I’m not going to give him the chance to do something to me,” he told police. “I was in fear.”

An off-duty Collier County sheriff’s deputy was nearby and heard the gunshots. When she arrived at Roop’s property, she found Rainey dying on the ground while Roop was in his garage reloading his handgun.

“He was telling the officer, ‘he stepped on my property, he trespassed, I’ll kill anybody that steps on my property,’ somewhere along them lines. It was just unbelievable,” one witness told the The News-Press. “She never flinched. She deserves a medal. I don’t think he was done [shooting].”

What do you think about this? did he have the right to shoot, in Florida you can kill someone if you think they'll kill you.

Please pay attention to the part stating "I feared for my life" BS! That man was walking away from the house when he shot him, and then shooting him in the head? Never has my face palm left a red mark on my face before this.
    So much grey in this case. Honestly I believe the guy will be at fault because there is self defense and there is murder. Yes he put 3 signs on his property stating no tresspasing however when the individual was shot and essentially diffuse with the exception of him being on the ground, self defense stops there. Walking up and firing what I believe is an execution shot turned it all into murder. The point of the gun was defense. Once the threat has been dropped you don't keep firing at it. You obviously stop the immediate threat and retreat to a safe location and contact authorities. People are getting self defense mixed up with murder in this case.
    Cheese. Its amazing. Until your feet smell like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post
    Must suck to live in an area where you need to be that paranoid that just opening the door to let someone have a quick glimpse is asking to get robbed/mugged.

You should move to somewhere more civilized where opening the door to a talk to an unarmed salesman is safe.
    Another nieve comment since people rob homes in the ghetto, not upper scale areas, LMAO.

When you leave the bubble you may not like what you see.

"If you have an electrician come to your house unannounced (it happens) "

No it doesnt. He calls or sends notification as to why he is coming over.

Girls scouts no longer go door to door unless the house it known as safe. They dont drop them off and have them hit houses like telemarketers.

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    It means that should I choose to ignore it that I willingly relinquish all rights to sue the owner when his dog attacks me or the owner himself shoots me.

And should the law actually try to argue that meaning with me ... well lets just say you wouldn't want to be one of the officers serving me an arrest warrant
    Dead wrong. Why do you think you get to just make up rules that don't exist at all in the real world?

Another nieve comment since people rob homes in the ghetto, not upper scale areas, LMAO.

When you leave the bubble you may not like what you see.

"If you have an electrician come to your house unannounced (it happens) "

No it doesnt. He calls or sends notification as to why he is coming over.

Girls scouts no longer go door to door unless the house it known as safe. They dont drop them off and have them hit houses like telemarketers.
    Sometimes they do call unexpected. If there's a fault in the street for example.

Personal responsibility, something people here have no grasp of.

With the amount of home invasions we have had lately in florida i dont want people coming up to my house either. Im sure someone on the other side of the world will link a blog proving me wrong...

You follow rules or suffer consequences, thats how it is as an adult.
    Great, so you agree that the guy that gunned someone down while under no threat should go to jail for life, taking the consequences of the law like an adult. I'm glad you finally get it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Methanar View Post

You sound so mind boggingly ignorant it's not funny. When was the last time you left the bubble, aka that basement in Canada? Real easy to say that living somewhere with nearly 10% of the population of the place you're bashing. 311 million vs 34 million? Which do you think will have more cases of the crazies? Not real hard to figure out that just by the numbers.

I mean, I've been to Canada, and not to bash it at all, but your big cities and the like are just as much shitholes like the ones in the US are. This post was irrelevant and made no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmatum View Post
    Sometimes they do call unexpected. If there's a fault in the street for example.
    Im not shooting anyone for calling my house, unless its that damn number that picks up used clothing for "insert sympathetic reason" only to resell it to fabric recyclers. Last scam i figured out.

"Great, so you agree that the guy that gunned someone down while under no threat should go to jail for life, taking the consequences of the law like an adult. I'm glad you finally get it!"

Something that may interest you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
    Last edited by chadwix; 2012-07-28 at 08:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just wondering how anybody in the US is ever going to receive their mail if the postmen have to fear getting killed when they set foot into your yard...

I simply find all the craziness about weapons in the US a tad bit strange. But I guess it has to appear weird to a European. I'd call people crazy if they told me "Hey, I have this gun and that rifle at my house." Seriously... That something like that is normal in the US is one of the reasons why I don't particularly feel the need to go on holiday there.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    I'm just wondering how anybody in the US is ever going to receive their mail if the postmen have to fear getting killed when they set foot into your yard...

I simply find all the craziness about weapons in the US a tad bit strange. But I guess it has to appear weird to a European. I'd call people crazy if they told me "Hey, I have this gun and that rifle at my house." Seriously... That something like that is normal in the US is one of the reasons why I don't particularly feel the need to go on holiday there.
    *shrug* We have a rifle hanging in our office. It's my dad's and was given to him by his dad, hasn't been fired in 10 years at a minimum (probably more like 20-30) I'd guess. But then, he has the office in a "western" theme so a shot gun kinda fits. It's not loaded, though I think there's ammo beneath the bed or somewhere in their room.

Honestly, people seeing that doesn't freak them out... when I say I have four swords (one from WWII) DOES. Dunno why, as most of them are replica/ entirely decorations and couldn't cut paper. But people have an irrational fear of swords over guns for some reason. The knives don't even freak people out, though those are mostly all usable - swords freak people out, knives and guns don't o.O

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    If you own the land, and have it clearly stated that there are no trespasses allowed, you can pretty much do anything you want if someone breaks those rules. That's why he has the "NO TRESPASSING" signs.
    Obviously you are wrong considering he has been charged with second degree murder.

Quote Originally Posted by Seriss View Post
    Seriously... That something like that is normal in the US is one of the reasons why I don't particularly feel the need to go on holiday there.
    I wouldn't consider occasional anecdotal weirdness a very good reason to not visit the US. I'd bet that your chances of being the victim of violent crime while visiting here is about the same as in other countries. The bulk of violent crime is people that know each other, not things like what's being discussed in this thread. Your chances of being gunned down in Times Square or at the Smithsonian is something approaching zero.

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 04:16 PM ----------

Something that may interest you http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine
    Something from your own link that would interest you if you gave a shit about being factually correct:

Typically deadly force is considered justified, and a defense of justifiable homicide applicable, in cases "when the actor reasonably fears imminent peril of death or serious bodily harm to himself or another".

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    If you own the land, and have it clearly stated that there are no trespasses allowed, you can pretty much do anything you want if someone breaks those rules. That's why he has the "NO TRESPASSING" signs.
    Actually have a look at this link:

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/trespass

"For example, a mail carrier has a privilege to walk up the sidewalk at a private home but is not entitled to go through the front door"

So no despite the tresspass signs the sales man still has a right to walk up his path as long as he did not enter the residence etc

personally I think the guy doesn't have a leg to stand on legally and should be thrown in prison for attempted murder or worse.
    Science has made us gods even before we are worthy of being men: Jean Rostand. Yeah, Atheism is a religion like bald is a hair colour!.
    Classic: "The tank is the driver, the healer is the fuel, and the DPS are the kids sitting in the back seat screaming and asking if they're there yet."
    Irony >> "do they even realize that having a state religion IS THE REASON WE LEFT BRITTEN? god these people are idiots"