Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Hell, he ain't a white Texan riding a giant fried chicken wing rodeo bull with a cowboy jacket with about 40 brand names on it, and that's a god damn start.
    "bigotry is bad!"
    "those damn stupid Texan rednecks not good for anything, especially the presidency!"

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    What utter crap. Whiteknighting is what bottomfeeding pond scum do when they are pretending that women are all delicate flowers who must be protected at all costs in the hopes of sexual favors in return (because let's face it, they have no other hope). The fact that you'd try and use "beta" in this conversation speaks volumes about the kind of person you are.[COLOR="red"]

I've used a female name on several toons. Never had the whispers you claim you've had.

Sensationalism does nothing to help the problem.[COLOR="red"]

A virgin who can't get laid is assumed to not be manly. Tesla had all the bitches after him, maybe you should read a book. So... irrelevant.[COLOR="red"]

Starting to troll? You can't possibly be serious here? You are in no way going to stop people from starting to troll.

I hope for your sake you are still a teenager, because if not, you are in for a very nasty shock.[COLOR="red"]

It's only as rampant as you let it be. The largest part of the problem is that 90% of this crap happens to attention whores, who in the end - deserve to get trolled.

"Oh I'm a girl, tee hee." Yeah, that's great cupcake, get back in the kitchen.
    Name: So you haven't, doesn't mean are the golden rule. The fact is, you are very likely to get those whispers, or equivalent in other channels.

Is it sensationalism, or just the truth people are so hesitant to accept because they're so used to it, they don't remember the difference?

Why is a persons's virginity relevant? Not sure why people keep bringing it up, or Tesla. But regardless, you are right. Socially/anthropologically, that's usually how it is in most cultures.

We won't stop trolling, but perhaps we can stop having our games literally FLOODED with the bigotry associated with it. At the very least, even if you do not agree with the large part/initiative/intent, you could at least concede that it is too much, and game communities are being ruined by it. There's not a game I've been on lately that isn't almost practically overrun chat-wise. Of course, I don't play EVERY game, either. You could also concede that at least chat would be better. Remember the joke about old Barrens? It exists for a reason, and now it isn't just the other areas, but major cities in WoW. Of course, it should be noted that dying severs generally do not exhibit this, IMO. I usually only see it on the more populated ones.

And it is rampant, regardless if I want it to be or not. It happens more to everyone else than your "90% attention whore". And even then, a lot of women are being called attention whores JUST by being women on the internet. So even if in a crazy, unrealistic world 90% was accurate and true, how much of that 90% is actually filled with attention whores? 10%? 5%? Did you ever think, too, that maybe girls are just generally nice and that may be misconstrued as being an attention whore?

"I'm a guy, and you deserve to be in the kitchen". And you deserve to be castrated because every guy is a sexist and cheater. (Hopefully I am not infracted for making this non-directed joke...)

I do want to also emphasis, along with a couple others who tried to make this distinction, that it's not about trolling, though a type of trolling is associated and should be included; this is about bigotry.

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
    Oh good LORD. Stop posting a comic as if it's something profound and meaningful. If anything, you shoot your own argument in the foot with it.

I'm not responsible for people letting themselves be trolled, and neither are you. And yes, this is about trolling, considering THAT'S ALL YOU CAN DO OVER THE INTERNET AND THIS THREAD IS ABOUT MMOS. If no one responds to a troll... then what negative is there? How is acting like a dick to these people going to solve anything? You're going to make them dig their heels in and try harder.

This is not complicated, just ignore them. You can't protect the idiots who let themselves be affected by WORDS from an ANONYMOUS stranger over the INTERNET.

Or am I just feeding a troll?

The comic wasn't profound or inherently meaningful. I think they were trying to state a point through a medium that is easier for people to understand. Trolls will be trolls, with a name/identity, or without one.

And no, you're not responsible for bringing it on themselves. No one claimed you were. However, you are wrong - there are millions, if not billions, of things you can do online, all of which include NO trolling whatsoever. I don't see in what realistic way you came to that conclusion. That is one of the many reasons why people who try to separate IRL and the internet are sorely mistaken. We are still people behind the computer. Everything is real life, nothing is fictitious, a separate dimension, an illusion, fake, etc. I don't know what reality and logic people who make that claim subscribe to. Perhaps their just delusional.

Also, no one is acting like a dick by telling people to stop being dicks and grow up. No one wants to stop trolling. We almost all generally troll. Jokes we made in before the internet can be considered trolling. Back then, it was different. Or so it feels. We still do the same fun things. But there is a difference between the types of trolling/being a dick/bigot than the overall trolling being referred to. I want to limit the former from games. People say saying gender is irrelevant to gaming, even though that's a completely ignorant (as in lack of logic/rationale) and incorrect statement. Trolling is irrelevant to gaming. Why do we need them in it? Gender is very relevant as it is a gaming community, you build relationships with people in an MMO.

Just now in vent, people were saying someone in GW2 said a sentence in chat, and then chatters went crazy, and he (the sentence guy) didn't speak after that, yet chatters were arguing amidst themselves and yelling, blaming and insulting others, etc. All of them were attacking eachother about the sentence, instead of the one who said that. That's funny, that's hilarious. That's not what we're talking about when we want to get rid of bigots/trolls. And let me be even more clear and clarify more: We don't want those people in our games. They can do it anywhere else they want on the internet where it is permitted, like 4chan, etc. But GTFO our games (seeing as this is, as you say, a forum about MMOs).

And it isn't about protecting others, but getting rid of something unwanted. Or at least to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Still don't think people understand how trolls work.

It's like Freddy Krueger in the first movie...if people paid attention to him, he killed them. But when the girl just ignored him, he went away!

If you start encouraging large numbers of people to react whenever a troll does something you're doing EXACTLY WHAT THE TROLL WANTS. Hell, look up the defintion of trolling...it's to get a reaction. You don't get rid of ants by putting honey on your floor and you don't get rid of trolls by giving them more reactions.

Don't like trolls? Stop feeding them. There's a reason that phrase caught on, and it's because it works.
    I disagree, there's responding to trolls, and there's reacting to trolls.

Let say Trollenstein posts something mean and hurtful in chat.
    Responding to them would be something like "dude, not cool." And then reporting them. It isn't so much to show the troll that it's wrong, but that members of the community think it's wrong.
    Reacting to the troll would be "Holy %^#$^% dude what the ^%$% is wrong with you? My mother was a ___________ and that is incredibly offensive!" That shows the troll and members of the community that he got you.

The key in in controlling the way in which you address a troll. Demonstrate that you haven't lost your cool, show the community that it's not acceptable, report them, and move on.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    THIS THREAD HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH FIGHTING AGAINST TROLLS!

It's about fighting against BIGOTRY, which is not the same thing.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is most of the time. Trolls are lazy, and looking at this thread, it seems that bigotry is the most effective way to troll a large amount of people.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Enosh View Post
    "bigotry is bad!"
    "those damn stupid Texan rednecks not good for anything, especially the presidency!"
    I was trying to think of the most obscenely stereotypical american republican candidate I could

You have failed to interpret it as intended.

---------- Post added 2012-09-08 at 10:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but it is most of the time. Trolls are lazy, and looking at this thread, it seems that bigotry is the most effective way to troll a large amount of people.
    Difference between trolls and bigots:

Trolls say something ridiculous and outlandishly illogical while knowing damn well what they're saying just to spark a reaction they find funny.

Bigots genuinely believe that other people are inferior and spout bullshit without realising how stupid they are.

Saying something stupid, getting a hostile reaction and saying 'LOL I TROLL YOU' is not trolling, it's a way for a loser who has been beat away from an argument to try to justify their shit beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Woah, woah, lots of guys like to cook, so it's not sexist! Just like the girl that gave me the sports analogy said it wasn't sexist because lots of women like sports, right?!? =D
    That's confusing. Where did you get anything about a guy and cooking? lol I said I was a girl, while jokingly raging at someone who say something like "Hey guys". He obviously wasn't meaning anything about a sex, but he was talking about me acting serious on the internet, lol. So I jokingly yelled I am a girl. Then I said what someone said jokingly, and gave my own with "you're a guy and need to be castrated" because every guy is sexist and a cheater. Obviously neither are true.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hjalmtyr View Post
    Difference between trolls and bigots:

Trolls say something ridiculous and outlandishly illogical while knowing damn well what they're saying just to spark a reaction they find funny.

Bigots genuinely believe that other people are inferior and spout bullshit without realising how stupid they are.

Saying something stupid, getting a hostile reaction and saying 'LOL I TROLL YOU' is not trolling, it's a way for a loser who has been beat away from an argument to try to justify their shit beliefs.
    And yet, most people who say "lol go back to the kitchen xoxo" are more likely to be self-claimed "Trolls" (but we all know that trolling is a art) than being real bigots.

We're living in a time were Reddit and 9gag teach users that it's fine to rage, that trolling is cool and it's completely normal to curse at each other. These pages becoming more and more popular doesn't really help the issue.
    Last edited by mmocc2f63cde0d; 2012-09-09 at 12:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    And yet, most people who say "lol go back to the kitchen xoxo" are more likely to be self-claimed "Trolls" (but we all know that trolling is a art) than being real bigots.

We're living in a time were Reddit and 9gag teach users that it's fine to rage, that trolling is cool and it's completely normal to curse at each other. These pages becoming more and more popular doesn't really help the issue.
    The problem is that people confuse trolling and actual bigotry.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 01:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I don't want to "kill" 4chan. I want to get people who enjoy the kind of interactions you can find in 4chan, to stay there... and only there. And never be accepted or tolerated anywhere else. You can't ever fully "kill" people like this, and stop that kind of behavior, but you can minimize how many people do it, and how popular it actually is, by creating communities where they aren't welcome.
    4Chan is not the only place trolling comes from. It's not even the place it originated from.

---------- Post added 2012-09-09 at 01:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by FrenchieKDC View Post
    However, you are wrong - there are millions, if not billions, of things you can do online, all of which include NO trolling whatsoever. I don't see in what realistic way you came to that conclusion.
    I apologize, I can see how what I said might be unclear. I'm saying if you want to harass someone over the internet, via an MMO (the point of this thread), all you can do is troll them, not that the only thing you can do on the internet is trolling.
    Last edited by Snuffleupagus; 2012-09-09 at 01:00 AM. Reason: I R SPEL GUD
    I may pay my subscription every month, but I don't lose sight of the fact that the other 4/9/24/39 people I'm grouped with pay too.