10+ Year Old Account

The Ele Conundrum: Mastery or Haste?

Alright, so I just picked up the 503 caster dagger from elite protectors, and was chatting with another ele who I'm friends with about gearing. He's recently switched to mastery gearing, and he ranks consistently with it. So I went ahead and simmed my gear and, sure enough, mastery comes out ahead.

The thing is, I'm currently using Primal Elementalist with my haste build. I find it to be very forgiving rotationally, and since mastery doesn't affect either of the elementals, haste is a no-brainer. With mastery, I would be using Elemental Blast. I used EB initially when I hit 90, so I do know how to weave it in my rotation, but it's never a particularly clean affair. You're bound to lose out on some damage due to human error in spell selection.

So I went ahead and did a DPS check with lust, flask, 300 int food, and pre-potting, running around 7 minute fight (3 ascendance and 2 eles) on the training dummy. With the haste build and PE, I did about 77k over the course of the fight. With the mastery build and EB, I did about 80k over the course of the fight. What I'm really curious about is whether that 3k is going to be worth it (or even existant) in a real-time fight. It seems like the drop in mobility due to EB might actually be a hindrance, especially on higher movement fights. But I also know I'm throwing away free damage periodically when I get haste capped by any two haste buffs being active at once (sha trinket, hero, etc., though this is less of an issue now that I've upgraded to jade spirit instead of windsong).

What is everyone else doing? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Armory/logs if needed:
    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/us/Exodar/Vanasex/
    Last edited by Eruionmel; 2012-11-28 at 06:33 PM.

| PM Signature Requests: Closed | My Work | Signature Tutorial |

i switch between EB and PE depending on if I have to move a lot (Garalon kiting) or if I have to kill something really fast (Elegon orbs).
    mastery and haste is balanced (SIMC shows int > master = haste > crit) which is a benefit IMO when switching between EB and PE often
    however I do normal mode only so I have no idea if this is still valid for hard modes

also mastery and EB are more RNG where haste and PE is not

10+ Year Old Account
    So maybe the best thing to do is to stick with haste priority (I'm over 2k higher on mastery anyway because of shaman mastery buff) and switch between PE and EB depending on the fight?

Quote Originally Posted by Eruionmel View Post
    and switch between PE and EB depending on the fight?
    That's what are supposed do, altough EB wins on most Fights in my book.

The only fight where PE was seriously better is Mel'jarak Hc, PE hits like Truck with he got the 600% Dmg debuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    That's what are supposed do, altough EB wins on most Fights in my book.

The only fight where PE was seriously better is Mel'jarak Hc, PE hits like Truck with he got the 600% Dmg debuff.
    Even with the mobility issue? It just seems like I spend a lot of fights moving often, and I dislike using SWG outside of ascendance, since having to move during and ascendance without it is extremely painful. I was moving constantly on our H windlord kill last night (except during the final phase, I guess), and we're doing attempts on H spirit kings tonight and I can't see using EB there at all. :\