Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Why no competitive gaming on mainstream TV networks?

Take Call of Duty for example. I personally don't play it, but I'm aware of it's popularity. It seems that having tournament / clan vs clan kind of gameplay would garner a lot more revenue then say, golf or tennis.

Or what about League of Legends, the most popular game in the world (I think over 65 million unique accounts)? Do TV executives have a blind-eye towards gaming because of it's "childish" or "immature" stigma? Considering the amount of people in the world who enjoy video games, I feel like it's a missed opportunity from a business stand-point.

I don't have much (if any) sources to back up most of my claims, and most of this is also my opinionated observations.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly the general target audience wouldn't watch it on mainstream TV, and networks know that.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Because sports like Starcraft and other video games are not main stream to get enough viewers. TV is a business just like the same reason they don't normaly show many of the olympic sports any other time because they are minority sports. That would not get that much viewership and thus advertizing money.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    While games are popular, they don't bring ratings on TV as well as other shows. When they do they'll be shown, it's not an oversight on the part of channel owners, it's simply not there yet.

I've found several fairly popular hobbies that get almost no tv coverage ( paintball, Rc racing) and its a shame. The gear you have for these hobbies is a huge part of the experience so they'd even be good for marketing products to the right audience, just need a big company like traxxas to get it going.
    Last edited by makarrov; 2013-01-04 at 09:18 PM. Reason: Adding content.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe because it's much more accessible and enjoyable to do it yourself, than watch others.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Because gamers usually know how to use the internet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Because sports like Starcraft and other video games are not main stream to get enough viewers.
    Now I did understand this, it makes sense that it wouldn't be that profitable for a TV company until........... I was back at my parents over xmas/new year and while flicking through the channels I found a TV station showing streamed games of online poker with running commentary. Like the kind where you make a character and sit at a table to play poker. The worst part was, the total pots were only like £100, it literally was just some randoms playing a game of poker with guys casting it.

If this is enough to get on TV then I have no idea why Starcraft or other E-sports cannot get cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    Maybe because it's much more accessible and enjoyable to do it yourself, than watch others.

Personally I enjoy watching others almost as much as participating, even when it comes to gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakazam View Post
    Now I did understand this, it makes sense that it wouldn't be that profitable for a TV company until........... I was back at my parents over xmas/new year and while flicking through the channels I found a TV station showing streamed games of online poker with running commentary. Like the kind where you make a character and sit at a table to play poker. The worst part was, the total pots were only like £100, it literally was just some randoms playing a game of poker with guys casting it.

If this is enough to get on TV then I have no idea why Starcraft or other E-sports cannot get cast.
    Kinda depends LoL was on CBS for some big tournament I know a while back i dont remember which one i didnt watch it but the difference is Poker has precidence at least in the US for being on TV already where things like SC don't yet.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Julian View Post
    Take Call of Duty for example. I personally don't play it, but I'm aware of it's popularity. It seems that having tournament / clan vs clan kind of gameplay would garner a lot more revenue then say, golf or tennis.
    I could maybe see eSports being shown on backwater channels (think: G4TV).

People that may not play golf or tennis will still tune in, especially during the finals...just to see who wins. Also, to most people, impressive feats on the golf course or tennis court are easily identified. The average TV watcher in the U.S. would have no fucking clue what was going on in a professional Esport match...regardless of the game.

Also, aside from the obvious (Intel, nVidia, Razer, etc), no companies would want to advertise during such an event. Gamers aren't exactly known to be of the wealthy type. You always see expensive cars, watches, and other high-society type ads on golf and tennis programs.

The other issue is professionalism. Golf and tennis players must conduct themselves in a certain manner (save McEnroe type antics) which gives the sport a good image. The last League of Legends event I watched on stream, Dyrus (top laner for TSM) was holding a fucking pink pillow and throwing shit into the crowd. Until Esports demands that "professional" sort of aura from EVERYONE involved, it will never make it to TV.

Poker is another whole animal. The reason why ESPN covers WSOP events is because they're able to edit out most of the boring (to the average viewer) hands and show crazy bluffs, impossible calls, and big-pot showdowns. Additionally, the simple fact that the players are gambling for multi-million dollar prize pools is enough to draw in non-players. There are SO many people out there that have played Texas Hold'Em once or twice at a social gathering...being able to see high level play is very alluring.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-01-04 at 09:34 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geez if they can put golf on tv i cant see why they cant have a dedicated video game channel.
    I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is back on the scene! I'm gonna let 'em know that Dolemite is my name, and fuckin' up motherfuckers is my game!

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post

People that may not play golf or tennis will still tune in, especially during the finals...just to see who wins. Also, to most people, impressive feats on the golf course or tennis court are easily identified. The average TV watcher in the U.S. would have no fucking clue what was going on in a professional Esport match...regardless of the game.

Also, aside from the obvious (Intel, nVidia, Razer, etc), no companies would want to advertise during such an event. Gamers aren't exactly known to be of the wealthy type. You always see expensive cars, watches, and other high-society type ads on golf and tennis programs.

The other issue is professionalism. Golf and tennis players must conduct themselves in a certain manner (save McEnroe type antics) which gives the sport a good image. The last League of Legends event I watched on stream, Dyrus (top laner for TSM) was holding a fucking pink pillow and throwing shit into the crowd. Until Esports demands that "professional" sort of aura from EVERYONE involved, it will never make it to TV.
    have you ever seen a gridiron game?
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Deleted
    Kinda depends LoL was on CBS for some big tournament I know a while back i dont remember which one i didnt watch it but the difference is Poker has precidence at least in the US for being on TV already where things like SC don't yet.
    Although poker has a presence at high end of TV this was more of a comparison with people going for a game of football in their local park with a TV crew and commentators.

Personally I think Call of Duty would make an awful tv show.

For one thing videos games aren't as fun to watch. Plus there is an imbalance in some games. For Soccer as an example, both teams have the same amount of players and the same court, everything is fair. With wow all the talk would be over which class is OP, much like pvp is now. For Call of Duty people would be saying its who can point and click each other the fastest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Things like League of Legends get displayed on TV in Korea but the demographic there suits that extremely well. In America, and other places the general population would rather watch something they're easily included in, and easy to watch, like Tennis, Golf, or Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post

The people watching these matches would be gamers though. For example, while I don't play CoD, I love watching youtube videos of good game play because I can understand first person shooters. Anyone that enjoys MOBA style games could watch LoL also.

For me, I recently started watching professional hockey on TV. I've never played in my life and I don't know wtf is going on, but after watching it a few times with my ex fiance, it really got me intrigued and hooked. Just because people don't know or understand concepts now doesn't mean that they are barred from an enjoying experience.

As far as commercials go, load it up with Doritos, Mt, dew, toilet paper, computer peripherals, and even toyota/honda commercials. Most gamers I think are in their 30's and 40's and actually -do- have money. Most of these commercials would be for items that most americans consider "needs" or "wants", whether they game or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    have you ever seen a gridiron game?
    I'll assume you're talking about NFL football.

Yes, of course. The NFL is the largest (money wise) sport in the U.S...BY FAR. They can basically do whatever they want and will still be on the big networks.

They did air the Dreamhack SC2 tournament on the biggest TV channel in Sweden. I guess they notice more and more people watch E-sports on the internet.
    I don't have figures, but I'd be willing to bet my right nut that the % of the population of Sweden that play video games is WAY higher than the U.S.

Sweden definitely has a more prevalent "gaming culture."

The people watching these matches would be gamers though. For example, while I don't play CoD, I love watching youtube videos of good game play because I can understand first person shooters. Anyone that enjoys MOBA style games could watch LoL also.

For me, I recently started watching professional hockey on TV. I've never played in my life and I don't know wtf is going on, but after watching it a few times with my ex fiance, it really got me intrigued and hooked. Just because people don't know or understand concepts now doesn't mean that they are barred from an enjoying experience.

As far as commercials go, load it up with Doritos, Mt, dew, toilet paper, computer peripherals, and even toyota/honda commercials. Most gamers I think are in their 30's and 40's and actually -do- have money. Most of these commercials would be for items that most americans consider "needs" or "wants", whether they game or not.
    Great post. I also enjoy watching pro gaming videos of ANY type. I'm a gamer at heart...even if I've never played the game before...its still entertaining.

Props to giving hockey a try. It's too bad we're without the NHL right now. I'm a lifelong hockey fan that is super-bummed right now. I have turned about a dozen people from not knowing a thing about hockey into hardcore fans.

You're right...there are a lot of companies that could advertise during Esport TV events.

Overall, I think its an image issue for any networks thinking about it. There has to be some level of professionalism. Look what happened during Riot's Season 2 Finals...accusations of cheating, servers going down (CLG.eu's match was delayed for hours and hours, Riot bought all the fans pizza to make them happy). The participants themselves would have to all follow some sort of behavior guidelines.

Its getting there...and its a lot closer than it was five years ago. Someone (or some company) needs to take the risk and put the money up to get it done. Obviously, some risk analysis folks are black-flagging the idea.
    Last edited by Toxigen; 2013-01-04 at 09:47 PM.
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

Deleted
    Starcraft 2 from Dreamhack has gotten some coverage on SVT, the Swedish national television that is non-profit and funded by the state.

As awesome as he is, the FCC would never let an unedited Day[9] cast go live unless it was after 11pm.