Purchasing Used Computer, Need Some Advise

I'm in the process of purchasing a used computer, the only use for the setup will be a "Media Center" and I may play some Warcraft on it. I will have it setup to my 55inch LG LED tv.

The computer I'm looking at is a Dell Studio XPS 435mt, here are the specs:
    Processor: Intel Core i7 920 processor (8MB L3 Cache, 2.66GHz)
    Memory: 12 GB Tri-channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066 MHz- 6 DIMMs
    64-bit operating system
    Hard drive: 1 TB - 7200 RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB cache storage
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 220, 1024MB
    Optical drives: Single drive: Blu-ray disc (BD) combo
    Sound Card: Integrated 7.1 channel audio
    Windows Vista Home premium edition

I have the opportunity to purchase this for $500, is this a reasonable deal or would I be better off just purchasing something new for say $500 - $700?

Deleted
    hell no, you can build a better new budget build for that price.
    $250 is what i'd pay tops, gpu is very old and cpu is from a 4 generations ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    hell no, you can build a better new budget build for that price.
    $250 is what i'd pay tops, gpu is very old and cpu is from a 4 generations ago.
    I had a feeling this was going to be the answer I was going to get haha.

Would you recommend purchasing parts off of newegg? I've never built my own computer before, although I have some experience swapping parts before. I would be willing to give it a try.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsfunctional View Post
    I had a feeling this was going to be the answer I was going to get haha.

Would you recommend purchasing parts off of newegg? I've never built my own computer before, although I have some experience swapping parts before. I would be willing to give it a try.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds
    no personal experience with newegg since they don't operate in the EU but so far i always hear very good things of them around these forums.
    think of the building process as lego on steroids , it has become quite simplified.

also be glad you asked else you got an outdated system for quite a chunk of money.
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2013-01-10 at 02:57 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    shroudster is pretty legit, I think the options they are giving are EXACTLY what I would do as well (JUST IMO).

Cheers!

-Dac

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Sample-Builds
    no personal experience with newegg since they don't operate in the EU but so far i always hear very good things of them around these forums.
    think of the building process as lego on steroids , it has become quite simplified.
    I loved Lego as a child - think you have just influenced me to build it myself. Thanks

---------- Post added 2013-01-10 at 11:45 AM ----------

Quick additional questions as I'm going to start doing some research into parts, etc..

Since I will be playing on a 55inch, would the GeForce GTX 660 Ti support all my needs in 1080p? Although I won't probably play any games other than Warcraft, now that I will have a setup that can support more I may experiment with other games and try to move away from the Xbox.