Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'm going to play it regardless of whether it's a WoW killer or not. Personally I like both games but I hope TES Online takes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The figures released for MOP first week sales included sales from all sources.

The lose of subs was not attributed to Asian bans. The quarter in which Rift was released they attributed the loss of subs due to players consuming content at a faster rate than expected.
    The quarter of 600k were associated with Asian market bans, this was the Q1 2011, Rift came out at the end of Q1. The next quarter, where you would have seen losses to rift were only 300k.

There will be none to speak off.

It doesn't matter if TESO will be a wow-killer or not, and it doesn't matter if it becomes popular or not. Wow will remain unaffected.

Personally, as much as I love The Elder Scrolls (you're looking at one of the biggest fangirls of that franchise right here) I don't think TESO will work out. A lot of the stuff that makes TES a fun game, HAS to be sacrificed in order to make it an MMO. Its the same reason why while SWTOR could had been an award-winning game if it was a single-player RPG with Co-op mode, it was an utter failure as an MMO.

I mean really, look at GW2, everyone was speaking about how it was gonna affect wow. Some going as far as saying it would kill it, others being more realistic in saying it would draw players from it. And while GW2 IS a successful game, and did well in the market (even winning several awards) look at wow. Completely unaffected.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    It's going to have about the same affect that Warhammer/Rift/Swtor/GW2 did on WoW.

Hint: nothing.
    It's incredibly naive to think that
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    It's incredibly naive to think that
    I think the same as the poster you quoted, but don't misunderstand; i'm quite happy to be proven wrong. In fact, that's something i've wanted for a long time. The sooner WoW ceases to have a hold on its generally unchanging monopoly, the sooner both it and the game that unseats it, become better all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Derah View Post
    There will be none to speak off.

It doesn't matter if TESO will be a wow-killer or not, and it doesn't matter if it becomes popular or not. Wow will remain unaffected.

Personally, as much as I love The Elder Scrolls (you're looking at one of the biggest fangirls of that franchise right here) I don't think TESO will work out. A lot of the stuff that makes TES a fun game, HAS to be sacrificed in order to make it an MMO. Its the same reason why while SWTOR could had been an award-winning game if it was a single-player RPG with Co-op mode, it was an utter failure as an MMO.

I mean really, look at GW2, everyone was speaking about how it was gonna affect wow. Some going as far as saying it would kill it, others being more realistic in saying it would draw players from it. And while GW2 IS a successful game, and did well in the market (even winning several awards) look at wow. Completely unaffected.
    Yeah I feel the same. They will have to have some major bad ass ideas going for them to make it work in the long term, but I fear the biggest dissapointment will be when people realize this is not the same as the normal TES franchises. While the world seems to have a realistic touch graphics wise like skyrim, the player characters are quire cartoony, almost cellshaded. The gameplay will be completly diffrent, meaning it will be most likly mmo hotkey bs and when I think about the interview angy joe did at pax (?) I can't help but remember that one of the devs main argument regarding the combat system was "... and you can block" and that in every 2nd sentence. It's also not you becoming the arch mage/listener/dovahkin/Head of the Companions or something like that its you beeing another pseudo hero that gets only recognized in the questline you are currently in. While the same is true for Skyrim as well thanks to the borked up conversation system of the guards its still an entirely diffrent manner when you are thrown in the rp-emersion void that is created by mmos like in WoW compared to a single player game.

I hope the franchise doesn't suffer too much from it after the colossal success Skyrim was.

Edit: My post counter tells me i should play a bit more dmc i guess.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2013-01-28 at 01:55 PM.

could you just stop using shotcuts for everything?
    I really wanted to take part in the discussion but as nonne stated what TES actually means i cant.

Thanks Derah for clarification!

Deleted
    I think that WoW won't have to adapt at all. Lets face it TES: Online is just going to be guild wars but with a better story.
    It's set just after the Akavir Potentate wee assassinated, at least i think it is. So personally I will love seeing how Tamriel will be during that time frame.
    The game also seems really fun to just pop on with friends and just adventure.

However none of that means that it will effect WoW in anyway other than idiots who think that WoW needs to be an action mmo leaving. It's essentially Skyrim multiplayer, and as long as they provide good quality content I'll play it, but WoW provides a VERY different experience so we can't really predict changes or the effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefhamer View Post
    The quarter of 600k were associated with Asian market bans, this was the Q1 2011, Rift came out at the end of Q1. The next quarter, where you would have seen losses to rift were only 300k.
    There was never any losses associated with bans, post Cata launch in China they were keen to stress that most the losses each quarter were due to WOW China but never was there any mention of bans.

10+ Year Old Account
    The average forum-goer will read the title, assume you are suggesting it will crush WoW, then go on a hormone-induced, childlike rampage in efforts to thwart you and make them self feel better.

Anyway, WoW is already trying to adapt as it stands from its own playerbase getting bored and sick of the same old, same old, so I think the real question is what TESO is going to have to do to freshen up the market yet still have the appeal to draw in and keep millions of players.

Now, theoretically, if TESO takes off and starts drawing in WoW's population in droves, then Blizzard will pretty much have to succumb to crying player demands. Easier normal content, harder hard content, slashing of dailies and rep grinds, easier gold accumulation and acquirement of titles/prestige mounts, (even) faster leveling, etc etc.

And while Bethesda and ZeniMax are corporate giants in the gaming world with tons of money and resources to throw at this game to make it good, most people have learned that it's not always the big dogs who make the best games.

Personally, I think the Secret World SHOULD be the biggest MMO out today and Rift a close second, but just because the game is good, doesn't mean it's going to be popular. TESO would have to be extremely good and appeal to hardcores, casuals, and all in between to actually drag people away from an 8 year old account with friends, guilds, achievements, and mounts/gold/goodies.

It looks interesting. I'd like to give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    <long list of TESO and WoW differences>
    Hum, yes. The best way for Blizzard to react to this is to just plain ignore it. It's a completely different game aimed at a different kind of person.

I'd debate the existence of a purely "good" faction, but that's not important.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    Since you're all evidently inept, I'm not claiming TES: Online will be a WoW killer. I'm asking how WoW would have to evolve should it take off. Jesus, people.

I've been following TES: Online more and more here recently, and as excited as I am for it, I am concerned about WoW. I'm not saying that it's going to be a WoW killer, not by any stretch of the imagination, but if its model of gameplay takes off and becomes a popular thing (in regards to combat, questing, and the like), how would WoW have to adapt in order to remain king?
    I don't think ESO is different enough from WoW to warrant a serious threat or that WoW will have to change to compete with it. That said, I'm interested in EOS and I've applied to the beta testing. Can't hurt to try it, and help the development.

Why even make this thread on a WoW forum, you're not going to get anything good from it and you just make TESO seem shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I hope the franchise doesn't suffer too much from it after the colossal success Skyrim was.
    This right here is my biggest fear. Elder Scrolls is one of my most beloved franchises, and it is so because its SINGLE-PLAYER. Regardless of how TESO fares, I sincerely hope it does not affects the Elder Scrolls Single Player branch like so many other MMOs have done.

World of Warcraft more or less killed any and all hopes of ever having a warcraft 4. Its just never gonna happen. Ever. Warcraft as an RTS franchise is dead. Its MMO or nothing.

And Star Wars: The Old Republic, utterly ANIHILATED any hopes of ever having KOTOR 3. The franchise is now, for good or ill, an MMO, and that's the way its gonna stay.

The Elder Scrolls Online, may actually be different, because unlike WoW and SWTOR, TESO does NOT takes place after Skyrim, it takes place about 3000 years before the first Elder Scroll. So there's A FUCKTON of years and lore to feed the MMO machine, while the singleplayer plot remains unaffected. I'm hoping it remains so. To see the Elder Scrolls singleplayer die off due to an MMO (Regardless of said MMO's success, cuz this could happen even if TESO is a smashing hit. In fact, its more likely to happen if TESO is a smashing hit) would be incredibly depressing for me.

Por que odiar si amar es mas dulce? (*^_^*)

10+ Year Old Account
    A lot of my friends are pretty interested in it. Hopefully there is something uber-cool that WoW can steal from it and implement.
    I wish TES:Online the best of luck, of course! Hopefully they take the time to work out as many bugs as possible.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping after all the crap and hype involving SWTOR, people would finally let go of the term 'WoW killer'.

I am looking forward to this game, but to hype it up is foolish.

To answer your question though, it won't effect WoW at all, if it does bring some new ideas to the table, WoW may inherit them. If it turns out to be the MMO everyone has been craving, then yay for all. Just don't hype it up for yourself, you will only get disappointment.
    Last edited by Tekkommo; 2013-01-28 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rheckameohs View Post
    Since you're all evidently inept, I'm not claiming TES: Online will be a WoW killer. I'm asking how WoW would have to evolve should it take off. Jesus, people.

I've been following TES: Online more and more here recently, and as excited as I am for it, I am concerned about WoW. I'm not saying that it's going to be a WoW killer, not by any stretch of the imagination, but if its model of gameplay takes off and becomes a popular thing (in regards to combat, questing, and the like), how would WoW have to adapt in order to remain king?
    If TESO takes off, and that a big "if", I'd imagine Blizzard wouldn't have to change much (if anything at all) if you're just going with those few "likenesses". As much as I would love to see some competitiveness out of Blizzard and another Developer, I just don't think it will happen, simply because of the foothold Blizzard has on the genre. I do think, though, if the MMO community will give the game (any game for that matter) a chance, and not expect a game like WoW, it has potential to be an amazing game... but it all depends on the support the game receives from the players. When players expect a game like WoW, and see its not, well.. you get the replies you got in this thread.

I have no doubt the game will be successful, even though Bethesda isn't the developer, I'm looking forward to it but I'm skeptical as how they're going to implement ES into an MMO. We'll see when beta starts I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    What features will TES have that WOW could emulate?

"Humility defeats pride, Master Yang has preached. Pride defeats man"

Deleted
    I was soo excited. You can't believe how excited I was when I first heard about TES-MMO.
    Then they goddamn tell you that the combat will be like in WoW and no firstperson camera...
    It just killed the hype for me. I could not care less about diving myself into another generic mmo.

The genre really needs to evolve ffs.
    Technical difficulties should allready be a thing in the past.
    Make the goddamn firstperson MMO allready, someone! PLEASE.