10+ Year Old Account
    Round Rock, Tx (US - Thrall/Skullcrusher - Horde)

How can I diagnose my computers freezing problem?

I'm selling my computer to a friend in need here in a couple weeks, but it won't stop freezing. I don't really want to give him a computer if it's crapping out on him. xD

Basically a couple weeks ago, I couldn't even boot up my computer without it freezing on me. I would get past the log in screen and once it hit the desktop it would freeze. (Ctrl/Alt/Del would not work either.) I was able to boot in safe mode without problems, so I re installed windows. The problem stopped for a couple days, now it's back but not as bad. It happens either a couple hours in between freezes, or even up to a couple days without issue. Is there a way to test to see if it's a hardware issue, or a software issue?

Thanks for any help that can be given.

Edit: I just noticed something that may help, before the previous freeze, I had downloaded the AMD Driver Detector (did not have before an hour ago), and when I ran it, my music skipped 2 times, followed by another hard freeze. Just now, I tried to run it again and when I heard the music skip I paused to program. Soooo, which brings me to a silly question, could it be a Video Card/Drivers?
    Last edited by Vynrael; 2013-02-11 at 06:03 PM.

I assume rebooting is only a temporary fix, if a fix at all.

Firstly, I'd do two things.
    - List your specs here.
    - Check the Event Viewer log; it may hold interesting information.

Quote Originally Posted by Vynrael View Post
    Soooo, which brings me to a silly question, could it be a Video Card/Drivers?
    Most likely reason.

You have any other video card you can try on the computer so that you first completely uninstall old drivers and install new ones with the other card? Easiest way to start diagnosing.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Specs:
    Intel i5-2500k @ 3.3ghz
    8gb Ram
    XFX Radeon HD 6870
    MSI PH61A Mobo
    WD 500gb Caviar Green

What am I looking for in the Event Viewer log? Anything in particular? Or just errors in general?

@Vesseblah, Unfortunately no, this is the only computer in the house not using an onboard video card. xD

Critical in particular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looking at all the critical errors, they are all the same thing. They also seem to be for everytime I had the freeze, which I guess is to be expeced.

Edit:

Kinda wish that they just didn't state the obvious lol. Makes it hard to see where the problem comes from. xD

Also, I stopped being lazy and updated my video drivers without the Driver Detector, so hopefully that might help. Won't really know for sure for a few days. :P
    Last edited by Vynrael; 2013-02-11 at 07:22 PM.