Poll: Which race deserves some focus to develop there story?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I'd love to see all races share the spotlight and not just a select few, especially humans and orcs. Forsaken I feel had some in Wrath and some love in Lordaeron leveling in Cata. Thinking trolls will have some more in MoP and Blood Elves are having their share of awesome. I do feel Tauren and Goblins don't really have any big moments in lore, they're just there, Goblins moreso just being there than Tauren, at least the Tauren leader is around!

Night Elves had some love with Hyjal in Cata and are around a bit in MoP so I don't see them in any big need of lore. However, the rest of the Alliance could use some... I don't see the dwarves, gnomes, draenei or worgen doing much of anything major. I can imagine the Draenei will have a big role in a Legion expansion, but dunno with the rest...

So who should have the next bit of lore? Dunno, but I think I'd go with an Alliance race, feels like the Alliance is mostly just human activity right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if I should be happy or otherwise with Humans having zero votes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    When a white man doesn't come to the rescue, we already know how it would end based on history.
    Not always. Japan is doing well. If I remember right, when the white man came, they said "screw this" and in 100 years or so they went and reached everyone else in tech.

There are more examples of this, the Inca Empire for example had a system that is as good as some we use today, basically they redistributed wealth from rich "districts" to the poor ones. So there weren't problems until the white men came and inspired rivalities between brothers and destroyed the empire. The people living in the countries there today (Ecuador, Columbia, Peru, bit of Venezuela) are actually mostly living worse in many aspects then the Inca people did. Only those in Chile live slightly better.

---------- Post added 2013-02-21 at 11:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I'm not sure if I should be happy or otherwise with Humans having zero votes.
    Yea, wondering why orcs have 6, more then races like worgen for example who had less development in their expansion, let alone in the game.

Orcs are everywhere, they get enough.

Gnomes, Draenei, worgen and both playable pandaren factions. Those five are the most underused, and you'll notice that four of them are Alliance. Hell, neither pandaren faction has had any purpose in their own expansion's story so far, and likely will never.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    1. Draenei
    2. Worgen
    3. Tauren

Maybe also Night Elves given how they haven't actually had any lore that makes them a respectable race for a while .
    I kind of agree with this list. Draenei because... well, what have they had, other than a few small, bit parts throughout the past THREE expansions? Not much from what I've seen.

Worgen because the Goblins got the damn royal treatment in Cata and they got screwed over. Goblins get NPCs carried over from their starting zones into another zone? Worgen don't. Goblins get tons of new-styled settlements all over the world? Worgen get one or two. Goblins get a city that's practically a capital city? Worgen don't. The only thing that the Worgen got is the ability to re-visit their old zone... only completely lacking in all NPCs and activity, turning it into a dead zone.

And the Tauren... well, they've had a little more attention than the Draenei, but they sort of blend into the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    @ Constellation, the question i have is this thread were suppose to be "unbias" yet... you argue for night elf the way you WISH it was, but the fact is.. there are PLENTY of lore for night elves.
    You obviously read nothing about what I said. I said the current lore sucks. It denigrates the night elves, removes any semblence of pride, it's not even an underdog story it's a pathetic cesspit of crap written by writers that don't give a shit about the race or the story and just fill in any need for cannon fodder and imbecile with a night elf. The only lore that even gets a nod when it comes to Night Elves is Druid lore, which is quite different. People throw accusations of wanting Night Elves to be some master race at me, and thats BS; I never said that. But then in the same breath it's okay for humans and orcs and forsaken to be master races in their own right, no? There's a lot of Night Elf lore. There's too much. A majority of it is showing how shitty they are compared to how good they were when they were introduced. I don't want to see any more Night Elf lore cause they can't make new Night Elf lore with any kind of appeal unless you're a masochist. I'd like to see a lot of the stuff written go away, but that won't happen. no new night elf lore, they can't fix it, they've fucked it up beyond repair, and every time they "try" to improve it, they just make it worse. No more Night Elf lore; they need their horrible story forgotten about

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Restors View Post
    there are PLENTY of lore for night elves.
    You're asking for a spanking by saying something like that .
    Last edited by Scummer; 2013-02-21 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    Not always. Japan is doing well. If I remember right, when the white man came, they said "screw this" and in 100 years or so they went and reached everyone else in tech.

There are more examples of this, the Inca Empire for example had a system that is as good as some we use today, basically they redistributed wealth from rich "districts" to the poor ones. So there weren't problems until the white men came and inspired rivalities between brothers and destroyed the empire. The people living in the countries there today (Ecuador, Columbia, Peru, bit of Venezuela) are actually mostly living worse in many aspects then the Inca people did. Only those in Chile live slightly better..
    Japan is doing well because they are protected by the US military. All the money that doesn't go to defense they can spend on other stuff. Without the US they would have to dump tons of money into defense to deter China.

But that wasn't the point of my comment. As it related to Avatar, they needed saving from their aggressors not from internal conflicts. Without Sully to save them from the corporate military, the Na'vi would have been crushed. Just like the indigenous people of the Americas when the Europeans came.

Draenei. They've been largely ignored since BC. At least the blood elves had the sunreavers in Wrath, and now new developments in MoP, but the Draenei? They've pretty much just gotten velen's little appearance in swamp of sorrows, making only a token appearance in most places.

Tauren I think could use some love.

Humans and orcs have gotten plenty.

Trolls are getting some development with Vol'jin currently.

Gnomes at least got operation gnomeregan though I would like to see them get a little more love.

Worgen need some love but they're much newer than draenei who have been sidlined since bc.

Forsaken got plenty in cata.

Dwarves got a good deal in cata, but I'd like to see more of.

Nelves got some in cata, unfortunately much of it made them look bad so I'd like to see them redeemed in siege of org.

Goblins are in the same boat as worgen except they tend to fare much better in staying relevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Draenei. I hate everything about the race, but they need more character development. I also didn't like belves very much but the new light MoP has put them on has made them more interesting in my eyes. Maybe Blizzard can do the same with space goats?

10+ Year Old Account
    Rise of the Lich Queen! No more stupid race expansions! Bad enough we had Kung Fu Pandas, dont need more Space Goats!
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Hmm, I'm going to take a different tack on this question. WHY do some races get more/better lore development than others?

Just going off the top of my head, the races doing the best, lore-wise, have a significant non-Horde/Alliance presence.
    Draenei basically don't exist outside the Alliance, Blood Elves exists in the form of enemy NPCs (Kael's followers) all across TBC.
    Worgen are just an extension of the Alliance (both old and new), Goblins exist outside the Horde and continue to do well.
    Orcs and Humans both have large non-faction populations scattered around the world.
    Tauren and Gnomes basically exist nowhere but within the Horde and Alliance.

I might be confusing cause and effect here, but it seems like a lack of visibility, or reason to be visible, hurts a race over all. Lack of extracuricular activities beyond being a Horde/Alliance race seems to hurt you.

Maybe the races in need of lore development should try to break away from the H/A and pursue their own interests, and thus make themselves interesting?
    Last edited by Darmalus; 2013-02-21 at 09:46 PM.

Personally I think the entire alliance should get a lore overhaul like the horde did with garrosh. It seems to me that ever since W3 blizz has been trying to say that everything is grey and horde and alliance both have good and bad with alliance usually being good overall but also arrogant, prideful and full of bigotry much like garrosh's current horde. Unfortunately all I really see for the most part from alliance is okay forget that we can all be happy loving fun time work together with suger and spice and everything nice and be the archetypal good guys. (coming from an alliance player :/) I like where they went with varian being hotheaded, prideful and a little bloodthirsty to make orcs pay for past mistakes but I feel they should have let him get to the point of almost breaking the alliance apart in his rage before they set him on his current path of calming down to become the wise high king of the alliance. Overall I'm just dissapointed that they wasted the potential to flesh out the alliance and instead made horde interesting and complex while leaving alliance for the most part just full of captain america always do the right thing superheroes. Hopefully they fix this in the future cause I would love to see the alliance get the same love horde did recently.
    OT: of the individual races I would think draenei should get more lore since similar story to alliance overall just even though they are so different everyone just figured oh well forget about that happy fun time lets make draenei superman heroes that never do wrong.

Deleted
    I voted Draenei. I've always been frustrated at their lack of lore when there's so much potential lore that they could've had. When we went up against an unholy army of undead, where was the race with a direct link to the Holy Light? When the world ripped apart where was the race who had experienced all this before? And now that war is ravaging Azeroth and we're fighting manifestations of negative emotions where is the most peaceful and enlightened race in Azeroth?

To be perfectly honest, each new expansion must include hundreds of new quests surely. There's plenty of space for every playable race to get new lore development with each expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    Rise of the Lich Queen! No more stupid race expansions! Bad enough we had Kung Fu Pandas, dont need more Space Goats!
    Even if you don't like the pandaren, and want to call them 'kung fu pandas,' MoP is far from an expansion about a single race. 5.1, 5.2, and siege of org are all big, non directly pandaren related developments.

15+ Year Old Account
    Draenei. They have like... *shows ruler and points at 0* that much lore.

Draenei and Worgen, no argument. Both races were pretty much forgotten after their respective starting zones and/or expansions.

well if by chance the next expansion concerns the burning legion I would surly hope it ties into the Draenei back-story involving Argus.

If they feel the need to flush out a horde race they could go with the undead, as it is possible the Legion could be capable of manipulating the undead as arthas did(which would be great lorewise because sylvanas would undoubtedly require assistance from Ogrimmar to keep shit under control which could help unite the horde for the final battle .

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Florena View Post
    Even if you don't like the pandaren, and want to call them 'kung fu pandas,' MoP is far from an expansion about a single race. 5.1, 5.2, and siege of org are all big, non directly pandaren related developments.
    I calls it like i sees it, whale biologist.

And I sees Pandas doing Kung Fu all over the place.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Call me bias, but the bilgewater cartel have little to no lore. Even the Gilneas / Worgen story had a pretty good back story and is still ongoing with the forsaken.
    Gnomeregan is pretty much in the same position as the Bilgewater Goblins.

At least the Draenei / Blood Elves story continued throughout the Burning crusade expansion.

My major gripe with lore development in Wow is there inability to reuse minor characters they have created. Nazgrim and Taylor are a great example of what Blizzard should be doing. Each faction should have better fleshed out military hierarchy. We should know the commanders. Need to break through the Alliance lines? Call in the Gob Squad. Want to send a message to the Horde? Send in Darius Crowley and his pack of Worgen to tear the Horde a new one. Instead they just create new generic leaders we don't care about.