Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You make it sound like rehabilitation of grossly negligent people is a walk in the park.

Grossly negligent manslaughter gets hefty penalties due to loss of life. Manslaughter sentencing isn't as bad as murder sentencing, but 8 months clearly isn't right.
    And others here make it sound like a guy who was driving too fast falls into the ballpark of Timothy McVeigh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    A famous person avoiding a full punishment? Im in shock.
    His sentence is in keeping with what you or I would get.

He is hardly famous, he's a Man City youth team player.

Quote Originally Posted by babalou1 View Post
    I had 2 friends hit by a drunk driver 2 years ago, yesterday.

One didnt make it. The other is still going through therapy (additional surgeries may be needed in the future).

The drunk driver was given a recommended sentence of 25 years on the manslaughter count and 2 years for leaving the scene of a personal injury accident.
    Seems excessive. 25 years for driving drunk, 25 years is what a multi-murderer gets. Giving people recommended terms = to the terms for a MURDERER who PURPOSEFULLY kills, is highly stupid. Basically it's just ruining a life because they ruined a life. In which case, vengeance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cherb View Post
    And others here make it sound like a guy who was driving too fast falls into the ballpark of Timothy McVeigh
    if their speeding resulted in 150+ deaths, then ok

10+ Year Old Account
    I think 2-3 years minimum + never be allowed to touch a steering wheel again/ride a bike...

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I'm guessing most of the folks posting have not committed vehicular manslaughter, and since that's the subject rather than the persecution of non-angels, perhaps stick along those lines rather than attacking some extreme stance that no one is actually advocating
    My point was that by breaking the speed limit, they have the possibility for this to happen to them at any time.

I forget though, we're all too good as drivers for this kind of thing to happen to us right?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Question, what should the purpose of the justice system be?

a) rehabilitate
    or
    b) vengeance
    it may called rehabilitation, but that is not what the US penal system does.
    keeping them penned in and monitored is as far as it goes, actual rehabilitation would cost money, and nobody wants to spend any MORE money on convicts...

Ban the driver for owning a car for the next 25 years. That included a minimum 8 year prison sentence.

But thats just my conservative opinion...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
    Way to dodge the question. How long would this guy get if you were in charge.
    Two people are dead because of his actions.
    So what if two people are dead? Is ruining his life going to make them come back? I would say he should get no longer than 2 years, what exactly would be the point? He wasn't committing a felony, like a murder, or thievery now was he?

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 04:18 PM ----------

if their speeding resulted in 150+ deaths, then ok
    Do you even know what you're arguing now? You're one of those people.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Seems excessive. 25 years for driving drunk, 25 years is what a multi-murderer gets. Giving people recommended terms = to the terms for a MURDERER who PURPOSEFULLY kills, is highly stupid. Basically it's just ruining a life because they ruined a life. In which case, vengeance.
    I'm pretty sure its 25 to life for single murder. Serial killers easily get life or death penalty.

What do you charge a person who accidentally stop their friend with a shotgun when they were hunting?
    The way you put it, the consequences weren't brought about due to negligence. Its also clearly not gross negligence like driving 60 in a 30 zone while driving recklessly (racing).

Your stance isn't well thought out. Your counter points are poorly constructed making them incredibly easy to knock down. Its like listening to an addict trying to defend his habit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say a year in a prison for non violent offenders, suspension of drivers license for 5 years, and the passing of a substance abuse program.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    8 months for ending 2 lives is a slap on the wrist.
    My sarcasm translated poorly it seems.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I realized I never put my two cents in, but rather spoke on other people's comments.

I think for most people, killing two people accidently regardless of their punishment still have to live with the fact they killed two other living people. If I killed to people I know I would be haunted by that mistake for the rest of my life and 8 months, or ten years in prison wouldn't compare to the regret I would live with.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    The way you put it, the consequences weren't brought about due to negligence. Its also clearly not gross negligence like driving 60 in a 30 zone while driving recklessly (racing).

Your stance isn't well thought out and your counter points are poorly constructed making them incredibly easy to knock down. Its like listening to an addict trying to defend his habit.
    Two friends, one of them spinning around a shotgun accidentally shoots his friend, how long should he get? I didn't think I would need to add the fact the guns were being handled with negligence, I thought people would use their brains, apparently you failed to. This happened due to negligence after all.

So what if two people are dead? Is ruining his life going to make them come back? I would say he should get no longer than 2 years, what exactly would be the point? He wasn't committing a felony, like a murder, or thievery now was he?
    Two counts of manslaughter is worth 2 years?

Man, i hope you never become a judge...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I'd say a year in a prison for non violent offenders, suspension of drivers license for 5 years, and the passing of a substance abuse program.
    He got a 16 month sentence, will have a 3 year ban and have to retake his licence to a higher standard after that expires. Substance abuse programme would be irrelevant in this case.

10+ Year Old Account
    if you want to talk about guns, Themius, there's a thread for that

Quote Originally Posted by Stocking View Post
    Two counts of manslaughter is worth 2 years?

Man, i hope you never become a judge...
    I believe in rehabilitation and bettering people, not throwing them in jail to punish them and punish them, because hey, we want to punish you! They know they did bad, the world knows they did bad, they are already being punished, what needs to be addressed is FIXING the issue, which isn't fixed by throwing them in jail for 10 years.

Two friends, one of them spinning around a shotgun accidentally shoots his friend, how long should he get? I didn't think I would need to add the fact the guns were being handled with negligence, I thought people would use their brains, apparently you failed to. This happened due to negligence after all.
    Because these two scenarios are so similar. Oh wait, they totally are not.

Spinning a shotgun around is not against the law. Going twice the limit is.

if you want to talk about guns, Themius, there's a thread for that
    We are talking about negligent deaths, which this was, I am now asking how one would treat another death by negligence with another item.