Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, it's not. One of our RLs got hacked by them forging some papers and simply getting the authenticator removed.
    That's not hacking, that's social engineering. And yes, there are ways to gain access to an account with an authenticator, but they are so troublesome that it hardly ever happens. I still think this officer didn't even have an authenticator, which still makes me rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Noorri View Post
    I think the concept of that entire meme is that the guy is percieved as an idiot, and so wouldn't understand that Method is from Europe. No offense to him, that's just what I have gathered after seeing that picture a few times.
    I'm not sure that he is perceived as an idiot so much, I think that meme came up after several of the EU guilds had got banned for the Dragon Soul LFR bug and so it was assumed BL should have gotten world first, but failed to do so. Far as I know, but I don't follow them that closely, he's never made such a statement.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Being in a hardcore worldfirst raid does not make you an automatic elitist. I am a strong proponent for LFR and casal content but you have really gone too far and you are not helping your case by calling out people who you don't know anything about..
    Not to sidetrack the thread, but it would go a long way in curbing some of the anti-LFR\Anti-Casual stuff if more of the World first guilds were more vocal in support of things like LFR or other casual content. Though I suspect, many of the top 50 guilds don't like the casual aspects as well, they just don't openly complain about it.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-07-05 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Shame they didn't just quit. The more hardcore guilds leave the less they whine about the game being improved for casuals. The game can get by just fine without any of them.
    Ice hockey can get by just fine without NHL too, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Ice hockey can get by just fine without NHL too, right?
    Right. We have many Leagues in Europe to watch, and KHL

Quote Originally Posted by Myneo View Post
    you can get hacked with auth though, a friend of mine got hacked 3 times in one day using an authenticator :/
    Was is the software authenticator on a smart phone? Because they can be hacked.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    That's not hacking, that's social engineering. And yes, there are ways to gain access to an account with an authenticator, but they are so troublesome that it hardly ever happens. I still think this officer didn't even have an authenticator, which still makes me rofl.
    It's still hacking when social engineering is only part of the process. Also, that it does happen proves that they aren't troublesome enough to not be worth the effort.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Was is the software authenticator on a smart phone? Because they can be hacked.
    Yeah, the phone ones aren't safe one bit. My GL had his account compromised despite a phone authenticator, much better off with a proper one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukem View Post
    Right. We have many Leagues in Europe to watch, and KHL
    How many people in North America would be interested in ice hockey after all NHL teams quit permanently (players going to their lives, not continuing playing) and upon interviewing them, they'd say: "Ice hockey sucks, all it left behind was physical injuries."

How many people in North America would be interested in ice hockey after all NHL teams quit permanently (players going to their lives, not continuing playing) and upon interviewing them, they'd say: "Ice hockey sucks, all it left behind was physical injuries."
    Before there was a NHL, NFL, NBA, etc etc..there was what ? That's right, people playing basketball, baseball, Soccer, Hockey. Now we live in a world, where people who add very little to the world are making hundreds of millions of dollars because they can dunk a basketball in a exciting way. I think the best thing that could happen to sports is if the NHL, NFL, NBA all just disappeared. People would learn that they could live just fine without Lebron James in their lives

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Not to sidetrack the thread, but it would go a long way in curbing some of the anti-LFR\Anti-Casual stuff if more of the World first guilds were more vocal in support of things like LFR or other casual content. Though I suspect, many of the top 50 guilds don't like the casual aspects as well, they just don't openly complain about it.
    Since it's already sidetracked...

I'd be willing to bet that the reason the very top guilds don't talk about LFR is that they don't actually care that much. It doesn't impact the game they're playing a bit.

Coming from a far less hardcore guild but one with decent progression, I don't even care about LFR. It's sort of a necessary evil early in the tier and I use for alts when I decide to care about them at but I don't care that it exists.
    Living the casual life, oh yeah.

Well, on that i think just the ones that are really into Ice hockey and enjoy watching it. I dont know what NA people do but here in EU we usually just divert to another simmilar activity.

If that is reference to the Method and Hardcore guilds quitting I would say in case of WoW there will be always some hardcore guild on the top. not the cool old names like Nihilum, Ensidia, Method but new and yet unknown, the quallity wont go down so fast in that high places.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyrotten View Post

I'd be willing to bet that the reason the very top guilds don't talk about LFR is that they don't actually care that much. It doesn't impact the game they're playing a bit.

Coming from a far less hardcore guild but one with decent progression, I don't even care about LFR. It's sort of a necessary evil early in the tier and I use for alts when I decide to care about them at but I don't care that it exists.
    I would also assume that they race through LFR with a (mostly) guild group in those couple weeks they might want their sets from it.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post

I suspect the same. I can't imagine they liked spamming LFR during DS or even now for getting legendaries faster or some minor upgrades. Or massive alt runs and what not. But they will always do things they don't necessarily like to get world first kills.
    They obviously do like the difficulty heroic mode is giving them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyrotten View Post

Maybe so, hard to say. Sometimes I hear folks that previously raided hardcore say that the views of the guild were as diverse as you find on the forums. Some hate it, so don't care, some love it. I imagine those guilds still have an opinion on whether it's "ruining the game". Of course, maybe people at that level are so far away from the common raider they don't have a real sense on whether it's ruining the game or not.

I would be curious to see the affect it would have if the top 20 guilds all came out and said "If you're complaining about LFR(or whatever), you're an uninformed bad and are thus unqualified to complain" Or even the opposite, what Blizzard's response would be if the top 20 all came out and said "LFR\pet battles\farmville is ruining Wow!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    Shame they didn't just quit. The more hardcore guilds leave the less they whine about the game being improved for casuals. The game can get by just fine without any of them.
    Except THOSE hardcore raiders don't complain about casuals. They mind their own business, because they know very well that very few can match their skills.
    The ones you refer to are those who also whine and bitch when they have to wait too long for the guides and how-to vids released by Method or others, so they can re-enact their strategies.. In other words, the wannabe-leets are the ones bitching about casuals. Cause they are closer to casual than they are to true hardcore. Those casuals pose a threat to them
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Harmzuay View Post
    You know you can still get hacked even with an authenticator, right?
    You know that to do so you have to have a system so ridiculously infested with malware and other garbage that you might as well be beta testing viruses for a living?

Seriously, don't spread garbage like that.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Woceip View Post
    You know that to do so you have to have a system so ridiculously infested with malware and other garbage that you might as well be beta testing viruses for a living?

Seriously, don't spread garbage like that.
    You confirm that his post was correct, that it is possible, yet you then say to not spread garbage.... You do realise that makes no sense right? If you can have your account compromised while using an authenticator, then he isn't spreading anything

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmzuay View Post
    You know you can still get hacked even with an authenticator, right?
    Your average account thieves don't employ MiM attacks to spearphish account information and time-sensitive authenticator codes due to the effort involved. That being said, if said officer was hacked, it was a deliberate and targeted attempt and someone really has it out for Method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Duskster View Post
    Your average account thieves don't employ MiM attacks to spearphish account information and time-sensitive authenticator codes due to the effort involved. That being said, if said officer was hacked, it was a deliberate and targeted attempt and someone really has it out for Method.
    I suppose that's the problem with being such a high profile guild
    And regarding him having/not having an Authenticator, I would be suprised if he didn't, because there is a setting in the guild settings that you can check so people without Authenticators on their account cannot gain a certain rank, Basically to stop Officers getting hacked, and then doing this exact thing, I don't know if they had it checked, but you would expect so from a guild like this

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    No, it's not. One of our RLs got hacked by them forging some papers and simply getting the authenticator removed.
    You do know one of the items asked is proof of identification, i.e, a driver's licence? Forging a driver's license just to steal an account seems a bit of a stretch. Sounds more like your RL bought his account on ebay a long time ago and the original owner decided to yank it back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulqiorra View Post
    If you equate playing WoW to having electricity, I feel very, very happy for the rest of the world, as that kind of thinking will, inevitably, lead to the eradication of your seed from the gene pool.
    WoW Toons: Duskwind (retired)/Duskrime (retired)
    Diablo 3 Profile