Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    AdBlock is quite wrong to sites who highly rely on them for their income. Unfortunate alot of the adds are way to intrusive and in the way of the sites content. This is a reason why I use it to keep an enjoyable browsing experience.

But, you can blacklist sites in it's settings so AdBlock won't filter those ads so you can support them. I do that with some Twitch streamers who I want to support and sites with non-intrusive adds.

Please... do not come in here and white knight for some random streamer.. if hes entertaining enough people will sub/donate to him. I will also continue to use addblock i dont want some shitty malware on my pc.

The ironic thing is that the more "dynamic" the ad, the less likely it is that it can run on a given device.

Many ads on this very site don't get shown on this mobile--all I see is "This plugin is not supported."
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

Speaking as a professional member of the media, without ads in this world, there would be no media. I encourage you all to stop blocking words from our sponsors so that we may continue to bring you only the highest of quality.

Unless, of course, you watch a different news team, in which case, ad block away!

thanks for reminding me, totally forgot to install it after fresh windows re-install

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    thanks for reminding me, totally forgot to install it after fresh windows re-install
    What's funny is how many of you guys say this to try to be snarky, but the only thing you're revealing is that AdBlock changes your experience so minimally that you don't even realize it when it's gone.

Fwoosh.

Deleted
    The priniciple of ads:
    You agree having a advertising message during content you watch, to pay for that content. That is what pays for the content. Not you, the advertiser. He's gives money to the website / show.

So what's 10years down the line of adblock?
    Sites like the one we are on died because of lack of revenue.
    You now have websites actually made by brands, so they don't have to buy ads: they own the websites. Immagine a pampers MMO champion that's where you are heading with adblock. This is not a fantasy, I work in the industry and thays how it will work, which is a much worst solution for the end user.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Speaking as a professional member of the media, without ads in this world, there would be no media. I encourage you all to stop blocking words from our sponsors so that we may continue to bring you only the highest of quality.

Unless, of course, you watch a different news team, in which case, ad block away!
    Without ads, media will find a new way to generate revenue's! I hate this arguement, it is so short sighted and uncreative

Quote Originally Posted by Ethes View Post
    Without ads, media will find a new way to generate revenue's! I hate this arguement, it is so short sighted and uncreative
    Hey man, it isn't my job to come it with ways to generate the revenue! I just report the news. The news is, that's the line we get from companies, so nothing is going to change for now.

Name a few of these other ways? Donations? Merchandising? Kickstarters? All of which means the money would be coming from your pocket, instead of being free for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    The priniciple of ads:
    You agree having a advertising message during content you watch, to pay for that content. That is what pays for the content. Not you, the advertiser. He's gives money to the website / show.

So what's 10years down the line of adblock?
    Sites like the one we are on died because of lack of revenue.
    You now have websites actually made by brands, so they don't have to buy ads: they own the websites. Immagine a pampers MMO champion that's where you are heading with adblock. This is not a fantasy, I work in the industry and thays how it will work, which is a much worst solution for the end user.
    When ad agencies stop being humoneous egotistical asses about their ads, maybe people will watch them again.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Name a few of these other ways? Donations? Merchandising? Kickstarters? All of which means the money would be coming from your pocket, instead of being free for you.
    Again, I have nothing against white-listing sites I visit frequently, especially if they keep their ads unobtrusive. Hell, 90% of my bookmark list is white-listed.

But when I'm randomly browsing, I don't want to suddenly develop bleeding eardrums or have my anti-virus go ballistic. So AdBlock it is.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only use adblock for youtube really, there's just something abhorrent to me about wanting to watch a 2-3 minute video but having to sit through a 30 second to one minute ad beforehand.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    Hey man, it isn't my job to come it with ways to generate the revenue! I just report the news. The news is, that's the line we get from companies, so nothing is going to change for now.
    Basically thats fine, as long as these news agencies don't demand their customers to behave in a certain way (not use ad blocking software in this case). If your revenues are being threatened, you should change your business strategy instead of blaming your customers for your loss.

Sponsorships (technically ads, I know. But embedded completely differently), Auctions, new approach to ads in general, w/e! It's not up to me to come up with your business model. You've been saying this stupid stuff throughout this whole thread and nothing has changed for 30 pages.

Stop blaming your customers and start taking responsibility for your own business. You claim that you're being paid from ad revenue's, good for you. Just don't be suprised if things change eventually and you'll be required to adjust. You can't keep bouncing the ball back to your customers and say "Ads or money from your wallet". It's your responsibility to make money and if you can't do it through ads, YOU have to find another way. If that means charging people for access to your content, so be it. If your content is good enough it'll get you an income. If you suck, you'll have to move on and change your business model somehow or improve.

Lastly, your hypothetical opinion isn't worth more than mine or anyone else's hypothetical opinion. So when you say "Internet will die if ads are blocked" that is just as much a hypothesis as others saying "It'll go back to people who enjoy providing this content, and do so because it's their hobby".

Deleted
    I already pay for internet. Why pay again for websites?

Adblock ftw. Especially against the flashy ones and annoying overlays. Not to mention potentially harmful third party Flash and Javascript - where I didn't ask for - executing on MY computer.

If you (as website owner) lose money over people using adblock, too bad and it's your own god damn fault for not finding a better payment model. Not my fucking problem. If your site goes down by it I happen to visit, I'll just use another site. I couldn't care less.

Sponsorships (technically ads, I know. But embedded completely differently), Auctions, new approach to ads in general, w/e! It's not up to me to come up with your business model. You've been saying this stupid stuff throughout this whole thread and nothing has changed for 30 pages.
    Sponsorships are ads. A new approach to ads would probably mean integration within the content, aka, unavoidable for you. Auctions? Really?

You can't think of any because there aren't many other realistic ventures out there, that aren't, you know, ADS.

Sponsorships are ads. A new approach to ads would probably mean integration within the content, aka, unavoidable for you. Auctions? Really?

You can't think of any because there aren't many other realistic ventures out there, that aren't, you know, ADS.
    Nice how you pin-point one line out of my post. It's your business model, not mine. I can't care less if your website goes under tbh! So YOU have to come up with a functioning business model and stop pointing to me to do your work for you!

Also lovely you find it necessary to repeat me ...
    Last edited by Ethes; 2013-07-12 at 09:04 AM.

It's been said so many times in this thread that people would actually be accepting of ads if they were flat images or gifs, not ones that move around trying to block things or ones that start automatically playing music. There are millions of legit non annoying, non imposing ads. The problem is that people hate the other kind so much they block them both. If there were a little more uniformity of websites to promote using non annoying ads then people would feel better about leaving them on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    It's been said so many times in this thread that people would actually be accepting of ads if they were flat images or gifs, not ones that move around trying to block things or ones that start automatically playing music. There are millions of legit non annoying, non imposing ads. The problem is that people hate the other kind so much they block them both. If there were a little more uniformity of websites to promote using non annoying ads then people would feel better about leaving them on.
    What's the point of ads anyway if people never click or look at them? I'd rather save myself some bandwidth and page loading speed by blocking them.

Who does using AdBlock hurt?

The smaller websites receiving money for Ads? Nope, too many people don't use/know about AdBlock, so these services still pay for traffic. Doesn't hurt the website you choose to frequent.
    Websites like Youtube run by massive companies like Google? Less than pocket lint, not even pocket change, to these companies.

The advertisers themselves? You bet your ass. Good, now you have encouragement to use AdBlock. These companies make craptons of money, do everything to hurt low-level employees and consumers, often propagate the worst messages in society, etc... If you have the opportunity to screw these companies over, and don't take it, you're doing wrong if you fail to.
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.