Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now, OP should have said, "Dance Studio + Cash Shop = Everyone's happy!" and then everyone would agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    This is a point I was trying to bring up in the other thread: Why are player models any different to store-mounts or store-helms? They're both just cosmetic changes that don't affect your game. But I can 100% guarantee that everyone who supports the cash shop would suddenly go nuts if Blizzard put new player models on there....

Total double standards when it comes to something a person actually wants.
    If you can't see the difference between cosmetic gear that can be obtained either in game or through the Blizzard store and new character models I really don't know what to say. New character models aren't just about what YOUR character looks like but what EVERYONES character looks like and for that reason alone that is why Blizzard won't be charging for this or gating it in any way whatsoever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Do you seriously think Blizzard is going to allow their game to look like a mish mash of character models of varying quality just to make a quick buck? Part of the reasoning for doing new character models is to bring the older ones in line with the more recent ones. So no they aren't going to put it in the cash shop or charge players for it at all.
    Well they already allowed the game to be ridiculous the moment they released those golden mounts and the whole town looked golden and you couldn't see shit. Wouldn't put it past them with their apparent money hunger they have right now. (but I doubt it).

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, after all the hype surrounding new character models, and the fact that this isn't a speculative feature, they have actually confirmed to be working on it, putting them on the store would be cataclysmic, and this is coming from someone who's usually ok with anything that happens in WoW. We're not talking about a single cosmetic part of a character here, but the full model with which you play every time you login, and an update which is quite anticipated by many of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

more like "Updated character models + Cash Shop = wave of QQ and another 2-3mil lost subs"

Deleted
    they really should lock all of these threads,its starting to be annoying having like 20 threads on one topic. PS blizzard wouldent do that,they arnt idiots. They know they can make money from Transmog items that wont affect everyone. but when it comes to new models that everyone wants, its different.

Deleted
    I would unsub when this goes live. It would be a slap in the face, nothing less in my opinioin

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    How? You're not buying anything that gives you an advantage in-game in any way at all. It's purely cosmetic just like the helms. You have people posting how 6-7 people in their EU guilds have bought helms already. If it was updated models it would be 4 x's as that. That's alot of extra money that Blizz would be stupid to pass up.
    So you'd love to be stuck with old models if you cant pay? And its something that is part of the game, transmog isn't that important sure but models? We control our character so I shouldn't pay an extra 10$ or so just to have an "upgrade". Why not make new cities,dungeons,raids exclusive to people who pay then? So no. If they do that I'm out.

Quote Originally Posted by deathstar878 View Post
    Wow amazing how you can be defending putting this on the cash shop when we already pay 15 dollars a month to play this game
    Can someone show me this secret mmo rule book everyone is quoting from? Look, absurd topic not withstanding who says there can't be microtransactions in a subscription game? I know very well that players don't necessarily want to pay extra for things and that's great but where is this "shouldn't have to" nonsense comin from aside from nothing more than opinion? Blizzard is a for profit company and as such can charge for additional services all they want. Cable companies charge for premium channel packages. Cell phone companies do as well as does any other service orientated company. Why is it ok for them but people raise holy hell when a subscription based mmo does it? I have been asking this in all of these threads only to be accused of trolling. It is a serious question and the answer could potentially bolster support for getting Blizzard to drop the idea for the cash shop entirely so why not answer it honestly rather than continually dodge it?

Quote Originally Posted by Elementalkin View Post
    It's called a different point of view. He even asked you for your thoughts, but you probably skimmed through it and missed that part.
    You don't understand his post? He's trying to make the point that people should be ok with models in the shop, because they are ok with transmog gear in the shop, because it's just cosmetic and so are models, but he knows people will be against models in the shop. Therefore he can prove that the cash shop is not only bad if it offers P2W items, but some items that are only cosmetic, like models, shouldn't be there either according to most people. He is clearly against the transmog items as well. Damn, I can't believe I actually have to explain this. You do know what a devil's advocate is, right?

So... what about the opposite? Updated character models for everyone and being able to buy the "old-school skin pack" for your characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Shampro View Post
    Fucking Hyperbolic morons. They see something meaningless on a store that doesnt even require you to buy shit and suddenly everything will be on there. Keep up with the hyperbole MMO champion, keep it up.
    What's worse is these threads are actually shutting down discussions players need to be having. Let's drop the hyperbole and actually start having a sensible discussion on cash shops in subscription based mmos. No more of this "shouldn't have to" bullshit without any actual explanation. People need to start explaining themselves rather than being sheep and bashing microtransactions simply because the other guy is doing it too. None of the people against cash shops are going to get any support from anyone else until they do and more importantly Blizzard isn't going to consider their feedback until it becomes a lot more specific and a lot more rational.

Deleted
    Too expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Chingylol View Post
    New character models = cash shop

This isn't actually a bad idea, because only the people who WANT to have the new models for their toons can pick and choose which one. Everyone wins.

For example, I like my hunchback orc so wouldn't pay to have him updated, but I would definitely pay $15-25 dollars to have my human warrior updated with a new model. There's really no reason why Blizz SHOULDN'T do this. They make tons of money and only the people who want their toon to look different will purchase. Thoughts?
    I don't really care. After all it's only cosmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    I don't agree with anything Blizz charges you for. They have a sub based game with micro-transactions. Sure for them, it's great because they make a ton of money, more than any other game out there but it really screws over the players. A game should either have a sub and give you everything for free or be F2P with micro-transactions. They shouldn't have both. Personally the only reason I stick around is because I have invested 8 years into my character.

It's not a double standard, it's just wrong on all accounts. If they actually did this yeah, they'd make a lot of money as you said but I bet they'd lose several million subscribers as it would be by far the biggest slap in the face they've ever done. They've promised updated models for YEARS and then to turn around and say we finally finished but you have to pay for them. Yeah..the sub drop would be massive and their shareholders would be PISSED.
    But why though? Everything you said is purely opinion and that's great but why? Where are people getting this idea that a game can only be subscription based or it can only be microtransaction based but not both? Stop focusing on Blizzard trying to make a profit because quite honestly it should be rather pretty fucking obvious that EVERYTHING they have done from when they first started all the way up until now has been motivated by profit so continually bringing it up like it is some sort of earth shattering news is quite asinine and only detracts from the discussion players should be having.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Can someone show me this secret mmo rule book everyone is quoting from? Look, absurd topic not withstanding who says there can't be microtransactions in a subscription game? I know very well that players don't necessarily want to pay extra for things and that's great but where is this "shouldn't have to" nonsense comin from aside from nothing more than opinion? Blizzard is a for profit company and as such can charge for additional services all they want. Cable companies charge for premium channel packages. Cell phone companies do as well as does any other service orientated company. Why is it ok for them but people raise holy hell when a subscription based mmo does it? I have been asking this in all of these threads only to be accused of trolling. It is a serious question and the answer could potentially bolster support for getting Blizzard to drop the idea for the cash shop entirely so why not answer it honestly rather than continually dodge it?
    It's understood that our subscription goes towards content being developed. The items on the store is technically content that is being developed. So in a sense, it's as if Blizz is "double-dipping". That's where these people are coming from!

On the old WoW website it had a FAQ that explained the purpose of the subscription, in that it helped Blizzard maintain servers and helped produce patches.

Here's a list of game marketing models in reception from players, 1 being the best reception:
    1. Free game, free everything (non-existant really)
    2. Free game, pay for certain vanities
    3. Free game, pay 2 win
    4. Pay for game, free everything
    5. Pay for game, pay for downloadable content
    6. Free game, subscriptions, free content
    7. Pay for game, pay for subscriptions, free content
    8. Pay for game, pay for subscriptions, pay for cosmetic content <--- where WoW is at now
    9. Pay for game, pay for subscriptions, pay to win. (non-existant too)

Character models aren't optional content, so no they won't be selling it on their shops.

Character model revamp and integration involves a global change for all character and NPC models, just like how they did for Goblins, Blood Elves and Worgen. There's so much work involved with creating and integrating the new models that it isn't feasible to have it be exclusive content. Making it exclusive means only a fraction of the player base gets to have access to it. It would be like if they designed a raid with pay access; it's the complete opposite of what they want to do with content they spend a lot of time creating.

Helmets, mounts and pets are efficient-to-create content that doesn't require a lot of forethought. This isn't anything compared to the complex animations character models will get, the support for every piece of gear in the game and the fact that all NPCs will be upgraded upon release.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2013-07-17 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    This is the thread we ask why cash shop xmogs are ok, but cash shop new models are somehow a bad idea.

If you wait and listen closely, you'll hear the faint tap tap tap sound of hypocrisy meters being pegged.
    Because players have a choice in transmog gear in game and soon to be in the Blizzard store which gives them a choice. They aren't required to pay extra for transmog gear in general (for specific gear yes but not the point) whereas the only option for new character models would be the Blizzard store. Not only that but the fact that it just flat out makes no sense to have some characters using new models and other characters using old models. Again keep in mind part of Blizzard's reasoning for doing the updated models is to make all characters look more consistent making cash shop character models completely contradictory to why they are bothering to update them at all. It isn't hypocrisy because for one they aren't even remotely the same things at all but also because it is just plain flat out common sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saycheese View Post
    Blizzard already charges us 15 bucks a month, plus the money we pay for expansions, and then of course there's the race/faction changes and server transfers. We pay for enough already, they are already treating it like a f2p game. Anyone who is suggesting that we pay for character models of all things is part of the reason Blizzard feels that it is ok for them to continue this shitty business model. And don't start with the "it's only cosmetic, it doesn't affect you" BS. We should be getting this content offered to us through in game means since we support them every month.
    You mean the "shitty business model" of making a profit? I have yet to hear a well reasoned rational argument as to why paying both a subscription for access to the game in addition to fees for premium products and services is so wrong. Blizzard isn't the first company to charge for a product and then charge for addons for said product. I'm not saying people can't have their opinions but the only reasons I have heard as to why Blizzard shouldn't have a cash shop consists of "I don't like it" or "I shouldn't have to" with no explanation or elaboration and just more of the usual petulant whining this community is known for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Updated Player Model + Cash Shop = me go bye bye, they make atleast £200k from the EU subs, ALONE, in A MONTH, -IF NOT MORE- if their plan is to make WoW the game with the least amount of subs, this is the right way to do it, but as someone has mentioned, if it was a F2P game, then MAAAAYBE, but not if we're already paying £8.99 (about 12€ or $15)per month
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

I have literally given Blizzard over $1500 since Vanilla just to play the game, no extra purchases included. I would think that they could find it in their hearts to give me a character model update for free, should they become available.