Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Lightbulb Suggestion: Leveling an alt while queuing for LFR!

Hey! I also made a thread about this on the official forums but might as well post it here

What if you could log on to an alt while you're queuing for an LFR on your main? You could level, grind rep, farm mats or what ever you like. You could see the queue while on your alt and when the que pops you would automatically be logged back on you main and ported to the dungeon!

I don't know if it's hard or impossible to implement but for me this would be awesome! I'd like to level my alt but I just can't find time for it as my LFR queues are normally around 1-2 hours long. I also have nothing to do on my main while I queue.

What do you think? Also what do you do while queuing for LFR?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/8965497896#1

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think LFR queue times for DPS are a necessary part of the raid/dungeon finder experience. If DPS do not have long queues (compared to the useful roles), then they have no reason not to screw around/make trouble/complain about the tanking or healing. They can just jump in and derp and it's no big deal if they get kicked because the queue back up is instant. This would further undermine the toxic community that often makes LFR unpleasant. It's important for DPS to have a good motivating factor (time, in this case) to ensure they behave themselves and not get kicked. Same with kicking them for poor performance. If some bad comes into the group and doesn't do good damage, he should just be kickable on the spot without being able to just mouth-breathe his way into a new one.

Definitely interested in keeping DPS queues as long as possible to improve the experience for tanks and to a lesser extent, healers. You should have to earn your place by patience so you know not to screw around when you're in there or it's back out into the cold for another hour or more.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

10+ Year Old Account
    But this isn't about making the queues shorter. It's about doing something else while waiting for the long queue.

Don't really see a problem with it.
    Might keep people more active in front of the screen, making them miss less queues.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted
    Like there arent a million useless tanks in LFR, they slow down the experience far more than dps would ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawri View Post
    But this isn't about making the queues shorter. It's about doing something else while waiting for the long queue.
    There is already about a million things to do while waiting for a queue. I usually farm elites and warscouts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marema View Post
    There is already about a million things to do while waiting for a queue. I usually farm elites and warscouts.
    True but I've already got all pandaria reps exalted and would like to level an alt while queuing

By your logic it should be acceptable to play 2 characters on the same account at any time. Why should it be a privilege to those in LFR queues? What about BG queues? Heck, why shouldn't blizzard allow me to play one character while I let a bot herb/mine for me on another?

15+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a good idea, especially if we forbid the alt from also going into a queue: there would be more alts in the world outside, levelling on quests instead of LFD spam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    Sounds like a good idea, especially if we forbid the alt from also going into a queue: there would be more alts in the world outside, levelling on quests instead of LFD spam.
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking that you can't que with that alt

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teeqrah View Post
    Like there arent a million useless tanks in LFR, they slow down the experience far more than dps would ever do.
    Like this is on topic, oh wait, it's not. Now that you posted something unrelated ad nonconstructive, take a cookie and get out.

On topic: it doesn't convince me honestly. Making queues a non issue for DPS (or anyone really, but it's DPS that have long queues and thus would really benefit from this) has the side effect of discouraging all hybrids to queue as tanks or healers. Which, consequently, lengthens the queue for everyone. True, it would make it more pleasurable for pure classes, but at what cost?
    Quote Originally Posted by Qieth
    I don't do math, blind assumptions work so much better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    I think LFR queue times for DPS are a necessary part of the raid/dungeon finder experience. If DPS do not have long queues (compared to the useful roles), then they have no reason not to screw around/make trouble/complain about the tanking or healing. They can just jump in and derp and it's no big deal if they get kicked because the queue back up is instant. This would further undermine the toxic community that often makes LFR unpleasant. It's important for DPS to have a good motivating factor (time, in this case) to ensure they behave themselves and not get kicked. Same with kicking them for poor performance. If some bad comes into the group and doesn't do good damage, he should just be kickable on the spot without being able to just mouth-breathe his way into a new one.

Definitely interested in keeping DPS queues as long as possible to improve the experience for tanks and to a lesser extent, healers. You should have to earn your place by patience so you know not to screw around when you're in there or it's back out into the cold for another hour or more.
    So then by this logic even the good dps who queue up for a LFR looking for sigils, secrets, runestones, vp get lumped in with the baddies?

Now by no means am I saying I'm a great DPS. I'm fairly good and pretty much get out of stuff soon as I can. However due to vision issues (which you all have seen me mention before) there are some mechanics I just can't see on the ground because Blizz has littered the terrain with so much bright white Sha stuff or other colors that it all intermingles with player spells and boss mechanics.

The only time I really screw up and die is when I can see crap on the ground because it blends in with either a healer's healing spell, a DK's death and decay or the Blizz terrain artwork. I've been lucky enough to run several lfrs with some people on a basis that they know this and don't kick me when I die (plus it helps when you're in the top 10 dps either behind 6 other mages or top 5 is only a couple).

TL;DR Not all DPS are baddies as you seem to suggest.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't mind it. Sometimes, you just don't feel like doing anything on the toon you need to queue for LFR.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post

How is that fair? Really.

Infact I vote kick far more tanks and healers than DPS that's for sure.
    Last edited by mmoc9cb242d19c; 2013-12-18 at 01:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, lately even the healer (and tank) queues are not that great, depending on the day. Before flex existed, I was commonly 5-15 minutes in queue as a healer for any LFR.

Now, some might be 15 minutes, and some might be an hour. Downfall is notoriously bad for queues, it has the longest one of them all. Most average around 30 minutes.
    I went to the first wing of ToT last night queued as a healer, in group with my boyfriend's dps character, and we waited 30 minutes. I got in there and one of the tanks AFK'd, got booted, and while we were waiting for a second tank, the group was lamenting queue times. The tank that was in there said he waited 30 minutes to get in. As a tank!

I totally understand why you'd want to do something else while queuing, but the upside for me has been being able to queue for multiple wings at once. I can queue for one of the ones that has a shorter queue time at the same time I queue for one with a long queue time. Fifteen minutes later the shorter one has popped, and I can go do it and when I finish it, the longer one pops.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like this idea.

I have a better idea:

* start after X minutes of having one tank, one healer and one or two DPS,
    * if there's a missing DPS, put a debuff increasing outgoing damage onto players and player pets so that fewer DPS is fine,
    * if there's a missing healer, put a debuff decreasing incoming damage onto players and player pets so that fewer healers is fine,
    * if there's a missing tank, nerf the tanking mechanics of a boss to allow solo tanking.

LFR only, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I have a better idea:

* start after X minutes of having one tank, one healer and one or two DPS,
    * if there's a missing DPS, put a debuff increasing outgoing damage onto players and player pets so that fewer DPS is fine,
    * if there's a missing healer, put a debuff decreasing incoming damage onto players and player pets so that fewer healers is fine,
    * if there's a missing tank, nerf the tanking mechanics of a boss to allow solo tanking.

LFR only, of course.
    Mostly all is implemented in Flex-Style-LFR in WoD Im not sure about the tank mechanic and situation without a Tank

10+ Year Old Account
    They would likely not allow people to play more than one character at a time. It would allow the player to burn through content faster. MMO + Longer to do shit = More money for Blizz. They would shoot this down just based on the sub loss from people ripping thru and unsubbing til the next patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawri View Post
    Which would then work in favor of the DPS, since they have more time to do other stuff that they want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aydinx2
    People who don't buy the deluxe edition should be permanently banned. I'm sick of playing with poor people.