Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by plantation View Post
    Elder Scrolls Online sucks. Not even worth playing if it was F2P and free to download, let alone $60 and a $15 subscription fee. lolz
    I guarantee you that you haven't even played it. Or even looked into it at all. It's inevitable. Something will come along and be the next wow. While ESO probably won't be it, don't just dismiss something just because it isn't wow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just can't see TESO doing anything major, neither Wildstar. However, no one ever mentions EQN, the underdog.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    I guarantee you that you haven't even played it. Or even looked into it at all. It's inevitable. Something will come along and be the next wow. While ESO probably won't be it, don't just dismiss something just because it isn't wow.
    Iv played it and it has boring combat, but that might be my hatred for that type of a game.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    After playing both ESO and Wildstar I feel comfortable in saying neither game brings anything new to the table. Both will have their niche for sure but I really question how well they'll do besides that.

Quote Originally Posted by Balibapo View Post
    Speaking as someone who has tested Wildstar, I can safely say that it won't be a "WoW-killer". Graphics way, way too cartoony. Combat way too easy (telegraphs are ridicilous). Combat system is silly; no auto-attack and you can only have 8 different skills active at the same time a'la diablo 3 (LAS = Limited Action Set). They think it will add to customization while players will figure out what the best 8 skills are for PvE/PvP/Hybrid and whatnot. Either way, not impressed at all. WoD on the other hand I think is going to be Blizzard's best expansion pack, just a gut feeling.
    You're talking about Wildstar being cartoony. WoW is extremely cartoony. So they're in the same category in that regard. I think Wildstar is going to come out of nowhere and surprise alot of people. And while I still play and love wow, it's really becoming redundant. With mmorpg's the story is a big part of it. That's why BC and Wrath did so well. The story was engaging. WoD is just ridiculous. The Devs at blizzcon even had a hard time explaining it. I mean, if you can go to any alternate timeline and bring shit to present time, could you imagine the mess it would create for Azeroth?

Bad Guy 1- "Hey let's destroy Azeroth"
    Bad Guy 2- "Okay. But we have no army or anything."
    Bad Guy 1- "No prob. I'm going to do some alternate timeline traveling, and bring back the Lich King, Deathwing, a couple of old gods, Ragnaros, and a whole bunch of demons, elementals, and dragons, and destroy this bitch yo."

I mean, they had so many cool directions they could have went, and with the Wrathion quest chain and green meteors darting toward azeroth, it seemed like the Burning Legion was next. But not so. WoD feels like a Warcraft Allstars expansion. And even blizzcon 2011 still had alot of electricity and excitement over something as dumb seeming as MoP. This Blizzcon did not feel that way at all. And they've been pretty quiet about WoD. It just seems like they're making it up as they go along. And don't get me started on insta 90. And the continuing of dumbing down the game. Alot of stats going away, not having to gem/enchant alot of gear. The gear the changes stats with specs, etc. I don't know. I'd love for WoD to be good. I have a feeling it's not going to be.

And GC going away. I think he left because he saw WoW going in a direction he didn't like, and he finally put his foot down and decided to leave than continue going down a path he didn't believe in. While alot of people cheer him leaving, I think the game is going to suffer severely.

Elder scrolls is guaranteed to be shit, since it's from bethesda.

Wildstar looks good but itll probably be a niche game that eventually gets ruined because korean companies run it. All in all it's the 6 month wait for WoD that will hurt wow, least D3 ros and HS is coming out.

Deleted
    There are already alot of good MMOs, but even if ESO and Wildstar are good I don't think they will have alot of success at the beginning simply because of the sub fee, no one wants to pay for that anymore in new MMOs, as shown by some good or atleast decent MMOs that came out with a sub fee and had to go F2P shortly after (and I can tell you I won't try neither ESO nor Wildstar because of that), sure you can say all those games suck but then our opinions differ because I played a few of them and had alot of fun.

All that said though it's pretty obvious that WoW will keep losing subs, even if WoD is good, because the game is just old and IMO not that great anymore, but it will never ''die''.
    Last edited by mmoc1448edff70; 2013-12-31 at 09:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Before I start - this isn't a "WoW is dying" thread and I don't want to start any fanboy flame war. I enjoy MoP, it's the best expansion so far for me and I can't wait to play WoD but I have to say that year 2014 is going to be really harsh for World of Warcraft.

1. No new content until spring/summer

I hope we will get some info about WoD beta release date in january but let's be honest - not everyone is going to be invited to the beta and people like myself won't play it because I don't want to destroy my impression until the release of the final version. And we all know that no new content = subs go down. People don't want to do SoO for another half of year.

2. The Elder Scrolls Online

TES: Online is going to be released on April 4th, so yeah, WoW will lose even more subs. And I know that in the past there was a lot of "WoW killers" and all those games went F2P after 2-3 months because no one played them. But what if TES will be a good MMO? Well c'mon, it's silly that for almost 10 years there is only one good MMO on the whole market and other games can't even compete with it. I want to see a new MMO at least as good as WoW.

3. Wildstar

Yep, another new MMO game, coming out in spring. From what I've seen so far it looks really promising. It's made by Carbine (quote from Wikipedia):

Will they make a successful MMO? We have to wait and see but of course this means that WoW subs will go even more down.

So what are your conclusions? Is WoD going to bring millions of players back to WoW? Or at the end of 2014 there will be less than 5 millions subscribers?

Dicuss.

Guild Wars 2 is doing extremely well at around 1.5 mil-2 mil players logging in each day, and it's far better than WoW for a lot of people, Wildstar will not be doign anything good, it will fail, TESO might be decent however.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is doing extremely well at around 1.5 mil-2 mil players logging in each day, and it's far better than WoW for a lot of people, Wildstar will not be doign anything good, it will fail, TESO might be decent however.
    Where are those numbers coming from?

Deleted
    Oh look, it's another 'WoW killer coming & I can show with graphs' thread. Nothing will happen to WoW, WoW will die when it chooses to do itself.

/thread

Personally I think WoW does so well with subscribers due to having very low graphic requirements, along with accessible content. Newer games come out using higher graphic engines, which causes the casual gamer to upgrade parts here and there; however, with WoW that rarely needs to happen. I think It's just an accessible game for a broad group of people. No one really has to upgrade anything to get high frame rates, or use ultra settings.

I think people with great computers will go to TESO and try it out, and I'm sure people with lower end machines will too; however, people with lower end machines will go back to WoW ( I assume) because they don't have to suffer from low frame rates, and it gives nostalgic feelings returning from a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Salech View Post
    Guild Wars is a leveling/RP game. There's no PVP or endgame. It's not even a contest.

Breaking News: People can play more than one game at the same time.

GW2 servers are empty and no one plays it, with tons of people getting their refunds cause the game was beyond awful, if you meant 1m characters/alts logging in each day maybe it would be believable, though unlikely.

Deleted
    I really hope Wildstar on Elder Scrolls do really well.

MoP has been (for me) the best raiding expansion ever, I put part of this down to the success of GW2.

More competition is a good thing not a bad thing.

I don't care if WoW has 30 million subs or 3 million subs, as long as they have enough that it does not effect raiding with my guild, which is my main focus.

All the way through MoP there has been sub decline but we have had 3 very very solid Tiers.

I am not a blizzard share holder and I don't care about sub numbers I just want to raid with my guild.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Breaking News: People can play more than one game at the same time.
    Don't come in here and write nonsense like that!

I'm not interested in any of these games.

I don't even know what Wildstar is about and what makes TES great is not going to work in MP.

Deleted
    I dont really care about other MMO's but I agree that the coming year will really test WoW and it's playerbase.

No new content for the first half year of 2014 will be painfull. Me and my friends are already "done" with 5.4 and basically with MoP aswell.
    Then there is the new expansion itself wich still seems/feels very empty so far and brings changes that I am not looking forward too at all. Plus, the WoD story seems to be dragged in by its hair and doesnt feel like the next step in WoW.

I guess time will tell what happens, but my prediction would be that subscription levels will be at a new low at the start of WoD and the game will be mostly played by a new generation of players.

10+ Year Old Account
    New competitors for WoW? That's a good thing for us, hopefully we will have more.

People going to fall for that old NCSoft crap again? Come on.

At least Bethesda will probably defend their IP and not let it sink as fast as SWTOR did. They won't be able to compete with WoW unless they throw some SWTOR money at it or maybe just charge everyone for horse armor again, plus they might need a time machine to make sufficient content before April (Another huge SWTOR problem).

And with that comes high pressure to sell product, and quarterly dates to be met or people start getting fired. AKA Going F2P Within first two years or less, unless there is a substantial sub rate, which I doubt since that model does not appear to work for any MMO but WoW. It's an old form of monetary payment that I don't think works going forward against all the free games these days.

My biggest gripe about these competitors is that a Fallout MMO would have been vastly cooler imo and something different to play for a change, I just think most people have already decided what their fantasy MMO is and it's not going to change until they stop playing the genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    You forgot about EverQuest next.

I don't think anyone mentioned "WoW Killer" - to the summary of the 2nd poster. He's just stating the obvious.

Personally, I've just bought a WoW 60-day gamecard as I want to entertain my nostalgia and get my druid up to 90 - maybe my Warlock - I've heard that is the easiest dps class to play at the moment (I've got one of all at 80 or 85 excluding a hunter and monk)

As more F2P titles come out, as more mmo's in general come out, WoW's numbers will be chipped away - chances are if you're trying something else, you're looking for something "fresh". I don't think WoW will die anytime soon, but will subs be down next year this time compared to now? I would guess so.