Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Hate toward arenas

It seems many players hate arenas and think it destroyed this game's PvP.
    Well, I always wondered why, may I know ?
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2014-01-30 at 12:27 PM.

Because it dictates PvP balance.

Deleted
    Well... It would dictate PvP balance only if that concept had an existance in WoW.

15+ Year Old Account
    World of WARcraft.
    PvP should be massive battles, between alliance and horde. Not skirmishes that are called 'Arena Battles'
    Give back Tarren Mill vs Southshore, THAT was PvP

Quote Originally Posted by .Nensec View Post
    Then why did no one do it as soon as BGs came out? When BGs came out TM vs SS died instantly. It was only done in the first place because it had the best spawn points when you died and because there was nothing else to do.

On topic, I will never forgive arena for forcing the WF totem to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Trix View Post
    Then why did no one do it as soon as BGs came out? When BGs came out TM vs SS died instantly. It was only done in the first place because it had the best spawn points when you died and because there was nothing else to do.

On topic, I will never forgive arena for forcing the WF totem to change.
    Nobody did south shore battles anymore because rewards were granted by playing bgs. If they had implemented a pvp system that worked with south shore battles people would have continued their battles there.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaidlol View Post
    Nobody did south shore battles anymore because rewards were granted by playing bgs. If they had implemented a pvp system that worked with south shore battles people would have continued their battles there.
    Uh, yeah they did. The only reason it died off is because of TBC.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Uh, yeah they did. The only reason it died off is because of TBC.
    Sure people still fought each other in open world especially in ss and places like strangle / blackrock but that was just for fun. With the introduction of the honor system, it was much more rewarding doing battlegrounds for which you had to queue in the area of the battleground (barrens / ashenvale for warsong gulch).

World of WARcraft.
    PvP should be massive battles, between alliance and horde. Not skirmishes that are called 'Arena Battles'
    Massive battles are really really boring (talking 1k vs 1k here). (source: i used to play eve online)

Quote Originally Posted by Shaidlol View Post
    Sure people still fought each other in open world especially in ss and places like strangle / blackrock but that was just for fun. With the introduction of the honor system, it was much more rewarding doing battlegrounds for which you had to queue in the area of the battleground (barrens / ashenvale for warsong gulch).
    Well yeah, that much is obvious. The way you put it made it seem like it completely died off with the introduction of BG's.

Because the best gear is reserved to people who are doing arena.
    So, the better gear, you are better in pvp in general ( world pvp or bg's)

Even if you suck, you can pay someone to carry you to cap your point.
    If you don't do arena, you will get your ass stomp
    Last edited by Phuongvi; 2014-01-30 at 03:18 PM.

First thing they have to do is fix the servers so you can 40 v 40 in open world without it crashing out or lagging so hard no one can do anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Oh the fabled tarren mill battles... everyone stood far away from other faction, sometimes one brave soul run few yards forward to throw some AOE spell into the enemy ranks.

Deleted
    World of WARcraft.
    Well that sucked.
    The most players there is in a PvP battle the worst it is.
    There's a certain point when the ammount of players makes any error irrelevant and turns the battle into a derped tempest.

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Because the best gear is reserved to people who are doing arena.
    So, the better r, you are better in pvp in general ( world pvp or bg's)

Even if you suck, you can pay someone to carry you to cap your point.
    If you don't do arena, you will get your ass stomp
    MMR makes it so you can get your points no matter how bad you are. So you don't need to get carried, you just need to have friends.
    Arena is the only thing that can defines how good you are in PvP, you could win on World PvP just because your class counter the other one or because you have a better gear. That's still the case in arena but a certain number of parameters are now considered, making your class and your gear less decisive than it is on world PvP.
    Last edited by mmocafdd20634a; 2014-01-30 at 03:16 PM.

I love not being able to do anything while silenced as a melee because a spec i dont play in a part of the game was too strong.

I also love how arenas are basically a game of "nuke the shaman" as long as there is one there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Arena is part of the reason i don't pvp anymore. Smaller scale pvp just never interested me and it becoming mandatory for pvp gearing in TBC just pushed me away from it even more.
    I hold no spite or grudge against it I can understand why it was implemented, I just fell pvp on that scale is not a great fit for what I want in an MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    Because I'm not good enough to get titles and mounts.

People hate arena because it tests your skill/gear more directly than BGs. RBGs arguably do the same thing, but there's clearly more strategy in RBGs since there's everything there is in arena PLUS more people PLUS objectives PLUS more space.

If you could get conquest points in world pvp, people would do that more. People respond to incentives. There's massive incentive to do arena and relatively none to do world pvp or large-scale battles.

It's all about incentives. There was more honor to be gotten in BGs, hence faster gear/titles. That's why BGs killed Tarren Mill vs Southshore.

Arena also introduced the ladder system where you were ranked. Being able to say you're better than x% of the players is the kind of bragging rights people enjoy. It's the same reason people use their rarest mount (I know I do). It's a prestige thing. Prestige and gear are the incentives.

Deleted
    Arenas give very little room for mistakes and 0 rewards for the failure. People hate the fact that you actually have to put work and understanding into something instead of a usual grind. If you lose you get NOTHING, and getting nothing is the worst thing to happen in a game filled with wellfare epics.
    Personally, I think this game is filled with retards that cannot PvP since up to 1.8k (?) you play against teams that flat out suck hard. So, no point in likeing something you suck in, I guess. Random bgs are easier for those people since your personal failure dictates less to the outcome of the game. Safety in numbers.

Also, balance and CC.
    Last edited by mmoc4f448e7a9a; 2014-01-30 at 10:40 PM.

I'm new to arenas and I personally can't get enough of them. They just seem fair to me, seeing as the amount of players is even on each side, and there aren't instances in which it'll be 8v1. It's frustrating when you try to PvP and you get killed by a bunch of macro spamming baddies who can't even play their own class correctly.