Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Not saying its justified, just explainable. Like going into harlem and shouting the "n" word. Repercussions are going to happen.
    first off, your comparison doesn't match with what happened here tonight...she wasn't using the google glasses to film everyone, she was filming herself, which she has every right to.

google glasses is not just made to take videos...the attack was definitely not justified as well as being stupid for happening in the first place.

Are we aboslutely sure it wasn't just because of her face? Eeesh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    She was in a dive bar with a name that is famous for inventing petrol bombs, seriously.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    I don't see how anybody could possibly understand the feelings of the attackers. If you go out to happening public places you see people pointing their cell phones everywhere as it is. THEY ARE TAKING PICTURES AND RECORDING. And if somebody is wearing google glass, they are probably TAKING PICTURES AND RECORDING. Just don't stand in their frame or be like "hey I think you recorded me, can you delete that?" boom, problem solved. Most people aren't assholes and will gladly oblige.

It's another example of some irrational curr resorting to anger and violence BEFORE attempting a diplomatic solution. I hope they win a darwin award one of these days by picking a fight with a speeding train so that future generations might be more rational.

I mean if google glass creeps you out, we're only 3 or 4 generations of integrated circuits away from inconspicuous contact lenses that have the functionality of what would be considered a super computer today. So you might as well seal yourself in a bunker and start eating your end of world supply of corned beef and dried carrots.
    It is a club, which are usually inside a building. Not exactly, public like times square. People have reasonable expectation of privacy. The club already had similar rules for cell phone, smart phone use. Last thing, you want your hillerious video of failing to ask someone out end up in the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    She was in a dive bar with a name that is famous for inventing petrol bombs, seriously.....
    There's no petrol in California brah.

I mean if google glass creeps you out, we're only 3 or 4 generations of integrated circuits away from inconspicuous contact lenses that have the functionality of what would be considered a super computer today. So you might as well seal yourself in a bunker and start eating your end of world supply of corned beef and dried carrots.
    You need to understand the backstory to what the vibe in the city is like.
    Twitter moved in, Google moved in, among others, and literally the tech folks have become an invasive species for a lot of people.
    Clearly if you go looking to "discover" a new place to drink full of angry locals, shit is going to go down. It might not be rite, but hey, people are tired of your company's busses blocking the streets, and you are confronting them while they are drinking....

I would be pissed off too if people were renting tents in their yards for 700 a month, because the rent was that damn high, while I was hearing these Tech Ceos talking about removing people from the city they find obtrusive.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

She should have never been assaulted, but I can sypathize with the patrons who were clearly annoyed with some random person recording them without consent.

Deleted
    There's no petrol in California brah.
    Yes there is, I went there once and I saw at least 1 car.

Or maybe before smart phones became so popular.
    Try busting out your phone and holding it up like you're recording the local bar patrons. I'm sure it will go well.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

15+ Year Old Account
    I actually think the camera should be removed from Google Glass then it wouldn't be a problem like this.

Yes there is, I went there once and I saw at least 1 car.
    In North America we use Gasoline, which is cooler than petrol.

Deleted
    Wat?

Do they attack everyone who takes picture with a smartphone too? Crazy stuff.

Besides that even though someone filmed you, you don't need to punch them...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Take the glasses out of the equation. She was attacked for going to a dive bar with a video recorder and filming everyone.
    I don't believe those people would have attacked her if she had been filming the bar with an actual video camera. The problem seemed to be a simple (in every meaning of the word) case of technophobia.

This whole "OH NOEZ. GOOGLEGLASS. MAH PRIVACY!" thing is somewhat irritating to read about. Apparently everybody has forgotten the cell phones that pretty much every person carries have been capable of these things for quite a while. If someone took one of those out in a bar and started randomly waving it around I don't think she would have received the same level of hostility.

Deleted
    In North America we use Gasoline, which is cooler than petrol.
    You call it Gas even though it is not a Gas, shits crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    You can sympathise with people who harassed, assaulted, and robbed a woman because she's using something you don't approve of? That's all kinds of awful.

There's nothing wrong with Google Glass. If you're worried about being recorded, you should've gotten up in arms before CCTV became a thing in most stores and streets. Or maybe before smart phones became so popular.

This story is about a bunch of hateful technophobes viciously assaulting a woman who had done nothing wrong whatsoever. Why is the thread only talking about how Google Glass is terrible, rather than the actual issue: hateful, ignorant fools taking their anger out on someone who doesn't deserve it?
    CCTV is different, while it can show up online it's not the same thing as someone taking footage of me in a place where I expect a fair degree of anonymity and posting it online for everyone to see.

Quote Originally Posted by KunkkaTheAdmiral View Post
    Wat?

Do they attack everyone who takes picture with a smartphone too? Crazy stuff.

Besides that even though someone filmed you, you don't need to punch them...
    Why not? Did not someone violate my space? Privacy.

You call it Gas even though it is not a Gas, shits crazy.
    Next time I go to the UK I'm going to ask for directions to the nearest Gas station. It will be an interesting experiment.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're in a damn dive bar, not the local pub full of jolly people. Going to a dive bar, causing an issue and expecting words to be used rather than punches is as dumb as taking roast pork to a barmitsvah. If this was a normal bar then fine this seems extreme... but this location? Come onnn don't expect anything different.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripeyhat View Post
    I don't believe those people would have attacked her if she had been filming the bar with an actual video camera. The problem seemed to be a simple (in every meaning of the word) case of technophobia.
    Lol no.
    It's backlash from the tech companies who moved into SF, being precieved as ruining the city. It's not fear of tech, it's hate of what the company has done to their home.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Next time I go to the UK I'm going to ask for directions to the nearest Gas station. It will be an interesting experiment.
    Many petrol stations do sell propane gas tanks, so it will not be as funny as you think.