Page 57 of 79 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Elian View Post
    that's the mindset here; you will see many people with 5,000-10,000+ mmo champion posts here and they will keep on telling you why Blizzard should make changes to the game to make it more convenient because they don't have "time to play"
    look at some LFR debates, you'll see what im talking about.
    And the other mindset is "This is my game, play it my way or gtfo!"

The game is almost 10 years old, and telling Blizzard to just redo the entire leveling experience is not really realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Its a terrible price personally, like you have gone through this process so many times that as much as I'd love a priest at 90 I just can't go through it again, I don;t have the time or the patience to do it. Horrid price point.
    Well, you get a free boost with WoD.
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    At first I thought that no one would ever be stupid enough to buy a level ninety character, but then I saw all the people in favor of this and couldn't help but laugh at them. They could raise the price to a thousand dollars, and people would still try to justify the cost.

"A fool and his money are soon parted".
    Yes there will always be some ppl that can afford whatever price they put out on stuff. You know why? Many ppl that play have good income or are filthy rich and dont care if something cost 10 or 100 or 1000$. Probably most wouldnt buy if they charged 1000$ but there will ALWAYS be ppl that will pay.

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowdoya View Post
    I would rather blow $60 on a bunch of Steam games that I will never get around to playing.
    Read this and chuckled. I've tried other games and I have a steam account. I try to get into other games but never spend more than a few dozen hours in them.

I guess that is the reason why I don't relate with the people that disagree with the $60 price tag, because they could spend that on (insert game here)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dontknowdoya View Post
    Eh, fair points. Although, I was attempting to point out that I found a small amount of humor in the concept of "paying to skip content that you paid for". In regards to the high price, I think it is relative to the prices of the other services.
    Everyone pays for PVP, the farm, pet battles and a lot of other things that they may not do so while this is somewhat different it's not like anyone is forced to do it. And everyone gets a free one in the expansion. I don't completely disagree with you though. It's just that the mirror of "paying to skip content" which is obvious enough rarely gets said right out. Blizzard will make out like bandits in any case on the boost. I think they really would make a lot more if they priced it lower though so I'm both skeptical of the simplicity of that argument while acknowledging that yeah, they'll make a ton of bucks with it. Those two things are not mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2014-02-28 at 08:34 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Honestly it is a bit cheap the pure amount of hours put into getting to level 90 is worth more than 60$, if they made it any cheaper no one would level the old way anymore which is not the purpose of this update. The point of this update is to give people a way to avoid doing the old leveling content in it's extreme grind but not destroy leveling all together. I can't believe people ACTUALLY expected a 20$ price range what is next people think the new expansion will be 99 cents?

I have played WoW since launch, had every class at the relative caps in most expansions and consider this to be my favourite game ever, still. I would have been completely against buying 90's every step of the way but, sadly, I can no longer say this.

Since the latest expansion I have managed a number of extra level 85's, two 86's, three 87's and an 89, I simply cannot stand to level through Panda world. I'm not here to start an argument about MoP, but many people seem to be in a similar boat from those I have met and spoken to online since the expansion was released. It's not that it's impossible to push through, but if I am finding it no fun to log in anymore, then I simply would play something else.

I won't be returning for WoD as I previously expected I would because I won't be paying £40+ for a boost past Pandaria and I don't want to put myself through the levelling process in that area anymore. I never liked the aesthetic as it (for me) takes me out of the Warcraft feel of the game and into something very different indeed, which I am not interested in.

As a consumer I can safely say that an inexpensive way to skip this would have brought me back, I'd happily level 1-85, skip Pandaria and pay for the 90 boost. I won't pay £40 for the privilege though.

I'm enjoying Rift (Storm legion has been a big eye opener for me) and soon TESO, so it's not a problem for me, I just thought I'd explain the thought process behind why myself, and, presumably, others may not be willing to pay so much, but would enjoy the chance to skip certain areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    Well, you get a free boost with WoD.
    I want to use that for a hunter

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durantye View Post
    Honestly it is a bit cheap the pure amount of hours put into getting to level 90 is worth more than 60$, if they made it any cheaper no one would level the old way anymore which is not the purpose of this update.
    I can assure you, at $40 I would only get one, its a high enough price to rule out getting more than that but enough to make me think about getting one. I'm not going to level the old way anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GrinningMan View Post
    It's probably already been said, but there really is no winning with this crowd.

'BAWWWW It's 60 bucks! They just want our money!'

Okay, we'll drop the price.

'BAWWWW IT'S CHEAPENING IT FOR THOSE OF US THAT LEVELED!!'

Just no winning.
    Actually, if they had just removed the whole ''buy a 90 for 60 bucks'' thing that would be somewhat ''winning''. Most people are not complaining that its too cheap or expensive, they just want it gone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Actually, if they had just removed the whole ''buy a 90 for 60 bucks'' thing that would be somewhat ''winning''. Most people are not complaining that its too cheap or expensive, they just want it gone.
    No they aren't ,and no, they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    My issue is not that I want the boost removed it is that Blizzard have come to the realisation that much of the levelling content is no longer fit for purpose and rather than look for solutions to the problem they have decided to monetise it. If they cannot find a way to make levelling enjoyable they should most certainly not be looking to charge their customers extra for their failure to deliver enjoyable levelling content and should allow existing players to boost their characters for free.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    I want to use that for a hunter

- - - Updated - - -

I can assure you, at $40 I would only get one, its a high enough price to rule out getting more than that but enough to make me think about getting one. I'm not going to level the old way anyway.
    So you complain because you already have plans for your WoD included boost? If you want an account full of 90s, pay the price or do the grind. I cannot understand for the life of me, why exactly $60 is too expensive. Listen, I work full time, have a social life, time with the gf, etc.. I have to think long and hard about any character I want to max level. You mean you cant scrounge another 20$ to boost? There is a solution, its called questing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost416 View Post
    So you complain because you already have plans for your WoD included boost? If you want an account full of 90s, pay the price or do the grind. I cannot understand for the life of me, why exactly $60 is too expensive. Listen, I work full time, have a social life, time with the gf, etc.. I have to think long and hard about any character I want to max level. You mean you cant scrounge another 20$ to boost? There is a solution, its called questing.
    Why should he have to pay any extra? In my opinion the fact that Blizzard charge a box fee as well as a monthly subscription to play WOW places an onus on them to provide us with enjoyable content. If Blizzard are unable to provide an enjoyable levelling experience then they should remove the mandatory need for every player to play through it before reaching the content they enjoy.

Deleted
    I'm a bit torn about the price - or about this whole "Buy a lvl 90) character tbh. Price wise I guess it's okay when you look at other things you can buy within the game or server/faction change etc.

Had it been much cheaper, more would probably do it - say 50 US Dollars for 1 and 2 for 100. That would probably make even more people buy it, since heck, 2 characters to 90 for 100 bucks, that's not unreasonable is it? Paying 120 bucks just doesn't have the same ring about it, although it's probably more about the mentality that 100 is okay but 120 is omg.

In any case. If they lower the price too much, I fear that we'll end up seeing a lot of people buying their way to lvl 90. Some may be new players who just wanna play with their friends (who're already lvl 100) and some might be seasoned players who just cbf leveling another alt. The issue with this, is that you end up with players who hit lvl 100 and have basically no clue on how to play their class. Now jump into LFR and have fun with that.

I don't see myself spending money on a lvl 90 character tbh. I get the 1 free lvl 90 with WoD and I already have several alts. With serious raiding being 20 man, lots of people already have to pay for server/faction change or maybe even both and I just think there's way too many things we have to pay for already tbh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost416 View Post
    I'm not 'complaining' just giving my reason why I think $60 is too much. I don't personally worry about it too much, I doubt I could kit out so many 90s. I'm just happy I get a free one, I don't agree with the title 'disgust' its not something I'm anywhere near passionate about to be disgusted.

You can'f for the life of you understand why $60 is too expensive because you are you, and I am me, we have different lives completely, no need for aggro, I work full time, I have 2 kids and no social life, I have a mortgage, a car, nursery fees, bills etc etc, whats your point?
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-02-28 at 02:13 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercentric View Post
    How do they fix this problem? I don't know the best one, but there are solutions. My suggestion would be to induce a level squish (they're doing a stat squish anyway) and stagger their expansions leveling zones. Right now you have to level up through each expansion, linearly. Just squash it down so there are less levels, instead of playing in each zone for 30 minutes and out-leveling it make it so each zone actually lasts and players can pick 6-7 zones to level to the new max level (ignoring the latest expansion of course).
    But how is that changing anything? It is still the same content. Why does it matter that you only have to do half of a zone before you can move on? Besides you don't have to do half of a zone, but it is more efficent to do part of a zone and move on because you'll be doing green quests (which reward less experience then the orange/yellow if you move on).

As of right now there are two ways to get to 90:
    • Get to level 15 and queue up via LFD all the way without ever leaving a city
    • Visit 26 to 30 zones on your way to level 90, often as little as 2 hours in each before you out-level and out-green all the quests there
    why is that broken? What is wrong with leveling up just with LFD. Or with spending as much time as you want in a zone. Why should people be forced to see an entire zone through while leveling? You can still choose to do the entire zone, why should it matter if you are getting a trickle or a lot of experience if seeing the content is what matters?

This is why leveling isn't broken. Because there is nothing wrong with leveling. Its fast, its easy, and you can skip content that you want to. You can skip one zone in WotLK on one alt and do it on another to keep things fresh. But that is apparently broken and you should be forced to do an entire zone with out being given a choice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xcess View Post
    No I am comparing a lvl 20 subbed lets say he locked his exp gain so he cant go past lvl 20 to the lvl 20 playing for free. The subbed 20 gets extra armour duribility so it means his armour is stronger he can mount faster he can have increased chance at making more mats he gets mass resurrection he gets faster flight point rides he he generates more gold, honor justice than the free 20. If thats not the definition of stronger better and more advantage then what is
    But only if they are in a guild. A level 20 that is not in a guild is exactly the same as a level 20 on the starter edition. But that still makes a subscription pay to win, which makes the discussion of a boost being pay to win irrelevant. As the game has always been pay to win so everything offered by the game is pay to win.

- - - Updated - - -

You say you don't have time to level a character and your first reaction is to shell out money to compensate for this? Why are you not pressuring Blizzard to redesign and fix their leveling system if it's so tedious?
    Because after you do something X amount of times it becomes not so fresh. It doesn't matter what Blizzard does eventually it will become old and not new. Also eventually everyone will have alts that are above that content (unless they start over) so it is a redesign that has little pay off and even littler pay off the each time someone does it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Why should he have to pay any extra? In my opinion the fact that Blizzard charge a box fee as well as a monthly subscription to play WOW places an onus on them to provide us with enjoyable content. If Blizzard are unable to provide an enjoyable leveling experience then they should remove the mandatory need for every player to play through it before reaching the content they enjoy.
    Yes or No, Did you enjoy leveling your first time through the content? Blizzard has met your onus. However the irony is you've been against the boost while now saying that Blizzard should remove the mandatory need for every player to play through leveling content. Which they did, but are bad for doing it...
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

10+ Year Old Account
    You say you don't have time to level a character and your first reaction is to shell out money to compensate for this? Why are you not pressuring Blizzard to redesign and fix their leveling system if it's so tedious?
    For myself, not the person you were responding to:

I have no desire to level anymore. Questing is boring, tedious, and above all, time consuming. Why would I waste 40 hours of playtime to level a character when I could boost a character, and play at max level for that same 40 hours? It's like telling me I need to build a house with my own hands rather than pay to have my house built. If I am an adult, and have the deep pockets to do so, why would I not take advantage of this service?

If you people want to spend 80 hours doing the same thing I can do in 40 with a boost, be my guest. I always believed in "Work smart, not hard." Only thing hard work gets you is more hard work. I would rather just get to 90, level to 100, and get on with the damn game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Because after you do something X amount of times it becomes not so fresh. It doesn't matter what Blizzard does eventually it will become old and not new. Also eventually everyone will have alts that are above that content (unless they start over) so it is a redesign that has little pay off and even littler pay off the each time someone does it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge

I have no desire to level anymore. Questing is boring, tedious, and above all, time consuming. Why would I waste 40 hours of playtime to level a character when I could boost a character, and play at max level for that same 40 hours? It's like telling me I need to build a house with my own hands rather than pay to have my house built. If I am an adult, and have the deep pockets to do so, why would I not take advantage of this service?

If you people want to spend 80 hours doing the same thing I can do in 40 with a boost, be my guest. I always believed in "Work smart, not hard." Only thing hard work gets you is more hard work. I would rather just get to 90, level to 100, and get on with the damn game.
    I'm going Ditto off these two arguments. Both are very well stated regarding why this isn't laziness on Blizz's part regarding old content. I don't care how good old content is. By the 6th-7th time, it's not nearly as enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    Yes or No, Did you enjoy leveling your first time through the content? Blizzard has met your onus. However the irony is you've been against the boost while now saying that Blizzard should remove the mandatory need for every player to play through leveling content. Which they did, but are bad for doing it...
    Yes I did otherwise I would not have stuck around to play the game and rewarded Blizzard each month, for seven years, with £9 and £20-£30 every time they release an expansion. Eh? What? That is not English. If Blizzard want us to continue to pay them it is up to them to provide enjoyable content for the entire duration someone is a customer not once a few years ago. Thank you for telling me what I have or have not been in favour of and I guess we can, now, add irony to the list of things you do understand. I have never been against the boost I have, however, always been against Blizzard charging for it. Blizzard are not removing the mandatory need for players to play through levelling content they are allowing players to skip it by either purchasing WOD or paying $60.

Anyway I now look forward to where you respond by arguing against what you claim I have written rather than what I actually written. If you like I could cut out the middleman and you could argue with yourself as it looks like you don't actually read anyone's posts before replying.
    Last edited by Pann; 2014-02-28 at 07:03 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmanderp View Post
    The purpose of this thread is to help understand why some people are crying out about this (possible) number for the cost. I personally think it is a reasonable price for the amount of content that you are skipping.
    Because they can't afford it.
    If it was cheaper, they'd cry about how everyone would buy 90's all the time.

Some people will never be satisfied and will find any and all change to complain about, no matter how ridiculous their complaint is.

But how is that changing anything? It is still the same content. Why does it matter that you only have to do half of a zone before you can move on?
    One of the problems with the current leveling paradigm is that players get to do 1/3rd of a zone and then out-level that zone. This invalidates a player's choice to level in a zone because it no longer becomes effective to level there. It makes questing more enjoyable because the player doesn't have to spend as much time traveling/zone hopping.

Besides you don't have to do half of a zone, but it is more efficent to do part of a zone and move on because you'll be doing green quests (which reward less experience then the orange/yellow if you move on).
    This is the point that a level squish would address. The quests rewards/levels would be scaled in such a way that this would not happen.

why is that broken? What is wrong with leveling up just with LFD. Or with spending as much time as you want in a zone. Why should people be forced to see an entire zone through while leveling? You can still choose to do the entire zone, why should it matter if you are getting a trickle or a lot of experience if seeing the content is what matters?
    Uh... the fact that people are willing to pay $60 to skip leveling it speaks volumes about it. People do not enjoy leveling.

This is why leveling isn't broken. Because there is nothing wrong with leveling. Its fast, its easy, and you can skip content that you want to. You can skip one zone in WotLK on one alt and do it on another to keep things fresh.
    A level squish with staggered zones would give the players more freedom. You COULD do an entire zone if you want. Or you could bail on it halfway through and move to another zone.

But that is apparently broken and you should be forced to do an entire zone with out being given a choice.
    How did you even get this from what I said? Nothing would be forcing a player to do an entire zone.

If that's the case, why doesn't Blizzard re-visit leveling for veteran players? More BoA gear? Double/triple all current BoA gear's EXP rates? These are just suggestions, there are many other possible solutions. Why are you satisfied with a cash transaction being the solution to this problem? I want to see you defend it from a design stand point of view. How is the exchange of real money for a level 90 character good game design?