10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    Then it plummets between 6.2 and 6.3. I am a fanboy, and have even been a white knight at times. But if they take away one of my favorite aspects, I will close up shop instantly. I main a Druid. Can't use my Swift Flight Form in Draenor? I'm out.
    The funny thing is that if the world is designed around no flying - then it's not coming back, at least not in a quick way.

On top of that, if subs plummet due to this, by the time they get around to patching it back in, the damage will have already been done.

And before you know it, this expansion too, is a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Since Blizzard are evening considering this, there must have been a lot of feedback to take it away.
    Removing no flying is essentially just adding another timesink into the game - much akin to dailies and rep in Mists.

This just removes the shortcuts, as well as the convenience, which forces you to play for additional time and maximizes your subscription versus the content.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    at the moment, yes. that's why i said one of many steps. another step would be putting something people want (or need) in the world. blizzard has a very powerful motivational tool in their hands - a carrot on a stick. even the most tedious of the most uncomfortable activities can suddenly become fun if there's a reward at the end of the tunnel.
    A stick without a carrot is still just a stick.
    Garrosh: "LOK'TAR! HAVE A HAMBURGER."

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

It's not that big of a deal. It's just fucking flying. Get a grip.

I would rather go back to SWTOR and make sure Blizz knows they lost a fanboy and the $1k a year I spend on this game is now going to Bioware.
    Ironically enough, TOR's companion system is strangely similar to the whole 'garrison' idea with NPC followers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    The funny thing is that if the world is designed around no flying - then it's not coming back, at least not in a quick way.

On top of that, if subs plummet due to this, by the time they get around to patching it back in, the damage will have already been done.

If it is designed for no-flying, we will find out in Beta. If flying will ever work, it has to be tested. So, if there is flying in Beta, it will lend more credence to the idea there will be flying in 6.1. But, until BattleNet says something other than the mention about the return in 6.1, I won't sweat it. But, the very SECOND they announce it will not return, I am buying mounts for a few lucky folks in this thread, and then this fanboy is taking his wallet elsewhere. I did not play for 7 years and 10k+ achievement points to only get HALF of what my mount can do.

My number of posts is based on my enjoyment of discussing the game. Plus, I have 6 monitors at work and already had stuff on the other 5. Only thing I am hardcore about is making sure we are not the victims of a new breed of asshat devs in a game I've played for 7 years. I've been playing Blizz games since Orcs vs Humans and the original Diablo. The fact that they can't get their shit together, and everyone is posting their opinions on multiple mutlimedia sites, makes me miss Greg Street even more.
    You can try any number of methods you want for rationalizing the amount of time you spend on the forums but it will not reconcile that with the fact that most of the WoW playerbase spends 0 minutes ever visiting forums. Grats to you for having 6 monitors on which to plaster things on at work - at 3300 posts, that is a very significant amount of time invested anyway. The amount of time you spend on MMO-Champ while at work alone is more time than many, many players spend in WoW for their entire week.

Look, I get that you may fall into someone's definition of casual while playing the game. That's cool and there's nothing wrong with that, but when you take the total life investment you have made into WoW with your gametime and the massive amount of time you spend on the forums about WoW, you are anything but casual and certainly cannot expect to be lumped into some group with the average player. The average player doesn't spend 10 minutes on a forum a month, let alone hours a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Infernix View Post
    Ironically enough, TOR's companion system is strangely similar to the whole 'garrison' idea with NPC followers.
    Yep, if I can't have flight, I might as well have a light saber

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raeln View Post
    You can try any number of methods you want for rationalizing the amount of time you spend on the forums but it will not reconcile that with the fact that most of the WoW playerbase spends 0 minutes ever visiting forums. Grats to you for having 6 monitors on which to plaster things on at work - at 3300 posts, that is a very significant amount of time invested anyway. The amount of time you spend on MMO-Champ while at work alone is more time than many, many players spend in WoW for their entire week.

Look, I get that you may fall into someone's definition of casual while playing the game. That's cool and there's nothing wrong with that, but when you take the total life investment you have made into WoW with your gametime and the massive amount of time you spend on the forums about WoW, you are anything but casual and certainly cannot expect to be lumped into some group with the average player. The average player doesn't spend 10 minutes on a forum a month, let alone hours a day.
    I think you are confusing "hardcore" with "passionate".

Then it plummets between 6.2 and 6.3. I am a fanboy, and have even been a white knight at times. But if they take away one of my favorite aspects, I will close up shop instantly. I main a Druid. Can't use my Swift Flight Form in Draenor? I'm out.
    If it makes you feel better, I haven't even made the decision to buy WoD at all. I'm waiting to find out if endgame is just going to be more MoP 2.0 raid or die.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyray View Post
    at the moment, yes. that's why i said one of many steps. another step would be putting something people want (or need) in the world. blizzard has a very powerful motivational tool in their hands - a carrot on a stick. even the most tedious of the most uncomfortable activities can suddenly become fun if there's a reward at the end of the tunnel.

Putting up a carrot on a stick to make players do tedious stuff is terrible gameplay. Players should enjoy their time spent with the game. It's a fact that a shit ton of people enjoy flying, not even just because it's fast and comfortable, but just because flying is fun. Why were people so excited when flying was introduced in BC? Because flying is inherently cool. It's an age old dream of humans to be able to fly. Seeing the world from above = super fucking cool.

Taking something fun away is ALWAYS a crappy idea. Even moreso when it's done for fidgety reasons. Remove flying for more immersion, but add garrison followers that will gather and get gear for you, so the player has to do even less and can do more city afk-ing? It lacks internal logic.

Besides, what possible carrot on a stick could Blizzard add to make me able to roleplay with my low level friends again in places like Northrend? We needed HGWT for that, we had awesome evenings because of HGWT, and now we can't do it anymore. For nothing, our fun was nerfed hard.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    from their own lazy staff

if they don't want to spend the time and money to implement the game features then I don't want to spend the time and money to play it

I'd like to continue playing the game I bought, not have half of it removed for their convenience while the price remains the same
    If there's even a glimmer of a chance that flying will be happening in Draenor they have to have it ready to go before launch so laziness can't be a factor.

This just removes the shortcuts, as well as the convenience, which forces you to play for additional time and maximizes your subscription versus the content.
    No matter what anyone says, this is the real reason. MMOs need timesinks, removing flying is just another timesink.

The end.

PS. No flying won't last. There are so many other games out there to play, people (myself included) will have no problem unsubbing as a way of impacting the decision and just going to another game. If , by the time I hit 100, I cannot fly in the new zones, off to another game I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Really?....
    Really?

I feel bad for puppies in puppy mills. I feel bad for child labourers in the 3rd world. I feel bad for cancer sufferers.

A billionaire business receiving criticism on their products? Why the fuck would you feel bad about that?
    I feel bad in the sense that they are trying to make the game interesting and people still whine lol. THat's what I meant. Like when a music artist tries to change things up or something and make their style more interesting, and people will complain because it's less pop music-like or something. This change will be more interesting than just flying to a mob and killing it, or flying to a mineral node.

Flying ruined this game. It has infected the mindset of the player population as demonstrated here...

I was 100% for sure not buying WoD at launch, whether I bought it later depended on how much of a pain it would be to acquire flying. If Blizz never brings flying back, I will never resub to this game again.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it makes you feel better, I haven't even made the decision to buy WoD at all. I'm waiting to find out if endgame is just going to be more MoP 2.0 raid or die.
    I've already purchased the CE for the new flying mount, and pet, and have purchased 3 boosts. I will enjoy them all until 6.1, and then find out if I will continue to enjoy them, or delete the account.

i'm pretty sure they designing dreanor with assumption that flying is coming back. no vanilla-style blank areas behind a mountain etc.

they're not that stupid, they have to be ready to bring flying back in no time in case shit hits the fan.

That seems to be a fairly popular position to be taking. I decided months ago to unsub and as more and more bad news about WoD came out, I decided to hold off on pre-ordering...and then decided to hold off on ordering WoD at all. I came to the conclusion that I'd be better off just sitting and waiting to see how how WoD shaped up and how the final product turned out.

First time ever for me to not be in on day-one of a new expansion for WoW. I simply don't care enough to invest any more money into a game that is moving more and more away from the things that I enjoy about it.

It would feel bit weird and slow at start, but after later I think this could be a great chance.

i personally cant wait, flying mounts are the worst thing that ever happened in wow, it basically gives every class stealth, and the ability to avoid mobs/content, which is something that only stealthlys should be able to do. you shouldnt be able to just go /get where ever you want w/o FIGHTING your way their, you needa a certain node or item in the world? fight for it, dont just drop down from the sky, i mean, if everyone can fly like they can now how is it even a multi player game? i NEVER see players walking anymore, walking is kinda the trade mark of mmos, its how you meet other players, if everyone is flying their is lil to no interaction except for the 3secs they land and take off again, also makes world pvp a pain in the ass. curse TBC for introducing them at all.

if flying is EVER allowed in WOD it should be like doing the legendary quest chain for your cloak, long and hard, so long and hard you might NEVER get it. and it SHOULD NOT COST ANY GOLD, receaving it should be based on an achivement, took me over 5years to get enough gold for my max flying, at this point i wish i didnt spend the gold at all ,flgithpaths ROCK! ingame breaks to mess w/ UI make a samich or go bio

Quote Originally Posted by Forsworn Knight View Post
    It's not that big of a deal. It's just fucking flying. Get a grip.

For a lot of players, flying is an integral part of their enjoyment of this game. How would you feel if we took raids or arenas away? Get a grip.