View Poll Results: Do you like How I met your mother?

Voters
79. This poll is closed
  • Yes!

59 74.68%
  • No...

20 25.32%
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    My high school required Latin, and strongly encouraged ancient Greek. And I'm not that old, I went to high school in the late 90s. I guess that's the Jesuits for you. I never even touched them in university, but they served me well.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    My high school required Latin, and strongly encouraged ancient Greek. And I'm not that old, I went to high school in the late 90s. I guess that's the Jesuits for you. I never even touched them in university, but they served me well.
    Graduated in '01 and they were already pushing Spanish as the required language since 6 years prior in middle school. So I don't know what area you came from, but nowhere I knew was pushing anything other than French or Spanish due to our borders. Interesting though. I would have much preferred to learn a less useful, but more intellectual or cultural language than the common choices. If I had my way I would have learned Gaelic, but that language is even dying out in its native country. Kinda sad when beautiful languages have to have societies create special concepts to prevent their own language from dying out....but yeah...this is far more involved conversation than this thread deserves lol.
    BAD WOLF

I grew up in NY.

10+ Year Old Account
    I grew up in NY.
    Well that makes sense. Us uncivilized folks in the rest of 'Murica have to learn Neo Latin...which we call Spanish.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    So many people pissed off lol. I wonder why, the ending showed alot:

Even the bests of friendships fade.
    Some people never change.
    Never give up on your dreams.
    2 people with the same tendencies dont work together
    Love your loved ones, they might not be there tomorrow.
    Its perfectly fine to fuck someone you call aunt.

It's not happy dandy sweet ending, its a reality one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    So many people pissed off lol. I wonder why, the ending showed alot:

Even the bests of friendships fade.
    Some people never change.
    Never give up on your dreams.
    2 people with the same tendencies dont work together
    Love your loved ones, they might not be there tomorrow.
    Its perfectly fine to fuck someone you call aunt.

It's not happy dandy sweet ending, its a reality one.
    No. The ending actually makes sense to the overall arc of HIMYM. It truly does. It explains so much. However, here is the problem.

That ending episode ruined so much fucking development for Barney and Robin, it made the past 3 seasons of HIMYM so meaningless its a joke now. We have seen so many of these characters relive their moments and have the same developments but ALL OF A SUDDEN, OUT OF NOWHERE, some episode comes in and just changes all of that and returns all of that. Barney goes back to his usual style, finds his love for his child. Robin ONCE AGAIN chose work over love. Marshall and Lily still poop. Ted makes sense I guess. So in reality, the problem wasn't anyone but just Robin and Barney.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    No. The ending actually makes sense to the overall arc of HIMYM. It truly does. It explains so much. However, here is the problem.

That ending episode ruined so much fucking development for Barney and Robin, it made the past 3 seasons of HIMYM so meaningless its a joke now. We have seen so many of these characters relive their moments and have the same developments but ALL OF A SUDDEN, OUT OF NOWHERE, some episode comes in and just changes all of that and returns all of that. Barney goes back to his usual style, finds his love for his child. Robin ONCE AGAIN chose work over love. Marshall and Lily still poop. Ted makes sense I guess. So in reality, the problem wasn't anyone but just Robin and Barney.
    Yeah I think it wouldn't have been nearly so bad if they hadn't spent the entire season on Barney and Robins wedding only to have them get divorced in the last episode. They should have only spent at most half the season on the wedding, and that i think is a little long, and drawn out the last episode more. There was just too much story crammed into that hour.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post

Think the creators realized Barney and Robin were the favourite characters. And they tried to work with that. + Every1 met Tracy BECAUSE of the wedding. She was in the wedding band, she helped Robin, she helped Barney, She gave marshall a ride, she got on the train with lily, etc.

Honestly, I hated the ending.

Apparently, the ending had already been filmed back in like the second season, and my god, it shows. It seems to completely throw out all of the characters' development and growth over the course of all these years. It seems like a really soured attempt to push "realism" in a show that, while it has its share of touching moments, is meant to be a much more joyful affair.

Personally, I think they should have stopped at Ted meeting "the Mother", and just wrap it up from there, giving all of the couples their own "happy ending". More than anything, though, I thought their treatment of Barney was kind of shitty, completely reverting him to his more sleezeball incarnation, before forcing a child upon him, in a vain attempt to give him a "happy ending" that just didn't fit for the character. If anything, the scene where Robin and Barney wake up in their neighbor's room, tending to the child, should have spurred them into adopting, as I think that would have been a more satisfying conclusion.

As for the Mother, Traci; she was just poorly handled throughout the season. She didn't act anything even remotely close to "human". She was too perfect, solved everyone's problems, and was basically just "female Ted" in personality. Aside from looking incredibly young, I had no real qualms with the actress herself, though. They just needed to take the time to flesh her out as a person all her own, really incorporate her in the story, and maybe have her and Ted initially dislike each other, and spend the season showing how they came to love each other.

I also sort of feel like they could have done a bit more with Marshall and Lily. They went to pretty absurd lengths to let us know how shitty their lives have gotten; that's a fuckton of baggage to throw at people in the FINAL GODDAMN EPISODE, when really, we're just hoping to see how awesome everyone's lives wind up being. There is also a big deal made out of "everyone drifting apart", which again, is a depressing notion for a show about *friendship*, but moreover, it didn't even make sense for them to all be drifting apart.

This last season was a bit of a drag, but I still really like the show overall. The finale just kind of soured the overarcing story I think, though. Definitely one I'm going to mentally block-out, anyways :P

So my response to the ending of How I met your Mother:

Well, the DVD edition is going to have "very different" ending..
    http://mashable.com/2014/04/07/how-i...te-ending-dvd/
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

That's kind of a dick move...."HEY, there's an alternate ending which will probably sit much better with the majority of the fanbase........but you gotta buy the collector's edition DVD set to see it!!!"

10+ Year Old Account
    That's kind of a dick move...."HEY, there's an alternate ending which will probably sit much better with the majority of the fanbase........but you gotta buy the collector's edition DVD set to see it!!!"
    I find it ironic in light of this that someone just posted a picture related to ME3...
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    or have access to youtube? you know it's going to be put up on line before the collectors edition is even available to buy... right?
    Hi