Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    that's funny the link in the *first line* (!) of your post uses the correct *than* but you somehow fail to acknowledge it in your title. very sad indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    Can I just ask, is this because you feel 1 group might be either more deserving, or is less serious, or is it because you can identify more with a child/young woman?
    Elements of both. I don't feel prisoners "deserve" to be raped. I don't believe in abusing prisoners. I just don't feel much sympathy for people that have placed themselves in a state of war with the society around them, to use an old phrase from political theory class. State of war being they have willingly chosen not to follow the rules society has set for commodious living. I'll reiterate, I don't believe they deserve rape, and it should be stamped out when it happen. Find the individuals or gangs responsible, and penalize them within the confines of the law.

Rape is serious, regardless of the victim. But a child or woman who is assaulted and raped while minding their own business and behaving perfectly fine troubles me more than criminals acting like criminals towards criminals in an environment where criminals are concentrated.

Deleted
    I always knew that the US was a twisted country. Country who was created upon genocide of native americans (about 100 milion dead, holocaust is nothing compared to that crime), what else could come up from country like that ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Are there people really, just casually okay with people being raped, just because they are in prison?
    Boggles my mind for anyone to shug and say, "ooo the rapes are happening in prison" unsurprised, then move on. That is a problem. Our prison system isnt made purely for punishment, its for the rehabilitation, and if a person is continually raped in prison, he isnt going to become rehabilitated back into society.
    Pisses me off too. The people in those prisons, despite their crimes, are still human and still deserve human rights. They were sentenced to prison, not rape. They should be protected from each other. As I said earlier, the fact that its a cultural joke that going to prison means "getting raped in the ass" (see: Office Space) is enough that we should be embarrassed by it.

I'd argue that by even tacitly allowing rape to occur, you're violating the 8th Amendment, "cruel and unusual punishment."
    Putin khuliyo

Massively misleading thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Elements of both. I don't feel prisoners "deserve" to be raped. I don't believe in abusing prisoners. I just don't feel much sympathy for people that have placed themselves in a state of war with the society around them, to use an old phrase from political theory class. State of war being they have willingly chosen not to follow the rules society has set for commodious living. I'll reiterate, I don't believe they deserve rape, and it should be stamped out when it happen. Find the individuals or gangs responsible, and penalize them within the confines of the law.

Rape is serious, regardless of the victim. But a child or woman who is assaulted and raped while minding their own business and behaving perfectly fine troubles me more than criminals acting like criminals towards criminals in an environment where criminals are concentrated.
    What if the prisoner was wrongly convicted?

Can I also ask, what if a man is just minding his business and behaving perfectly fine gets raped?

Quote Originally Posted by tehealadin View Post
    What if the prisoner was wrongly convicted?

Can I also ask, what if a man is just minding his business and behaving perfectly fine gets raped?
    For the second one I've already posted on that, on the few occasions where it has happened to men they are victims of the same caliber as women or children. When there was a gang of youths attacking and sexually assaulting men back in the late 90s, the authorities treated it just as seriously as if the victims were women or kids.

As for the wrongly convicted, I'd reserve judgement until I knew he was actually wrongly convicted. They all claim they are. That doesn't make it true. Again, it's irrelevant either way, as I don't condone the rape of prisoners. I am just not affected by it like I am when an innocent civilian is raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    No, right should be right. Sexual assault includes unwanted touching, among other things.
    Unwanted touching is sexual harassment, not assault.

Shoo off with your misinformation, stop spreading lies.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Nothing quite so pathetic as refusing to realize this is a serious problem that requires people to take it seriously for once. Fixing gender problems isn't a matter of either/or; you can do both. If you don't care about sexual violence when it happens to men, then you're not pro-equality and have no room to speak against sexual violence that occurs against women. Stop being a scumbag.
    Want to know the best part,? The roles are reversed for this when it was the, "be nice to our female passengers," sign we had last week or so, and now the other side gets the chance ot give their view on a thing such as this, and whoolah, it's "irrelevant," because it's prison, or doesn't "matter as much," because it's males and in prison. It's very cute to watch. That's why I chose and made it clear, that it was equality for everyone, I KNEW crap like this would sprout up and we'd see them rear their true ugly faces.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mihalik View Post
    I said that where and when? I don't understand why need to flip this around and come up with unrelated attacks to it. So far nobody in this thread argued that. Literally nobody. (Unless I missed like a post or something.) Again what I was saying is that rape in prison has become institutionalized and even socially acceptable. As the writers of both articles point out, it's a morally bankrupt system.

And again if you pay attention to the OP or read the articles you might notice that female and minors inmates experience this as well. Only difference is that in their case they are usually victimized by staff and they are usually coerced through blackmail or applying pressure, instead of outright physical violence. But simply because around 95% of inmates are male, they take the blunt of this.
    You literally just pulled the, "females experience this too," crap that we shun when it's roles reversed?

Thanks for fueling that crap fest to continue.
    Last edited by Realsykes; 2014-06-15 at 03:00 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Nothing quite so pathetic as refusing to realize this is a serious problem that requires people to take it seriously for once. Fixing gender problems isn't a matter of either/or; you can do both. If you don't care about sexual violence when it happens to men, then you're not pro-equality and have no room to speak against sexual violence that occurs against women. Stop being a scumbag.
    The saddest part is that regardless of gender the victims typically face the same overall issues such as societal pressure and lack of belief. How we fix those things I don't know but identifying what the issues are is a good way to start. Gender needs to not be the focus but the act and the motives.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think one of the reasons people care *less* if at all about prison rape, is because before someone became a victim of prison rape, they first victimized someone else. People tend to think about prison inmates as sub-human, deserving of whatever they get, yadda yadda. Rape is rape is wrong, but it's honestly unfair to compare prison rape and it's victims to rape victims outside of prison.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    I think one of the reasons people care *less* if at all about prison rape, is because before someone became a victim of prison rape, they first victimized someone else. People tend to think about prison inmates as sub-human, deserving of whatever they get, yadda yadda. Rape is rape is wrong, but it's honestly unfair to compare prison rape and it's victims to rape victims outside of prison.
    News flash, you can be in prison for all sorts of things, most of which actually don't involve victimizing someone else, only ruining themselves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormtrooperz View Post
    Unwanted touching is sexual harassment, not assault.

Shoo off with your misinformation, stop spreading lies.
    Sexual assault is any involuntary sexual act in which a person is threatened, coerced, or forced to engage against their will, or any non-consensual sexual touching of a person. This includes rape (such as forced vaginal, anal or oral penetration or drug facilitated sexual assault), groping, forced kissing, child sexual abuse, or the torture of the victim in a sexual manner

What is groping, do you think? What are the bolded parts?
    Last edited by mmocfb6c003936; 2014-06-15 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinobu Oshino View Post
    The saddest part is that regardless of gender the victims typically face the same overall issues such as societal pressure and lack of belief. How we fix those things I don't know but identifying what the issues are is a good way to start. Gender needs to not be the focus but the act and the motives.
    You literally on the first page made it about gender. Don't even try to switch it around to try and sound like a beacon of light. Hypocrite.

Deleted
    News flash, you can be in prison for all sorts of things, most of which actually don't involve victimizing someone else, only ruining themselves.
    What are those crimes?

Deleted
    You literally on the first page made it about gender. Don't even try to switch it around to try and sound like a beacon of light. Hypocrite.
    Oh little one, you don't even methodology do you?

I don't care about the results of numbers, I care about how those numbers were reached as a bold claim was made and I want to know how it was reached whether or not the results paint one gender to be the victim more frequently than the other does not matter to me.

Rape sucks as a whole, disregarding gender and the whole antagonistic attitude the extremes take against each other is a bloody good way to solve the issue faster.

You can stay in your own little corner of judgmental ignorance if you want though. If you actually read the first page you would see I said that's its an issue as a whole and not just a male/female one.

Checkmate.

Deleted
    all men are rapist pigs and we need protection if we want to go out alone

I'm seeing a lot of numbers and not a whole lot of conclusion or methodology. I'm seeing the same group of numbers being stated over and over again.

What is the number for prison rape? What is the percentage to gender?

When we get those we can begin to apply them the national statistics
    OH what is this?

- - - Updated - - -

So what we need is the prison male-to-female ration.

- - - Updated - - -

You've represented your statistics poorly, i'm not gonna bother reading something you can't represent properly.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this a male issue though? Rape is equally bad either way and should be treated as such.

Nice try in hiding behind "equality for everyone" with this one, this one is cute. Claiming everyone yet only wanting male to female ratios. Leaving out everyone else. That's classic of a one sided liar in this as seen in the previous thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhil View Post
    What are those crimes?
    In a word, drugs. Specifically, drug possession. Our current system is really, really good at putting black and latino men into prison for drug possession charges, that are usually ignored in reference to white men (pot especially, hipsters don't go to jail, their parents are rich).

This story is shitty, but US prisons have been ruining our human rights reputation worldwide for the last 25 years.

Deleted
    OH what is this?
    Is this a male issue though? Rape is equally bad either way and should be treated as such.
    What's that?

I want to know where the numbers come from. The numbers themselves were given very little context.

I had 213,000 with 9/10ths being female excluding prison.

I had 216,000 within prison with the majority being male.

One has given a percentage and one has not.

I should've clarified, male-to-female ratio for the occurrence of sexual assault in prison.
    Once again leaving everyone out. Making it a female to male problem only.