Thread: Solar Roadways

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Fake .

Something something after a day it will be so dirty it wouldn't work something something
    It's not fake

It's is however very expensive.

I had a thread on this already once here... in theory it would work just fine, and you could do a lot of fancy things with it. But imagine the costs of replacing all roads with this, everywhere.

I wish we could do this in designated areas first and then step by step start changing our roads.

10+ Year Old Account
    This would be the biggest waste of time and resources.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    It's not fake

I had a thread on this already once here... in theory it would work just fine, and you could do a lot of fancy things with it. But imagine the costs of replacing all roads with this, everywhere.

I wish we could do this in designated areas first and then step by step start changing our roads.
    Well the fancy things they had suggested were something along lines of installing leds to power some lights on roads and then having some heaters installed. Both of these ideas would be pointless as they would take lot of more power than the array would generate itself. On top of the road solar panel would win every single time considering it's not going to have to be replaced nearly as often as the road surface itself.

It's not fake

TBH I guess it depends what OP sourced, the sites saying "this will work" aren't 'fake' sites in as much as they exist, but the science is full of holes so in that respect it is "fake".

Maybe when we are all using battery powered cars with no exhausts it would work in some areas. Maybe. For 99% of the world though its pie-in-the-sky thinking.

Sadly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not fake

This

Not fake, but very expensive. A step in the right direction, but still not feasible.
    Shhhhh, she's doing magical trig bullshit trig substitutions

Words don't even begin to explain how impractical this idea is. First, it could never be done in region who experiences cold climate, can you imagine how corrosive salt and snow would be on the panels? Second, you have weight precautions, I'm not sure how well those panels could hold up against semi trucks weighing 40-60k lbs. Thirdly, the cost would be astronomical to implement let alone maintain. Throwing money down the drain even dreaming about this as being possible. Spend the money on something more in line with reality.

Deleted
    sounds genius to drive with big trucks on solar panels why didn t i think on it when you can just put the solar panels in another place where fucking big trucks don t drive over them and what will happen when traffic is to high cars will be above them

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Meanwhile in the Netherlands - while my fellow Americans try to stroke themselves by thinking they've uncovered a conspiracy scam and thus creating more fear and no progression forward... our Nordic brothers are instead moving forward by simply creating/installing solar bike pathways as beta-tests (VERY successful ones!) that will eventually lead to solar roadway designs there.

http://www.sciencealert.com/world-s-...he-netherlands
    Even the article says that the energy they produce is pretty modest. They have a 100 meters, or 328 feet worth so far, and it can only power 3 houses. Now look at the cost for not even a miles worth of road. For 100 meters, it cost them AUD$4.3Million or 3Million USD. Lets take that further shall we. The average American home uses 10,932kWh of electricity per year. The average cost per kWh is 12 cents. That averages to $1311.84 per year on average for an American hose to run.

Now, at the cost of 3 Million dollars for 3 houses to be powered, that works to around $1million per house. It would take you 762 YEARS just to break even on the cost to install vs the average annual cost of powering a house. Considering the fact that it would take you 762 years, around 9 or so generations, just to break even, I would hardly call that a very successful test. I would call that a complete waste of time and resources.

Plain and simple, these paths are Not a realistic solution until they can pay for themselves in generated electricity long before 762 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

What about windmill roadways? We could make the roads out of windmills. Sure people would get a little dizzy, but it would work better in areas where 4 months of the year the incoming sunlight is too oblique to effectively power solar panels.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Even the article says that the energy they produce is pretty modest. They have a 100 meters, or 328 feet worth so far, and it can only power 3 houses. Now look at the cost for not even a miles worth of road. For 100 meters, it cost them AUD$4.3Million or 3Million USD. Lets take that further shall we. The average American home uses 10,932kWh of electricity per year. The average cost per kWh is 12 cents. That averages to $1311.84 per year on average for an American hose to run.

Now, at the cost of 3 Million dollars for 3 houses to be powered, that works to around $1million per house. It would take you 762 YEARS just to break even on the cost to install vs the average annual cost of powering a house. Considering the fact that it would take you 762 years, around 9 or so generations, just to break even, I would hardly call that a very successful test. I would call that a complete waste of time and resources.

Plain and simple, these paths are Not a realistic solution until they can pay for themselves in generated electricity long before 762 years.
    Thank you for doing the math I was too lazy to do and answering my question with the post.

Sorry for copying someone elses post too I didn't think to search it on here before posting my mistake.
    The world isn't as bad as you think.

People so obsessed with solar... like srsly.

"If solar panels were 100% efficient it would be the best energy source ever."
    "But don't the very laws of physics themselves prevent them from exceeding 30% efficiency?"
    "Excelsior!"

Quote Originally Posted by luc54 View Post
    We had topic about this year ago. I'll give link to one of the TF videos about it:
    Interesting video. Just goes to show that the old saying is true. A fool and his money are soon parted.
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

10+ Year Old Account
    At first it sounds like it might be a good idea, then you think about it and realise it's a bit shit.

It seems to fail in just about every category - cost, efficiency, practicality, safety.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    People so obsessed with solar... like srsly.

"If solar panels were 100% efficient it would be the best energy source ever."
    "But don't the very laws of physics themselves prevent them from exceeding 30% efficiency?"
    "Excelsior!"
    Even if they were only 30% efficient, if it can beat what we currently use, they would be better and safer for the environment.

7+ Year Old Account
    I'm so glad the forum is full of experts on the subject telling everyone how infeasible things are. Who knew all the world's Ph.D.s played an outdated MMO and spent the better part of their life yammering pointlessly on a forum dedicated to it? Fascinating, really.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post
    I'm so glad the forum is full of experts on the subject telling everyone how infeasible things are. Who knew all the world's Ph.D.s played an outdated MMO and spent the better part of their life yammering pointlessly on a forum dedicated to it? Fascinating, really.
    I gave the math on the cost vs reward for installing these things. Im not claiming to understand them, but I provided hard numbers to show how impracticable these things are from an expense stand point.

Deleted
    How about nuclear roadways? They'd glow in the dark and melt snow and ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Even if they were only 30% efficient, if it can beat what we currently use, they would be better and safer for the environment.
    Why not just put the panels on the roof/side of the road? where they have the most possible efficiency and require the least maintenance?

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Scratch View Post

A PhD doesn't necessarily make somebody more qualified in existing sciences than somebody at the Master's level. It qualifies them to lead cutting edge research which might actually stray away from existing fields and thus make them less experienced in an existing field of science than somebody who has remained at a lower level in the same time frame.

The more you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Lumicide View Post
    Why not just put the panels on the roof/side of the road? where they have the most possible efficiency and require the least maintenance?
    "shrug". I guess they want to make roads capable of multitasking or something. Idk, the things a scam to begin with merely from a cost point of view. They generate horribly low amounts of power and cost a fortune to install.