Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    And where does the actual game data come from?
    From the players. They have everything but the code. The code is provided by pserver devs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rue-7 View Post
    What is wrong with people like you? How hard of a concept is it to understand that it is Blizzards property. These servers were illegal. Anyone playing on these servers knew it wasn't legit, and should have known that this could happen at any time and should have accepted it.
    You can apply this principle to many other things, and I bet then you would accept it.
    Nothing wrong with him, it's happening since tbc, ppl are asking blizzard to put on their own vanilla server and they answer "bla bla, technical problems, bla bla" and the same bullshit, then some random guys manage to put up a nearly 1:1 blizz vanilla server gathering thousands of hundreds of ppl and proving false the blizzard statements about the impossibility of doing such servers
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    Hm, the second one. This was wow 1.12.1, but not from official blizz code. It was coded by pserver devs to look as good as retail code
    For the most part it's relatively similar though.
    Hey everyone

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordbaldric View Post
    Or, you are just a Blizz whore...
    Nah he's just got the brains / mental development to undestand how the world actually works. A k a, not a whiny priveleged shitkid who's pissed off as he has no way to understand how his illegaly aquired free meal was taken away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Radeghost View Post
    From the players. They have everything but the code. The code is provided by pserver devs.
    And that's the illegal part...
    "You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
    Friedrich Nietzsche

World works huh? Really funny. You have no clue...

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    For the most part it's relatively similar though.
    Not at all, honestly. Vanilla WoW back when it started was a completely different game before it hit patch 1.12.1. Maybe not out on the outside (visually), but certainly from a game play stand point.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    "b-but they wouldn't be playing on official servers anyway!!"
    On the contrary. I've been playing both retail and Nostalrius, granted I quit playing WOD in august since there was nothing left to do but that would've happened anyway. This was a good move from Blizzard as I won't be buying any more of their products in the future. I was on the fence about Legion and Overwatch but this made up my mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PenguinChan View Post
    Not at all, honestly. Vanilla WoW back when it started was a completely different game when it hit patch 1.12.1. Maybe not out on the outside (visually), but certainly from a game play stand point.
    I played retail vanilla and am 60 on Nost, the coding is very good on Nost.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Well, that's what happens when you steal intellectual property and use it
    They offered a service that Blizzard wasn't willing to offer them. There was no one harmed. All that happened was that people were able to enjoy a journey, that they weren't able to enjoy with Blizzard anymore. But Blizzard wouldn't have it, because it shows how much people prefer Vanilla over the current, shitty state of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Idoru View Post
    You do know that an emulator requires original game data, right?
    "They literally took a product that someone else made and used it for their own. Last time I checked WoW didn't come with user-end server applications."

Making my reference of Theft to the point of , "Point me to where they stole a whole product, literally."

Taking specific sets of data != Copy pasting a game and saying "It's mine lol"

But good try, you took my stuff out of context, maybe you even have basic reading comprehension?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sad move. It was so obviously gaining momentum and really showed how well the old model of character progression still worked in this day and age. Seemed not only "old dogs" were playing there, but also newcomers who understandably were underwhelmed by the live game. A bit of WoW's appeal at the start was that it was a perfect mix of being accessible and at the same time demanding. Gaining a level meant something and once hitting 60 you actually felt a bit more experienced and had had an epic journey as well.

One could hope that they at least took note of how well Nostalrius worked out. Maybe by trying to steer back the direction on how progression in current WoW works, or by actually releasing some damn "time-stop"-realms.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue83 View Post
    Sigh, just another Blizzard whore apologist scumbag
    Yeah.. how dare someone state facts that these servers were illegal or point out that they've shut down servers before so people shouldn't surprised about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Duronos View Post
    I played retail vanilla and am 60 on Nost, the coding is very good on Nost.
    That wasn't the point I was making. Private servers always run (besides current expansion) on the last patch, which in Vanilla WoW was vastly different from many previous patches since its birth. Many people experienced Classic differently because its life cycle changed dramatically until the end.

This implies raids people play on classic servers were never intended to be played the way they are now, or group content. It changed over time and made the game (objectively) easier. Albeit it also changed the way specs played and made some even completely inert.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    Blizzard themselves stated that they don't have the code for legacy, and several ppl already pointed out that it's an emulation of the old stuff.

Feel free to point out the Theft part, lest you want to make yerself look even more daft by spewing personal insults.
    How about the game itself, did they remake that from scratch as well?

How do you think you'd see things if you were a game developer, owning an IP, someone takes it from the internet and re-develops the code almost to the point of being a complete match only for you to lose paying customers to an illegally created version? Honest answer here please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pjongjongjeng View Post
    They offered a service that Blizzard wasn't willing to offer them. There was no one harmed. All that happened was that people were able to enjoy a journey, that they weren't able to enjoy with Blizzard anymore. But Blizzard wouldn't have it, because it shows how much people prefer Vanilla over the current, shitty state of the game.
    This is basically the reason, it would have cut into Legion profits. God forbid Nost had a BC test server up as to help for a BC release... BC would have destroyed retail. They had to shut it down, it was going to completely fuck them the instant BC was released.
    Hey everyone

Honestly, they should've let the server stay open to remind players how terrible vanilla really was. So much was just so broke, not to say the current iteration is perfect but there was so many problems and it was painful.

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PvPHeroLulz View Post
    "They literally took a product that someone else made and used it for their own. Last time I checked WoW didn't come with user-end server applications."

Making my reference of Theft to the point of , "Point me to where they stole a whole product, literally."

Taking specific sets of data != Copy pasting a game and saying "It's mine lol"

But good try, you took my stuff out of context, maybe you even have basic reading comprehension?
    It's called knowing how the world works, you should look into that.

If you want to know how this would work legally:

They would need to build their own game, write their own story, create their own art, own music and so on, they sure as fuck wouldn't be able to name it anything with Warcraft or "WoW". That means not take an already fleshed out product that someone else made and use it in a way that actively hurts the owner. You can try to spin it as much as you want but it's that fucking simple.
    Last edited by thilicen; 2016-04-07 at 07:39 AM.

Stood in the Fire Grimalkin of Old's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, can someone explain the theft part? Nostalrius aren't using the original Blizzard server code, they coded that themselves. They also don't require modified client, you can download it from every other torrent tracker. Are they stealing my free time, which legally belongs to Blizzard?

7+ Year Old Account
    "It isn't theft! IT IS LEGAL!!!"

*Points to lawyers* Their turn.
    Not enough content? Change you dislike?
    Unsub or sub later. Give Blizzard feedback, "vote" with money.
    Give feedback through official channels → quit paying.