Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    Fair enough, like I said, I never experienced it. I just don't find AV to be particularly engaging anyway; I'm a capture the flag guy (WSG).
    I did more WSG on my twink than anything else. The only thing I lacked on her was Arena Grandmaster trinket, running around with Crusader on a meaty 2hander. I spend a couple hundred G on her, and that was a lot for me in vailla.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do i still have a crap taste:

Don't sweat the details!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sj View Post
    There's nothing engaging about AV as it is now. Old AV actually had strategy and teamwork. It wasn't about finishing the match, it was about being part of it. There were a few times that I left and AV, went to work for four hours, and came back to my friends still being in the same match. It wasn't as common as a lot of people claim (like those people that claim Naxx 40 was actually fun, they were never actually there) but there were some epically long AVs back in the day.

It was the closest to actual warfare between factions as you could get.
    I only did the first few bosses of Naxx40 before my guild fell apart, but I really enjoyed Noth and Anub. Instructor Razuvious was boring, but that's because I was a tank and had to avoid sundering or doing damage to the acolytes...in other words stand there and get punched for 10 minutes with the occasional taunt.

15+ Year Old Account
    Planetarian 03 - 10/10 episode. OST, visuals, and story was on point.

Quote Originally Posted by goriq View Post
    Blizzard always had to make things more comfortable or easier first for me to realize that they were much more rewarding back when they were a huge amount of effort and seemingly annoying.

The game was more time-consuming, tedious and uncomfortable back in the day, but that actually made it more rewarding and more fun to play.
    I definitely agree with that. It's like a study that found groups that hazed their initiates actually had people who valued their membership more. Leveling was a pain, grinding took forever, mechanics were bizarre, travel was slow, and the other faction always sucked on a PvP server. But once you got past all that, it made you value it and gave people a common experience. It's kind of like how in teaching there's a certain solidarity created by the fact that the first few years of this job are hellish - but if you get through it, then you're a "real teacher." Back then in WoW you were a "real gamer" or however you want to call it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    I agree with a lot of that, but I think some of the best boss designs in WoW's history were in BRF in Warlords.
    The only two unique fights were Hans/Franz and the Train dude, rest were rehashed and boring.

I had a blast when I played on Nostalrius. Yes, some crucial QoL features were suddenly gone, but it didn't me bother as much as I thought it would. I just want the WoW that was worth playing back.
    Would love to play on a WotLK progression server.

Quote Originally Posted by Neichus View Post
    Speaking of PvP, I like the way they're approaching the talents and gear (or lack thereof). I've never really gotten into PvP in WoW; I would try it for a period of time, but I always stopped after a bit. The Legion approach is appealing to me.
    They can add in all the shiny and enticing progression-based systems they want; any PvPer that cares about the game would put class design and balance first. The continuous pruning of abilities and spells reduces skill-ceiling and makes the game incredibly scripted. The only real positive change I saw for Legion was the ability to tune healing and damage numbers without affecting PvP; that's great and all but designs of most classes look abysmal and the "PvP talents" are just reintroduced abilities that were pruned over the course of several expansions. I would love to have all of this back.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Hmm, Colorful sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommend; hope it's good! :P

For the rewatch, is the Spice and Wolf OVA included in the Thora / Yabai versions, or will I have to seek it out individually? I assume it's not part of those?

Edit: looking at Sj's signature, it looks like I'll have to find it...

Blizzard always had to make things more comfortable or easier first for me to realize that they were much more rewarding back when they were a huge amount of effort and seemingly annoying.

The game was more time-consuming, tedious and uncomfortable back in the day, but that actually made it more rewarding and more fun to play.
    My guild back in the day was pretty serious business so we got to see pretty much all of the latest content. I'll agree with your statement almost 100% with the sole outlier being Naxx 40. Waaaay too much trash, way too much time and money spent on mid-raid respecs because a couple of fights required different make-ups and you couldn't Molten Core your way through and carry dead weight dps.

I only did the first few bosses of Naxx40 before my guild fell apart, but I really enjoyed Noth and Anub. Instructor Razuvious was boring, but that's because I was a tank and had to avoid sundering or doing damage to the acolytes...in other words stand there and get punched for 10 minutes with the occasional taunt.
    I hated Razuvius because I was one of the priests lugging around a spell hit set for the MC. Other than that, Naxx did have some good boss fights.

Quote Originally Posted by Schirmy View Post
    They can add in all the shiny and enticing progression-based systems they want; any PvPer that cares about the game would put class design and balance first.
    ....which is what they did? The system they have in Legion is vastly superior to any previous state for balance. Basically, the problem has been for years that they wanted to make PvP and PvE seamlessly fit together in WoW. And they failed. A lot. And now finally they gave in and said, "Screw it, PvP has its own set of rules." You zone into a PvP zone and your stats are set to values decided by the developers, allowing them to tune PvP independently of PvE. That alone is huge.

My biggest frustration with Legion is that it didn't come out four years ago. The 5-man progression, the separation of PvP and PvE, the less-timid approach to several class designs...I would have been so much more excited for this if it came out when I wanted it a long time ago rather than now.

My guild back in the day was pretty serious business so we got to see pretty much all of the latest content. I'll agree with your statement almost 100% with the sole outlier being Naxx 40. Waaaay too much trash, way too much time and money spent on mid-raid respecs because a couple of fights required different make-ups and you couldn't Molten Core your way through and carry dead weight dps.
    I was never in a top tier guild, but in the next level down. The ones that got things a few months later, or those that could beat Heroic but not Mythic reliably, etc. I think when I was at my most-skilled (sometime in the BC-WotLK era) I might have qualified for one of those top guilds, but not anymore.

....which is what they did? The system they have in Legion is vastly superior to any previous state for balance. Basically, the problem has been for years that they wanted to make PvP and PvE seamlessly fit together in WoW. And they failed. A lot. And now finally they gave in and said, "Screw it, PvP has its own set of rules." You zone into a PvP zone and your stats are set to values decided by the developers, allowing them to tune PvP independently of PvE. That alone is huge.

My biggest frustration with Legion is that it didn't come out four years ago. The 5-man progression, the separation of PvP and PvE, the less-timid approach to several class designs...I would have been so much more excited for this if it came out when I wanted it a long time ago rather than now.
    Numbers mean pretty little when the class designs aren't fun, engaging, and allow for counter-play. Being able to independently tune numbers is wonderful, should have happened years ago. Of course, how your specs/classes feel to you is completely subjective; I personally haven't seen one that looks like fun. I like how Blizzard's touts "class fantasy" when they pretty much nailed it in Wrath. Most classes in WoD felt like a shadow of its former self and Legion doesn't look any better.

My opinion is incredibly biased, though. I've PvPed on multiple classes at fairly high ratings in all brackets and played with other exceptional players who understand the game on a conceptual level. Believing PvP will be any better than WoD is a joke.

They fucked up when they added the catch-up mechanics for raid tiers. I think they did it somewhat right in TBC where they nerfed raids where basically anybody Kara-geared could step in and not be a complete waste of space during the last patch before the 3.0 patch. This approach would work even better now that they take a fucking year to put out new expansions after the last patch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Season 7 of D3 starts August 5th. I am thinking I am going to go Monk or Witch Doctor. Barb this season was a little frustrating with Furious Charge. I switched into Avalanche/Earthquake after I got everything I needed.

10+ Year Old Account
    They fucked up when they added the catch-up mechanics for raid tiers. I think they did it somewhat right in TBC where they nerfed raids where basically anybody Kara-geared could step in and not be a complete waste of space during the last patch before the 3.0 patch. This approach would work even better now that they take a fucking year to put out new expansions after the last patch.
    Typically, I enjoyed the hell out of raids in every expansion except for WoD. I never really needed catch up mechanics because I had a character that was fully geared out from the previous raid. It wasn't until TBC that I started keeping a Hunter as an alt.

So basically it went:
    Vanilla: Warlock
    TBC: Warlock and Hunter
    Wrath: Was Warlock and Hunter until we needed a healer in ICC. Then I went Shaman.
    Cata: I tried to be a Lock until we ran into healing issues then I went Shaman full time.
    MoP: I was a healer full time until we needed a tank and then I went Paladin in MSV.

I've always tried to keep two characters since TBC geared for the current raid. Raided with my main (at the time) with the core group and we would put together fun runs with our alts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Watched konosuba OVA with my friend today. True to its genre, but quite predictable of an ending
    Last edited by Suicidal Panda; 2016-07-21 at 11:08 PM. Reason: forgot to put ova...
    [CENTER]

I think that that's, despite being an unreal amount of effort and work, great.

There's a reason why the original Naxxramas had the reputation of "killing entire guilds" and is a legendary raid in the history of MMOs.
    It's great in theory, but when you're doing it every fucking week it ceases to be a overwhelming challenge to overcome (fun) to an overwhelming chore to slog through (not fun). I enjoyed the challenge of raiding. If it weren't difficult I wouldn't have spent so much finishing AQ and Naxx. Much of the difficulty in Naxx was artificial difficulty not actually tied to having better strategy and better performance, but making it more time-consuming to applying both.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Typically, I enjoyed the hell out of raids in every expansion except for WoD. I never really needed catch up mechanics because I had a character that was fully geared out from the previous raid. It wasn't until TBC that I started keeping a Hunter as an alt.

So basically it went:
    Vanilla: Warlock
    TBC: Warlock and Hunter
    Wrath: Was Warlock and Hunter until we needed a healer in ICC. Then I went Shaman.
    Cata: I tried to be a Lock until we ran into healing issues then I went Shaman full time.
    MoP: I was a healer full time until we needed a tank and then I went Paladin in MSV.

I've always tried to keep two characters since TBC geared for the current raid. Raided with my main (at the time) with the core group and we would put together fun runs with our alts.
    I always tried to keep an alt geared too even going back as far as Vanilla. I mained priest and had a geared hunter alt. My problem with the way they added the catch-up mechanics is they basically flushed all the raid content before the current tier down the drain, which is a stupid fucking idea when you have so many people complaining there's nothing to do. Yes, successful raiders are still going to run out of shit to do, but the majority of raiders are not going to complete a tier before the next comes out.

Going back to a TBC-type model with the current format of LFR-Heroic-Mythic with the flex raid sizes would stretch out content considerably and bring back a good portion of time-investment and prevent boredom, as opposed to axing older content to let everyone raid the current tiers.

Huh, it's already been a year and half since I quit wow, and I still have no desire to go back. I started back a few months before wrath and played until a few months into WoD, with increasingly longer breaks towards the end. There's nothing I really miss about it, as I mostly played on my own and rarely interacted with others. I'm content with occasionally looking back on it with nostalgia and remembering all the fun I had over those 6 years.

I went out on another Pokemon GO trip today, and apparently my closest Pokestop is 2km away at a gas station. Though I did find a very nice area a bit further away, with 10 or so Pokestops and 3 gyms very close together. It feels a bit awkward that it is a graveyard, but it is a very beautiful area where I could easily find myself strolling around for a couple of hours. I ran into tons of people playing Pokemon GO there too, it is just crazy how popular the game has become so quickly. Though it will probably drop a bit once summer ends, people going back to work or school and the weather becoming colder.

Welp. Nisekoi finished. Garbage as expected.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think I had the most fun playing WoW on 3.3 (ICC patch) and on 5.4 (SoO patch).

The game during WotLK was ridiculously dumb and easy to play. Like, seriously. Any idiot could play those specs on PVE and do half decently, it wasn't challenging at all.
    PVP was where skill actually mattered and it was the funniest WoW's PVP ever was. People can argue about Shadowmourne Warriors or shit like this but that was genuinely fun too.

The game used to have an incredibly amazing atmosphere, all the Northrend thing was just fantastic and I could feel the fantasy. The hype was intense when ICC was announced and we finally got to fight the LK himself, after the entire build-up with the expansion.

I didn't mind it back then but when I think about it nowadays, why the fuck was it so easy? Playing PVE on my warrior was literally pressing WW, BT on CD and then >occasionally< pressing Slam when it was a instant cast while spamming HS 24/7 since the off-hand autos were enough to fill your rage bar. Execute wasn't even worth it because it only scaled from AP and the Weapon Damage on ICC was ridiculous so the normal weapon damage % based spells did more damage.

Rogues? Assassination was simply Mut>Mut>Env 24/7. It isn't that much different nowadays and it's still the dumbest spec in the game but it was even dumber back then. Combat was almost as dumb, but you had to use 3 finishers instead of 1. Sub wasn't viable 99% of the expansion, like Arms or Frost (Mage).

Dks... I had to use plague strike and icy touch once in the fight to put the damn diseases and then I could simply refresh them with pestilance while spamming Obliterate/Scourge Strike and be done with it using Frost Strike/Death coil as filler to dump runic power. Hell, the funniest spec to play was Blood DPS with 100% ArP.

I mean, it was super dumb yet it was so fucking fun to play... I don't understand why.

MoP on another hand was ridiculously weak fantasy-wise. Nobody cares about those Shas or fucking pandas.

But the PVE was actually fairly fun. You had to think to play some of the specs and there were a lot of room for min/maxing, some were so engaging that even with equally geared characters you could easily tell the difference between a good player and an excellent player. I spent so much time fucking around with Simulationcraft trying to optimise the DPS of my characters and competing with friends to see who'd win the DPS race was always fun as fuck.

Sure, raid mechanics weren't always spectacular and it got repetitive after some months but the fun was at competing with people in the raid, and it was awesome.

Stacking the Fallen Protectors and killing them at the same time because fuck it? Awesome!
    Doing the Dark Shamans fight without cleaning the room before it? Awesome!
    Killing Nazgrim without killing his healers so we could pad with the adds? We could do this too!

It was simply fun to do shit like this, specially when it was also rewarding to play the class correctly. Games in which the strongest player is the one who spends more time playing it so he have better items are just dumb, it was fun because the difference was in skill. (Well after an year of SoO everyone was as geared as possible...)

I fucking loved to play Combat/Fury PVE, and Fire PVP during 5.4. I don't think Fire will ever be funnier to play than this. They tried to recreate the feeling on legion giving you dumb free Pyros, but it isn't the same.
    Last edited by Artorius; 2016-07-21 at 11:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelly View Post
    Watch Komi not actually end the series and pull a Love Hina

I should re-read Love Hina, shit was fun and way better than Raku's shitshow
    Love Hina was amazing.

I'm gonna laugh when the last chapter is an epilogue and he breaks up with last girl because he became a cop and fell for Haru because she served him delicious western-style donuts every morning in her cute bakery uniform.

while nailing marika on the side because crazy chicks know what they're doing