Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Which events from the Chronicles are not canon anymore?

Since Blizzard retconned even Chronicles stuff is there a list with the things that aren't canon from there anymore?

well, seemingly nothing. i'm still iffy on those broken of argus, but they are mutated slightly differently, so who the fuck knows.

Well, Sargeras clearly didn't go looking for a race to command the Legion anymore, at least that is no longer his main goal in going to Argus. It's possible the Titan spirits never actually reached the Keepers. It's confirmed that Eonar's did not reach Freya.

If you are talking about the Titans dying and now appearing on Argus, I think that is more of a clarification than a retcon imo. I mean, if the essence of Y'shaarj could still speak even after being ripped out of the planet, I don't see why the Titan's fragments couldn't live even after being defeated by Sargeras. They are Warcraft's versions of the Greek Gods, after all.

I don't think Blizzard has necessarily retconned anything from Chronicles (I've only read Pt. 1, however).

Blizzard has supplemented Chronicle with new information, but all of it can be reconciled.

One thing that people commonly point to as a Chronicle "retcon" is the fact that Chronicle says that Sargeras destroyed the Titans, but we go to Argus and discover that Sargeras captured their souls. This can be reconciled because Chronicle also mentions that Norgannon protected the Titans' spirits just before their bodies were destroyed, sent their spirits into the Keepers, and the Keepers couldn't hold the Titans' spirits inside them. It follows then that the spirits were left hostless to wander the Great Dark Beyond until they were ultimately found by Sargeras/Aggramar.

Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    If you are talking about the Titans dying and now appearing on Argus, I think that is more of a clarification than a retcon imo. I mean, if the essence of Y'shaarj could still speak even after being ripped out of the planet, I don't see why the Titan's fragments couldn't live even after being defeated by Sargeras. They are Warcraft's versions of the Greek Gods, after all.
    Nah, the Titans are Warcraft's version of the Greek Titans, the fathers and mothers of the Greek Gods. The Watchers more are a better comparison to the Gods.

...aside from the fact that they didn't murder their parents to usurp power.

Sargeras must have scoured the universe for the rest of the soul parts that didn't make it to Azeroth.
    Also possible he managed to get them somehow in the Legion attacks on Ulduar during the pre-launch event and the Warrior campaign as Muffinus hints at - https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/900189243808464896

The titan thing, as mentioned, is an obvious one. Considering that whole section seemed to exist to explain how Wrathion got that vision and the whole "We must rebuild the final titan" quote, it seemed pretty explicit that the titan souls were on Azeroth. It also made it explicit how the titan's souls escaped, and how Sargeras absolutely had no idea it happened. There are ways to interpret the new lore as an expansion and continuation of that, but it still contradicts it as written.

The Chronicle also said that Sargeras recruited the eredar because he needed leaders to command the Legion, and that demons respawned naturally if killed outside the Nether or an otherwise heavily fel-saturated location. I don't know if the former is being contradicted directly, but since the latter concept is being replaced with the idea that the world-soul of Argus is what allows the Legion to respawn, it heavily implies that Argus was only important due to its world-soul, and not its people.

There's also the relationship between Odyn, Helya, and the val'kyr. In the Chronicle, Odyn was offended by the dragons being empowered when perfectly good defenders like him already existed, and decided to invent the val'kyr as his own army to prove that he could do it without the dragons. The val'kyr needed to be undead, however, and no one wanted to volunteer for that, so he forced people into it. Loken gave Helya a way out and she and the val'kyr eventually broke free and betrayed Odyn. In Legion, Odyn was always charged with creating an army and formed an army of Light val'kyr, which everyone seems to see as an honor to become. Loken sowed discord between Odyn and Helya, leading her to betray him and eventually forcing her to create the kvaldir to imitate Odyn, since it seems most of the val'kyr stayed with him instead of her. In fact, val'kyr didn't show up around Helya at all in Legion until the raid in 7.1, despite her having all of them (except the Spirit Healers) in the Chronicle, leading me to believe they realized the contradiction and tried to offset it at least a little.

I think a subtle but telling sign of this difference is that in the Chronicle, Helya is a victim all the way, even if she falls in with the wrong crowd due to it. In Legion, Helya is gleeful about her malice, and never once tries to justify her hatred of Odyn despite it being extremely understandable in the Chronicle. The closest she ever comes to anything resembling saying anything bad about Odyn outside of generic insults is "He... must not... win...", which anyone would say about their nemesis. Likewise, Xal'atath has comments about how Odyn's arrogance helped convince Helya to betray him, not the much more blatant fact that he murdered her and forced a curse upon her like in the Chronicle.

The naaru are already on their way to being contradicted. The Chronicle describes them as just another lifeform that came into being naturally as Light exploded into the new universe. However, with the introduction of Prime Naaru, the idea that Elune (whoever she is) might have consciously created the Prime Naaru, and that Xe'ra may not be quite what she seems, are already setting up a potential contradiction of the origin given in the Chronicle.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2017-08-24 at 08:11 AM.

Really makes you confident about Blizzard storytelling when they first retcon ton of shit to fit them into a definitive history in the form of Chronicles, and then retcon that shit right after.

There is no lore, there is just Rule of Cool.

World of Warcraft: Chronicles are history books.

World of Warcraft: Legion is the current narrative in the Warcraft universe.

Surprises from .. Ahem.. Expansions, are not and should not always be considered retcons.

These do not look like retcons to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    As near as I can tell, there's new supplemental information tied into some of the 7.3 content that is absent from Chronicle, but they aren't necessarily contradictions.

At worst they are "glaring omissions," not outright retcons.

I don't think there are any retcons, they are simply filling in the gaps.

Titans believed the Old Gods must be imprisoned not to harm the Azeroth itself, but the Titan keepers in Ulduar just watch us killing Yogg-saron.

I'm pretty sure it was mentioned that before Norgannon cast his soul-saving spell during the fight with Sargeras, Aggramar was already cut down. I'm also sure it was stated that Aggramar's soul was permanently destroyed. So why does he show up on Argus? That's what has been bugging me for months now.

Quote Originally Posted by Trient View Post
    Titans believed the Old Gods must be imprisoned not to harm the Azeroth itself, but the Titan keepers in Ulduar just watch us killing Yogg-saron.
    thats just you not understanding the context.

Killing them doesn't hurt anything. Ripping them and their roots out leaving a gaping wound is

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elfezen View Post
    Since Blizzard retconned even Chronicles stuff is there a list with the things that aren't canon from there anymore?
    Nothing was retconnned. You just lack comprehension.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2017-08-26 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    thats just you not understanding the context.

Killing them doesn't hurt anything. Ripping them and their roots out leaving a gaping wound is

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing was retconnned. You just lack comprehension.

Chronicle saids N'zoth was overwhelmed, Yogg-saron was pacified, C'thun was subdued during the Fall of the Black Empire. So they had the chances to kill all three of them(and doesn't hurt anything), but instead they just made some prisons to contain them.

And now.. we kill the Old god and Titan keepers help us. What is the difference then and now?

Quote Originally Posted by liandroa View Post
    Also possible he managed to get them somehow in the Legion attacks on Ulduar during the pre-launch event and the Warrior campaign as Muffinus hints at - https://twitter.com/Muffinus/status/900189243808464896
    Muffinus doesn't handle the lore for the game. Hence, his thoughts on the subject are irrelevant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Someone should tweet the devs.

If they're retconning the 'definitive source of Warcraft lore' then that's pretty fucked up.

Deleted
    Nothing has been retconned, Blizzard simply filled the gaps of what we didn't knew yet or it's simply story progression.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    The Chronicle also said that Sargeras recruited the eredar because he needed leaders to command the Legion, and that demons respawned naturally if killed outside the Nether or an otherwise heavily fel-saturated location. I don't know if the former is being contradicted directly, but since the latter concept is being replaced with the idea that the world-soul of Argus is what allows the Legion to respawn, it heavily implies that Argus was only important due to its world-soul, and not its people.
    Nothing in 7.3 retcons those parts of the Chronicle. The eredar were still recruited as leaders of the Legion, with or without Argus, and demons still respawn naturally, the Titan Argus is simply being used to speed up the process, making the Legion "infinite".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varolyn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    Nah, the Titans are Warcraft's version of the Greek Titans, the fathers and mothers of the Greek Gods. The Watchers more are a better comparison to the Gods.

...aside from the fact that they didn't murder their parents to usurp power.
    No they aren't? They are based on the Norse Gods, hence Odyn=Odin, Thorim=Thor, Loken=Loki, Freya=Freyja, Himdall=Heimdall, Helya=Hela etc. Nothing to do with the greeks. On top of that, the Vrykul that the titan Keepers created are very much like Vikings, even the accents, the Valkyr are the Valkiries, even Teldrassil, Vordrassil and Andrassil etc are based on the world tree Yggdrassil in Norse mythology.

I'm really not sure how you link them to the Greek Gods other than the fact that they were also a Pantheon.