Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    Thats due to tbc coming out soon after naxx so people stopped raiding, if tbc had been later way more would have cleared it.
    You're right. Naxx40 came out in June of 2006 and TBC was right around the corner seven months later. Seven months gives people no time to get a raid done. Especially an easy raid since Vanilla was so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeh View Post
    You're right. Naxx40 came out in June of 2006 and TBC was right around the corner seven months later. Seven months gives people no time to get a raid done. Especially an easy raid since Vanilla was so much easier.
    Many guilds were still clearing AQ40 when it came out, which annoyed everyone. We were still doing for the gear and T3 was announced which made AQ stuff out dated. A lot of my guild just got raid fatigue from all progression and farming.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

There's really no point sugar coating it. WoW was a grind, everything about the game was pretty slow paced which is going to be a drastic change for most people that are used what WoW is today.

Is vanilla going to feel the same as it did before? I doubt it. Most people treat WoW as a race these days. Who can clear content the quickest, who can farm the most amount of gold the quickest etc.. I feel like once patch content is released we're going to see people blow through it pretty damn quickly as most people know how to raid at a very high end level, and the boss mechanics for most, if not all fights were really easy in comparison.

If blizzard wants to do anything with changing the game, they should revamp how boss mechanics work and make them much more challenging. A lot of raids back then were general tank and spank fights with little boss mechanics. I don't think very many people would be upset with boss changes if they want to actually have fun with the game.

@unbound many of your things I'm willing to discuss but I think they're more factual than you see.

1. There were pretty serious gaps in itemization for other specs. So I decided to actually google "Blackwing Lair Balance Druid Vanilla" and came up with this gem (actually a pre-raid BiS list): https://forum.nostalrius.org/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=36334 The very first item listed is for a cloth hat with spirit on it. http://db.vanillagaming.org/?item=18727#wh-comments

BiS list for balance druid pre-raiding:
    Cloth hat: 8 Int, 8 Spirit, 8 Stam, 30 spellpower, req level 54
    Neck: 7 Int, 6 Spirit, 1% crit, req level 53
    Cloth Shoulders: 16 Int, 20 spellpower, req level 56
    Cloth Cloak: 10 Int, 1% crit, req level 55
    Cloth Chest: 13 Int, 2% crit, 27 spellpower, req level 60
    Cloth Bracers: 10 Int, 6 spirit, 6 stam, 12 spellpower, req level 55
    Cloth Gloves: 15 Int, 9 stam, 1% crit (no spellpower), req level 55
    Cloth Belt: 25 Int, 10 stam, 1% crit (no spellpower), req level 60. (Crafted item that required 10 mooncloth, and mooncloth was originally on a 4-day cooldown. So literally it would take a single tailor 40 days to create enough mats for one of these.)
    Cloth Legs: 6 Int, 37 spellpower, 1% spell hit, req level 60
    Cloth Boots: 16 Int, 19 spellpower, 1% spell hit, req level 60
    Rings: 10 Int, 6 mp5, req level 54 (non-unique, use x2)
    Trinkets: 2% crit on one, 29 spellpower on the other, req level 55
    Weapon: 14 Int, 11 Stam, 7 Spirit, 1% crit, 23 spellpower, req level 58

2. I don't really think it's a negative, just a fact. If you have suggestions for grammatical edits post 'em.

3. Again, just stating a fact.

4. This was pretty negative, the lack of server transfers caused some pretty serious issues.

Also I'm still looking for photos of DPS meters from vanilla, particularly Patchwerk.
    Last edited by garicasha; 2017-11-07 at 01:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by garicasha View Post
    Because the stats were so different back then many specs had gear specifically for them. Tank gear was completely different from DPS gear. Healing gear was completely different from DPS gear. Prot warrior basically had its own gear, all healing specs basically had their own gear, rogues had their gear but hunters could also use it. Enhancement and Elemental had their own gear. There were at least 29 different kinds of weapons
    Hah, you forgot, weapon speed!

Also, items stacking in stacks of 10, or 5, or 1, and bags half the size they are now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep and i can't wait, this game has gotten so easy and boring, not to mention the 4 difficulties of raids which is stupid.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people - Martin Luther King, Jr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let's not forget that we're using ridiculously powerful hardware and connections in comparison to back then.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by Biske View Post
    Can also confirm. My guild did tribute runs ALL the time. I was a leatherworker so I made the ogre suit. Also a hunter, so I was in charge of helping the party avoid a ton of fights.
    Knot's Cache was pretty valuable.

Ugh the slow gold grinds. I remember buying wow gold from chinese gold farmers because the 100% mount was going to take weeks to farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    I'd miss Cloak of Skill haha too much and the old iteration of Feint was garbage and unused. Leveling lockpicking was also something that was a thing back then, too.
    It was a money maker though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tommys View Post
    Ugh the slow gold grinds. I remember buying wow gold from chinese gold farmers because the 100% mount was going to take weeks to farm.
    protip: farm lashers in DM east if you can aoe worth a shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Herald of the Titans Pterodactylus's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Meh, folks will pop in for their 20 mins of nostalgia and then log back into live.
    “You know, it really doesn’t matter what the media write as long as you’ve got a young, and beautiful, piece of ass." - President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorkingTitle View Post
    In reality, Classic was superior in almost every way to current WoW (if you prefer depth, nuance, way more RPG elements, actual choice, superior character customization, etc.)
    Cool story bro
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

7+ Year Old Account
    To the op: thank you for getting me that much more excited for Vanilla servers. I CANNOT WAIT!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    You're so negative.

I can't WAIT to spend hours and hours running up and down Darkshore trying to find near invisible quest items.
    I miss the days spamming chat for literally hours, trying to find groups for Sunken Temple, and then when you all get there somebody pulls out so you have to fly back to the cities again to start the whole process again.

Jokes aside... why would you want to play a game that's built around progression if your progress will always be capped?
    People enjoy different things. It's a game.
    "Do you think man will ever walk on the sun? -Ali G

The WoW classic announcement is basically a power play with all upsides and no downsides for Blizzard. Think of it as killing 2, no 3 birds with 1 stone.

The legacy crowd will be forced to pay for current wow (assuming they are not playing current WoW), it'll basically crowd out the private server (at least for Vanilla) market since (assuming people played private servers for the nostalgia and not pirating; and probably depress the classic market leading to less cease and desists), and they'll be able to add more sub numbers (that they don't disclose any more).

I'll also add, it'll force the classic crowd to put their money where their mouth is, and see if it just a very loud minority or if an actual demand exists.

All in all, I'd like to see it happen (coming from an anti-nostalgia crowd) and I'm happy for the nostalgia crowd getting what they wanted.
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii

You guys forgot the most important thing about vanilla. THE most important thing. Sylvanus had a night elf model.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Some more fun to add (and apologies if I missed them being mentioned):

• Skill levels for gatherers are relevant again.
    • Have to tap a mining node more than once to get all the ore and stone.
    • Can actually fail to gather an herb if it's orange/yellow to you.
    • Fishing requires having a patience level of 11 on a 10-point scale.
    • Beware of even puddles if you don't want to get dismounted.
    Alayea - Enhance/Resto (Main) Lithala - BM Gekkani - Holy/Shadow
    Mathrie - Fury/Prot Mayae - Resto/Bal Elita - Frost/Blood
    Chrystie - Frost Draika - Combat Ioreth - Ret/Prot
    Vexbolt - Destruction Yin - WW/MW Yolis
    Urwenn

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leperix View Post
    I had a rogue main from vanilla to when I quit in Cata, and this reminds me how great vanilla was. All these things that Blizzard removed as quality-of-life "improvements" actually contributed a huge deal to the uniqueness and enjoyment of the class. Somehow it just adds a great deal to the role playing to have to regularly get herbs to brew poisons to use on your weapons. It's not something you can explain or understand just by looking at the mechanic in isolation—which is probably why they ended up getting removed by developers that were micro-optimizing rather than looking at the experience as a whole.
    Yup. Those experiences stuck in my mind after all this time, not because I hated them, but because I loved them.

I understand why the developers ended up scrapping them, and I don't even think that it was the 'wrong' decision. When you consider their overall goals/roadmap for the WoW product, and the audience they were catering to, it was absolutely the right approach.

But at a purely personal level, I miss that stuff a lot, and I'm thrilled to get the chance to re-live it.

I don't see why raid bosses shouldn't be buffed and tuned around how good current players are. Especially with all fo the consumables and buffs.

Quote Originally Posted by tss View Post
    It was a money maker though.
    Aye it was, even just standing around in Org I'd get asked constantly. Now I'm lucky if anyone wants to use my skills once a month .