Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chernobyll View Post
    The Horde is heavily outmatched and has been since the end of SoO. Their leadership roster is thin, they fought a civil war and lost a lot of their might because of it. Sylvanas knows this, and knows that Undercity would be the first target for The Alliance if war were to break out. I maintain that she didn't kill Genn on purpose in Stormheim because she knew it would cause a war.
    Then why make plans to attack Stormwind? The greatest stronghold of the Alliance, bound to lose numbers yet she was preparing or already did assault it?

We know she was planning if not already attacked...why do that? If you're so worried about losing numbers when your numbers are already dwindling...why attack the the strongest bastion of the Alliance?

Or you know...you could attack a rather vulnerable tree...

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Wouldn't make sense? Sylvanas plague bombed Gilneas even when she was explicitly ordered not to...you think burning a big tree would be beneath her?

Mind you I'm not saying that you're wrong and that your theory isn't possible...I just think you're greatly overestimating Sylvanas' morals
    I don't think it's a matter of morals.

It's just that Sylvanas isn't that big a baby about revenge - she's not Garrosh. She doesn't really have big issues with Teldrassil (though it looks like she may kill one of her sisters there - but that could also be an NE). I could definitely see attacking and attempting to conquer or raid Teldrassil.

But burn the world-tree to the ground? Errrrrrrr... what?

That doesn't seem Sylvanas-y. Sylvanas wants immortality for herself and her people more than anything. Sylvanas wants to win. Sylvanas wants to know that is in it for Sylvanas.

None of that makes sense to burning Teldrassil. It's mega-destruction that will just make the Alliance and a lot of other people REALLY MAD whilst gaining nothing that conquest wouldn't (far less, in fact).

So I don't think it makes sense for her. Even Garrosh might have balked at it. And Saurfang might even have tried to stop her - but he's right there with her. So it's really fishy. It's some kind of frame-job, almost certainly. Who is framing her and why and to what extent it's a frame-up is indeed a question. I would bet money on her attacking Teldrassil for real (it's less well-defended than EK Alliance strongholds and more accessible to the Horde), but that someone else - Wrathion maybe, more likely the Desolate Council working for Nzoth, actually "sets them up the bomb".

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    Wait, where was that confirmed? Super interested!
    http://www.wowhead.com/blizzcon=2755...roth#news-post

In a Gamespot Interview, WoW production director John Hight clarified the timeline for these events. Teldrassil is burned before Lordaeron is attacked. To clarify, there's still a bit of a gray area as to what happens between Antorus and Teldrassil, aside from Azerite appearing in Silithus--there could be other major events we are unaware of after Argus is defeated and before Teldrassil is burned.

And then things happen in the opening of Battle for Azeroth that cement it. Some of the imagery that you'll see is the scene is with Sylvanas standing in front Teldrassil on fire. Then with the opening cinematic, that event was right before the Alliance finally says, "Okay, we've had it" before they assault Lordaeron.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Then why make plans to attack Stormwind? The greatest stronghold of the Alliance, bound to lose numbers yet she was preparing or already did assault it?
    Why do you assume it was senseless? Sylvanas doesn't do senseless. She's a real jerk, but she's not a hothead like Garrosh, or emotionally-lead like Thrall.

If she really was planning to hit Stormwind, it was because there was something, or someone, or some corpse in Stormwind that she wanted.

And if it's not senseless, then you can't just attack Teldrassil as an alternative.

10+ Year Old Account

We know she was planning if not already attacked...why do that? If you're so worried about losing numbers when your numbers are already dwindling...why attack the the strongest bastion of the Alliance?

Or you know...you could attack a rather vulnerable tree...
    "It is, for the moment," she said. "Injuries need time to heal. Crops need to be planted. But soon, I will call upon the brave fighters of the Horde for another battle. The one you and I have both longed for."

I don't think Sylvanas intended to attack Stormwind for a while. Talk of healing and planting crops? That takes a while. She would want to build up the horde's strength before launching an attack on Stormwind.
    Hey

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Why do you assume it was senseless? Sylvanas doesn't do senseless. She's a real jerk, but she's not a hothead like Garrosh, or emotionally-lead like Thrall.

If she really was planning to hit Stormwind, it was because there was something, or someone, or some corpse in Stormwind that she wanted.

And if it's not senseless, then you can't just attack Teldrassil as an alternative.
    Because, her intent was to strike a blow against the man who stole her immortality from her. Teldrassil is the second home of Genn's people she destroyed...I mean how better to get back at Genn than to strike against his people?

I like your idea, OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Obbsy View Post
    "It is, for the moment," she said. "Injuries need time to heal. Crops need to be planted. But soon, I will call upon the brave fighters of the Horde for another battle. The one you and I have both longed for."

I don't think Sylvanas intended to attack Stormwind for a while. Talk of healing and planting crops? That takes a while. She would want to build up the horde's strength before launching an attack on Stormwind.
    I guess it's impossible for someone to lie? To sound good...to inspire her people with words that may be as hollow as her soul really is? Like how all it took was her screaming "For the Horde" and it inspired them to push on?

You know...someone who has been known to do whatever it takes to get her way?

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess it's impossible for someone to lie? To sound good...to inspire her people with words that may be as hollow as her soul really is? Like how all it took was her screaming "For the Horde" and it inspired them to push on?

You know...someone who has been known to do whatever it takes to get her way?
    Oh yeah she was totally lying. She was going to push into Stormwind with a tired, weakened army because that's super intelligent and clever. Not to mention she was with Nathanos, the person she probably trusts the most.
    Hey

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because, her intent was to strike a blow against the man who stole her immortality from her. Teldrassil is the second home of Genn's people she destroyed...I mean how better to get back at Genn than to strike against his people?
    That's not very convincing. How many people even think of the Worgen when they think of Teldrassil?

Not bloody many, and Genn himself isn't there, so yeah that's emo shit Garrosh might do, but completely out-of-character for Sylvanas. Saurfang would not be down for that ride.

I don't know who did it but I don't think Sylvanas would order it. Not because I'm a fan of hers or anything, just that from everything we know about her we know she doesn't really care about the Horde and leading it, she only really cares about her people and giving them a future. So to me it seems like she wouldn't burn down Teldrassil just because it's an Alliance base close to Horde lands and Org. She especially wouldn't do it knowing that her own city, her own people, would be the first place the Alliance would strike back because it's the biggest Horde target in "Alliance lands". So I don't think she would put her people at risk just to maybe remove a strategic weakpoint for the Horde.

So yeah, whether someone else is pulling the strings to force a conflict or someone else in the Horde goes rogue I don't know but it really wouldn't make sense for Sylvanas to paint such a target on her own peoples back and I hope that Blizz know their own lore well enough to know that but it's Blizz so who knows if they even care. And before anyone says "but she attacked Gil'neas", well yeah she did, iirc she wanted to claim it for her people, she was there to fight along side her people (rather than leadering it up in Org like she has to as warchief) and at that point the Gil'neans weren't really part of the Alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbac View Post
    It is covered in Azunite before it burns so its more like Nelfs covered it to make it stronger and give them immortality perhaps, horde did not like that and burned it.
    That's another possible explanation: Someone(probably the druids again) trying to enhance the tree with Azerite and it went horribly wrong? So much easier to blame the horde for burning it than looking for a more complex answer.

Although that picture seems to show Sylvanus, Nathanos, and Varok(?) next to some elf who's been shot, with Forsaken ships in the water. They've clearly conquered their way there. Although why they'd burn the tree instead of occupying it, and what they're even doing there in the first place, makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Not even the slightest bit.
    Wrathion's logic was because of the Legion was coming at that time. And we just finished them...so...

Meanwhile, we have a book preview out that shows her wanting to take up the army against Stormwind, and the trailer for the expansion with her literally talking about how they have to fight for their place again.
    So....wanting to send the Horde against Stormwind somehow translates to burning their way north from Orgrimmar to Teldrassil? You'll need to explain the strategy of that.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    So....wanting to send the Horde against Stormwind somehow translates to burning their way north from Orgrimmar to Teldrassil? You'll need to explain the strategy of that.
    Teldrassil is closer, and a stepping stone for the Alliance to strike back.

Knock the night elves over to Stormwind as refugees, and you corner them.

Either way, that response completely ignores that Wrathion has even LESS reason to do this. He's probably only there because Ebonhorn is with the Horde, and Wrathion doesn't tend to enjoy other black dragons.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-11-07 at 12:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas totally did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Sylvanas totally did it.

It all makes sense now.
    Hey

15+ Year Old Account

Knock the night elves over to Stormwind as refugees, and you corner them.
    No offense to the humans - they are the very best of army fodder - but if my people are refugees in some stinking human city next expansion I'm burning Stormwind down, then the world.

If anyone touches my tree, everyone's gotta die. Elune wills it.
    Last edited by Yvaelle; 2017-11-07 at 12:43 AM.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Chernobyll View Post
    And what is preventing him to do it again, because of what is coming next?
    Arguably, he has the ear of Anduin; He could be the next onyxia. And when the alliance has supremacy over the planet, he can use anduin as his proxy for world domination.

Wut? It's on the other side of the continent from Orgrimmar. For the alliance to attack Org from that angle they'd have to fight all the way down through Ashenvale and the Barrens just to reach Durotar. They'd have to sail their troops from Ironforge and Stormwind across the sea and around the north end of Kalimdor just to land in Darnassus or Darkshore before pushing south over-land.

Alternatively they could try a pincer move with Darnassus troops from the north, and a naval assault from the other side of Org. But again, that has the problem of Darnassian troops having to fight their way through Ashenvale and northern barrens. It makes no sense.

Darnassus and Teldrasil are almost a non-existent threat to the horde. There's virtually zero reason for them to attack it, much less burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yvaelle View Post
    No offense to the humans - they are the very best of army fodder - but if my people are refugees in some stinking human city next expansion I'm burning Stormwind down, then the world.

If anyone touches my tree, everyone's gotta die. Elune wills it.
    I'm 99% sure they said they're adding an area near where Celestine or whatever her name is used to hang out for the night elves/worgen?

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Wut? It's on the other side of the continent from Orgrimmar. For the alliance to attack Org from that angle they'd have to fight all the way down through Ashenvale and the Barrens just to reach Durotar. They'd have to sail their troops from Ironforge and Stormwind across the sea and around the north end of Kalimdor just to land in Darnassus or Darkshore before pushing south over-land.

Alternatively they could try a pincer move with Darnassus troops from the north, and a naval assault from the other side of Org. But again, that has the problem of Darnassian troops having to fight their way through Ashenvale and northern barrens. It makes no sense.

Darnassus and Teldrasil are almost a non-existent threat to the horde. There's virtually zero reason for them to attack it, much less burn it.
    That didn't stop Garrosh from nuking Theramore despite the fact that there was a large distance.

And yet again, that ignores

1) That it groups all their enemies together into one nice castle that could be plagued.
    2) Yes, the troops would march on the ground to get to Org. They did it before for SoO, I don't know why you're acting like it's so impossible.
    3) That STILL doesn't address that it's far more reasons than Wrathion has to burn Teldrassil.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas will burn down Teldrassil to give the Orcs more resources. In the past, Garrosh pointed out correctly that Durotar is too harsh and lacks resources, and this problem persists. Famine has settled in Orgrimmar, and Saurfang demanded a solution from Sylvanas.

While Saurfang said that the Orcs only needed to take Ashenvale, Sylvanas explained to him that all the resources they would get would be quickly depleted to defend Ashenvale from the Elves of Darnassus, who would also be backed up by the Draenei and, soon, the remaining Alliance forces. Her solution was to, in a quick move, to take down Teldrassil, giving a future for the Orcs, but dooming the Night Elves and angering the Ancients.

But of course this is all speculation.