Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Australia becoming the 51st state.

Or collection of states to join the USA.

What do you all think? Would this be in the interests of both countries?

Just a couple of things off the top of my head. Australia depends heavily on the ANZUS security treaty. The geography of Australia is useful to the USA for Pacific presence.

If Australia joined the union, would any Americans want to move and work there? Would any Australians want to move and work in the USA?

I'd love to move there. I have a really good friend in Sydney I'd love to spend more time with.

Would it be in their interests? I don't see why. We're already allies, what are they getting to give up a large degree of their autonomy?
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

I wouldn't mind Australia joining the US, but I don't think the Australian people would want that. Australia is as big as the continental US btw. It has many provinces.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Will never work. For one thing, they would have to give everyone there the right to possess firearms. Can not have their cake and eat it too. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I wouldn't mind Australia joining the US, but I don't think the Australian people would want that. Australia is as big as the continental US btw. It has many provinces.
    This is true, but like Canada a lot of Australian land is quite unsuitable to live in. A very large percentage of Australian people live along the coastline; much like a very large percentage of Canadian people live along the US-Canada border.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    I'd love to move there. I have a really good friend in Sydney I'd love to spend more time with.

Would it be in their interests? I don't see why. We're already allies, what are they getting to give up a large degree of their autonomy?
    With a defence treaty, Australia is trusting that the USA would come to its need in a catastrophic event. If providing assistance to Australia in such a case provided no economic or strategic advantage to the Americans, the US could choose to not intervene. It'd be a dick move, but this is not implausible.

If Australia was a part of the USA, security would be guaranteed.

I do not know what economic or trade implications this would have on both parties.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Will never work. For one thing, they would have to give everyone there the right to possess firearms. Can not have their cake and eat it too. :P
    But then the place would be cleared of all the wildlife that wants to kill and/or eat us. Where's the down side to that? :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No. Dems would get triggered if the Aussies called them 'cunts' for being stupid, which is usually the way I have heard it projected.

I wouldn't wish that curse on anyone. Lets not destroy Australia.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    But then the place would be cleared of all the wildlife that wants to kill and/or eat us. Where's the down side to that? :-)
    Thankyou for the mental image of cowboys yeehawing across the Australian deserts firing revolvers at the venomous spiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Why does the OP think that this in any way shape or form benefits Australia?
    I've no idea what to write here.

Every country belongs to America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Did not happen here. We still have wildlife that can kill us here. lol!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    But I'm sure they'd love to return to having mass shootings and a higher firearm homicide rate like they had before they instated the tough gun laws they have now.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Technically speaking it would need to be 6 states.
    In addition it would need to be via an Australian referendum - which is pretty much the hardest test in any world political system

That is - there is less than zero chance of this ever happening

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll happily decline, thank you!

Never happen but a closer union of all the English Speaking Countries is possible especially now Britain has broken away from Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    But I'm sure they'd love to return to having mass shootings and a higher firearm homicide rate like they had before they instated the tough gun laws they have now.
    Yeah. For a country which has less than 10% of the population , no land borders to defend and not the same social issues or a Constitutional right to posse firearms, you can see why.

But here we debating a fantasy event. lol!

Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    Why does the OP think that this in any way shape or form benefits Australia?
    Security and free movement of people to the largest economy in the world.

Mostly security.

Quote Originally Posted by Saninicus View Post
    What curse? Shitty healthcare and a man-child President?
    Guns would return in number as well as our gun obsession slowly seeped into the "new state". I think Australia is just fine without my culture infecting it.

Why would Australia even want that? Their country is doing better in a lot of metrics than the US. Joining the US would drag them down, not benefit them.