Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eveningforest View Post
    I really don't think they're trying to attract new players to Classic, tbh. It's a nostalgia playground for the vets, a side project to appease the crowds that have been asking for it (and annoying them) year after year again. I think people have been making too much out of this whole thing. Majority won't be sticking around for too long regardless of the number of qol features. Dedicated few will stay and play, those are the ones it's meant for. At least that's my humble view.
    the thing you may be forgetting is that there have been over 100 million UNIQUE players in world of warcraft through its lifetime, and all those players come from many different time periods through the game. If a player began their WoW career during Wrath of the Lich King, who's to say that they might have really liked playing vanilla WoW as long as it had some of the WoTLK convenience features and QoL features?

I think thats what Blizzard is betting on here. They certainly want to appease the very obnoxious and loud vanilla whiners, but they also want to attract as many players from ANY era of the game as possible to bring them back into the fold.

If combined they get to 12-15 million active subs between their retail version of wow and their classic version of WoW, thats a win for them (with most of the active subs being from retail of course).

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    No achievements
    No mount panel
    No pet panel
    No group finders
    No transmog
    No unlocking stuff for BfA or whenever classic is out

Basicly nothing new or was added 2.0 or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Are you saying that the "right" thing is to just slap the complete exact same vanilla WoW game on a server and call it a day?

I guess what I don't really know is, what is the right thing to do? Because if you do what I said above, you appease a very small number of purist wow people, but alienate many more. If you add some QoL features, and keep the spirit of the game the same, you will probably had a much higher retention rate and a higher rate of subscribers. Even the purist WoW people would play on the servers because its as close to what they wanted as possible.
    Nostralius did that and averages nearly 20k users on the weekend and 10k on weekdays for their servers. Their servers had major issues like rollbacks, so all your work and levelling could be just undone one day. The dreaded server shutdown and you'd have to start from scratch again.

Just leave the game as is, it's now WoW:Classic (reimagined) it's WoW:Classic meant to entice the 1.3 million or so people playing private servers alredy (estimations) and bring them back. Let people experience the game how it was in 2004, why would you change anything, WoW become a massive successful because of Vanilla it's what initially hooked people. Let old player experience their nostalgia and let Cata babies, experience the game as it was in Day 1. Wouldn't change a thing let people develop their own opinions.

No changes pls.
    How many threads do we need about this?

Are you saying that the "right" thing is to just slap the complete exact same vanilla WoW game on a server and call it a day?

I guess what I don't really know is, what is the right thing to do? Because if you do what I said above, you appease a very small number of purist wow people, but alienate many more. If you add some QoL features, and keep the spirit of the game the same, you will probably had a much higher retention rate and a higher rate of subscribers. Even the purist WoW people would play on the servers because its as close to what they wanted as possible.
    People asked for vanilla, the right thing to do is give them vanilla, not something else. That's it.
    There were no purists until cry babies asked for changes, it was not a term used by anyone here.

TBH I'm not sure how to explain this accurately. There was a big debate with private servers, there were people asking to get vanilla as it was. Blizzard were against it all and then changed their mind. Are they gonna troll everything that happened by releasing someone different than what was begged for?

Sometimes the right thing to do is not what pleases the most people possible or what brings in the most money. It's doing what is morally right, based on very simple concepts that may or may not hurt people involved. There was no talk of modifying vanilla until people started to realize how wrong they were about how vanilla really was. It's an idea that comes from people who are afraid they are gonna start playing Classic and will quit in the same day because it's too much for them and their ego of "vanilla was so much better than retail" will be hurt.

the thing you may be forgetting is that there have been over 100 million UNIQUE players in world of warcraft through its lifetime, and all those players come from many different time periods through the game. If a player began their WoW career during Wrath of the Lich King, who's to say that they might have really liked playing vanilla WoW as long as it had some of the WoTLK convenience features and QoL features?

I think thats what Blizzard is betting on here. They certainly want to appease the very obnoxious and loud vanilla whiners, but they also want to attract as many players from ANY era of the game as possible to bring them back into the fold.

If combined they get to 12-15 million active subs between their retail version of wow and their classic version of WoW, thats a win for them (with most of the active subs being from retail of course).
    12-15 million? That was the high peak during Wrath, WoW hasn't hit that since, except for like the launch weeks of WoD when they spiked to 10 million. Heck right now, they are probably sitting at about 4-5 million (I bet most of it is EU.) They aren't going to charge extra for classic, they'll just turn it on as a different option in your realm listing when you login to your account. Everyone already subbed gets it, and they'll be happy with whatever extra resubs they get when it goes live.

I don't think they should add modern QoL features inherent to the game itself. However, I don't have any issue with Bnet social integration.

If someone playing Overwatch wants to message me through Bnet I should get that message in any Blizzard game I am playing. How some people think that betrays the spirit of Vanilla is beyond me.

Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post
    People asked for vanilla, the right thing to do is give them vanilla, not something else. That's it.
    There were no purists until cry babies asked for changes, it was not a term used by anyone here.

TBH I'm not sure how to explain this accurately. There was a big debate with private servers, there were people asking to get vanilla as it was. Blizzard were against it all and then changed their mind. Are they gonna troll everything that happened by releasing someone different than what was begged for?

Sometimes the right thing to do is not what pleases the most people possible or what brings in the most money. It's doing what is morally right, based on very simple concepts that may or may not hurt people involved. There was no talk of modifying vanilla until people started to realize how wrong they were about how vanilla really was. It's an idea that comes from people who are afraid they are gonna start playing Classic and will quit in the same day because it's too much for them and their ego of "vanilla was so much better than retail" will be hurt.
    The only changes I think Blizzard is doing is all backend systems. They need to update Vanilla for modern day operating systems and servers. They'll probably want to make it function on their battle.net infrastructure as well, they want to correct stability. So you don't have all the server crashes and long login times that Vanilla had originally.

Honestly, I don't care. Presumably like most people who played Classic and weren't 8-11 at the time, I no longer have the time it'd take to keep both classic and current WoW accounts relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by AzazeltheRuthless View Post
    The only changes I think Blizzard is doing is all backend systems. They need to update Vanilla for modern day operating systems and servers. They'll probably want to make it function on their battle.net infrastructure as well, they want to correct stability. So you don't have all the server crashes and long login times that Vanilla had originally.
    That's fine, but there are people straight up asking for their spec to be viable when it was not in vanilla. It should stay an unusable spec in Classic because that's how it was and that's the right thing to do even if it hurts more than it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevyvia View Post
    Honestly, I don't care. Presumably like most people who played Classic and weren't 8-11 at the time, I no longer have the time it'd take to keep both classic and current WoW accounts relevant.
    How don't you? I mean it takes about 10 minutes to make your current account relevant, with how much welfare gear they give out now.

If you are a fan of the "vanilla" experience, and since Blizzard caved and are now producing a classic experience, do you want a lot of the convenience features that the current game has now?

For example,

• Updated player models
    • Account wide mounts.
    • Achievements in general
    • Account wide achievements
    • A Mount Tab so the actual mount doesn't take up your bag space
    • Higher stack sizes for materials (vanilla it was only 20 max for materials)
    • Larger bags (back in vanilla 18 slot bags were the highest you could get)
    • Guild banks
    • Personal Materials bank
    • Mass auto loot (kill 3 mobs, loot only 1 mob and you get the dropped loot from all 3)
    • LFD
    • Group builder tool
    • the list could literally go on and on and on for hundreds of lines, but you get the point

Do you just want the leveling experience to take as long as it did, and the difficulty of the dungeons, world mobs, raid bosses, to be like it was, but you want all the convenience features that have been added to the game?

I would assume you wouldn't want LFD or the Group Builder tool, because you would want to preserve the sense of community that the game had back then. (which those inevitably destroyed along with cross server groups).

For me to even want to go back to a "classic" wow experience, the game would have to have some of the convenience features of today, but the spirit of the game should still be the difficulty, grindy, long quest chain, huge wonderful world I was used to back then. I would still want achievements, because I think fun things popping up on my screen when I accomplish something is cool, I would want the mount tab where you learn mounts rather than them taking up bag space. I would also want all of the graphical updates they have done to the game to remain, including updated player and NPC models.
    1. No
    2. No
    3. No
    4. No
    5. No
    6. No
    7. No
    8. No
    9. No
    10. No
    11. I would accept the original version, where people could list what dungeon they were interested in, their class, level and spec.

Well, if Blizzard decides to gate the raids like the progression from Vanilla, they would have also to gate the content, like black lotus BoP until 1.7, no oils until 1.9 among all other things that many wow enthusiasts documented. Nostalrius had it documented and it is very likely that they handed it to Blizzard (they probably have it better documented). I don't think we will ever run wow 1.0 or 1.4, I think it will be the last available client 1.12 as well on server side, so all modifications on both client/server side but with possible gated content.

I think it is undeniable that blizzard will add social experience to the Classic Wow and integrate it into the battle.net (if they do, probably they will have another wow client, or... integrate this into the current wow client with different files).

Updated models: wow, almost any pirate wow player in those realms wanted WoD models and used modified patch files to get them.

Achievements, armory, etc... I think this is not something that would "crush" the experience of going through wow classic, but that involves a lot of changes to the client, if they ever use the old client, that wouldn't be possible.

Even though it is not even available today and they are still working, do you people wonder what will happen AFTER the classic? I mean, you will not play wow classic forever, at some point (and believe me, it will come sooner than you think) there will be no content and nothing to do. It is time to think about Progressive Realms instead of "classic realms".

We will, eventually, face the fact that you cannot play Vanilla wow for 10 years. That never happened in the history, and for sure it will not happen again. At some point the realm will have to be upgraded to TBC, WoTLK etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    • Updated player models - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla.
    • Account wide mounts. - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla, keep 'em in your bags.
    • Achievements in general - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla.
    • Account wide achievements - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla.
    • A Mount Tab so the actual mount doesn't take up your bag space - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla, keep 'em in your bags.
    • Higher stack sizes for materials (vanilla it was only 20 max for materials) - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla, bank characters will be a thing again!
    • Larger bags (back in vanilla 18 slot bags were the highest you could get) - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla.
    • Guild banks - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla.
    • Personal Materials bank - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla.
    • Mass auto loot (kill 3 mobs, loot only 1 mob and you get the dropped loot from all 3) - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla, loot 'em all. KNEEL DOWN AND PICK IT UP ONE BY ONE! *devil cackle*
    • LFD - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla, you gotta stand around and look for people, then form your group and meet at the dungeon. There might be a slight chance of one of you having to go back to the city to find a new member.
    • Group builder tool - Nope, sorry. Wasn't in vanilla.
    • the list could literally go on and on and on for hundreds of lines, but you get the point - Yes, the point is, if you want this list and more, then you honestly didn't want vanilla/Classic
    What is the damn point in asking for Vanilla/Classic when you don't actually want it? Sorry, if all this, then we're talking experiences that weren't really part of vanilla, or the nostalgia. We're talking people wanting to reboot the franchise.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Swalload View Post

I don't disagree with you at all. You make completely valid points, and I agree with you. But again, from Blizzard's perspective, they are out to make the best business decisions possible, and I can't help but believe that Blizzard is doing this WoW: Classic to try to re-capture as many players as possible, and what that means is to make some concessions as to how vanilla was mechanically, but not in spirit. I believe thats why they called this game WoW:Classic and not WoW:Vanilla because they know that the term "vanilla" has the connotation of how the game exactly was. "Classic" gives them some leverage to modernize some of the systems and possibly even some of the class imbalances that were present in vanilla, not to mention some of the game breaking bugs that were present.

If I had to guess / bet, what we will see with WoW:Classic is a game that captures the spirit of what vanilla was, but keeps some of the QoL / Convenience features of what the game currently has.

The game will require the player to go through all the attunements, and the difficult questing experience, and the economy issues and pvp issues, and gearing challenges, and grouping challenges. BUT, there will be things like mass looting, larger bags, guild banks, materials banks, maybe even the warlock summon stone, instead of individual summoning. Stuff like that will be present, but thats just my guess. I could be completely wrong, and for the sake of the vanilla purist whiners, i hope you get what you want, but just know, I won't be playing with you if you do get what you want, i'll just be happy knowing that you are paying a sub fee once again for WoW in whatever form you play it in

other than character models

everything u listed is a deal breaker

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't want any of the things that you mentioned. Not even one of them.

It's not that they're 'bad' features ; but adding them would lessen the main selling point of Classic WoW ---- it needs to be different to the modern game.

If Blizzard decides to go ahead and incorporate stuff like that, I'm not going to throw a fit about it. But I'll be very very disappointed, and I certainly won't play the game. I'll just stick to the current/live version (which I enjoy).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    What is the damn point in asking for Vanilla/Classic when you don't actually want it? Sorry, if all this, then we're talking experiences that weren't really part of vanilla, or the nostalgia. We're talking people wanting to reboot the franchise.
    Thats fine and all, but blizzard is not going to invest in a product that loses them money, plain and simple. So if the cost to benefit ratio isn't profitable, they will more than likely pull the plug on the classic experiment.

I would actually play a classic server where the spirit of the game is the same, and I had to attune and gear up the same as when I did it back then, i just won't play on a server that includes the bugs and lack of QoL features, thats all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Other than some class fixes and bug changes I want vanilla as vanilla vanilla

If you are a fan of the "vanilla" experience, and since Blizzard caved and are now producing a classic experience, do you want a lot of the convenience features that the current game has now?

For example,

• Updated player models
    • Account wide mounts.
    • Achievements in general
    • Account wide achievements
    • A Mount Tab so the actual mount doesn't take up your bag space
    • Higher stack sizes for materials (vanilla it was only 20 max for materials)
    • Larger bags (back in vanilla 18 slot bags were the highest you could get)
    • Guild banks
    • Personal Materials bank
    • Mass auto loot (kill 3 mobs, loot only 1 mob and you get the dropped loot from all 3)
    • LFD
    • Group builder tool
    • the list could literally go on and on and on for hundreds of lines, but you get the point
    You literally ask "do you want to play the current version of WoW". What's the point of the question even?